Author Topic: Modern Motorcycles  (Read 2548 times)

anglojaxon

• Bulleteer
  • AngloJaxon
Reply #30 on: March 27, 2024, 05:34:37 pm
I've been looking at "modern" bikes for years, and they all left me with an empty feeling. They are all just so densely packaged, and consequently, unfriendly to work on.

Maybe you want a Moto Guzzi V7. I know I do.
2019 Interceptor 650
2017 R1200 GS

Gone in 60

• Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor 650 - Vindaloo
Reply #31 on: March 28, 2024, 12:12:48 am
So do I. It would fit in great with my retro-modern tastes and lack of water-cooling. Just don't have room for one more!
'21 Interceptor 650
'12 Bonneville T100
'13 CB1100

Streetliight

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: March 29, 2024, 06:05:23 am
So do I. It would fit in great with my retro-modern tastes and lack of water-cooling. Just don't have room for one more!

Thirded for the Moto Guzzi interest...If there were a Moto Guzzi dealer here in Utah, I might have ended up with a v7 instead of a GT650.

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #33 on: March 29, 2024, 11:48:07 am
The Guzzi dealership here seems far more focused on Vespas than Guzzis.  That being said, until the last year or so I saw more V7s on the road than Royal Enfields.  Of course both brands are vastly outnumbered by Triumphs.

jackthebiker

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: March 29, 2024, 01:42:51 pm
In January of 2023 I went to the nearest Guzzi dealer, (200 miles) to buy a new V7 850 Special. I instead bought a V85 TT adventurer, I put almost 4000 trouble free miles on it but sold it in early summer. I enjoyed riding it but this 71 year old man did not enjoy getting on and off it. I hope to buy a V7 Special soon.
48 motorcycles purchased in my life from 12 different brands. Currently own a 2022 Royal Enfield 650 INT and a 2022 Kawasaki W800.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #35 on: March 29, 2024, 03:58:36 pm
I bought a new V7III to replace my beloved but cursed Interceptor.  I've ridden it for 14,000 miles and absolutely love it.  It's been trouble free and remains great fun to ride.  There really is a characteristic feel these bikes have that's missing from many modern bikes.

The weak dealer network certainly scares some potential buyers off but I was very lucky to have a terrific long time Guzzi dealer right here in Prescott.

I was very tempted to buy the new V100 Mandello recently but I came down with a bad case of "triple fever" and chose a new XSR 900 Yamaha instead.

The latest V7 is now an 850 with several detail improvements and a few more horsepower than my example.Compared to the RE 650 series aftermarket parts and mods for the Guzzi are higher priced.   Normal service and maintenance parts are about the same.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #36 on: March 30, 2024, 01:46:52 pm
I was strongly tempted by the XSR but in the end went a different direction,  for an R NineT.

How do you find the Yamaha?

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #37 on: March 30, 2024, 03:22:20 pm
Hi Breezin,

I only have 1500 miles on the XSR but it's been a fun bonding process.  This is perhaps the first motorcycle I've owned that doesn't cry out for any mods aside from basic ergonomic adjustments to footpads, bars, and seat.

I've coveted three cylinder bikes since the first Triumph Trident 750. The sound of a triple under hard acceleration absolutely blows my dress up. 

The CP 3 engine is simply remarkable for it's flexibility. Tons of power but never a rough edge.  The ride quality is almost plush compared to anything I've owned while the cornering feel is crisp and precise.  Braking is what I expect from a modern sporting bike.

Other "modern" features that I'm pleased to have are the 6 axis IMU, the cruise control, and, most of all, the quick shifter.

I have to admit that after many years of ownership of brands like RE, Moto Guzzi, and Ducati having a bike from one of the Japanese makers gives a feeling of security.  The MSRP of just over 10 large is icing on the cake.

Your choice of an R 9T seems a good way to go.  I'm sure it will serve you well.

JohnLA

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: March 30, 2024, 04:18:48 pm
Really enjoying this thread...

I was pretty sure my GT 650 would be the last bike I'd ever own. I love the looks, the ride, etc. The only thing I wasn't really crazy for was the quality of some of the parts, but I was pleasantly surprised when I found-out the price. I still think it's great value for the money, and I have upgraded a bunch of stuff on it.

Still, I like high-end suff! lol I don't know if it's because I'm a bit of a snob, and/or I appreciate well-made (ie expensive) things.  ;D  I am surprised how much I am liking the new and very expensive BMW R12. And, usually, I'm not into "cruiser" style motorcycles. I've loved classic R "boxer" BMW's since I can remember. I'm curious how much you could modify the new R12 towards a more Cafe-Racer look? Also wondering how much different the ergonomics are compared to the GT 650...

Cheers.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 01, 2024, 01:51:03 pm
Good review Jack, thanks!

All of that fits with what I would have expected, although I thought it actually would have a raw edge. It was that bit of rough in an air-cooled beast -- I suppose anti-modern -- that made me go for the too-expensive NineT, a compromise between basic and sophisticated, with just enough modern features like cruise control and riding modes to keep it right side of retro.

Thanks also for the very apt and entirely new to me idiom, 'blows my dress up'. I laughed out loud at that!  ;D

Hi Breezin,

I only have 1500 miles on the XSR but it's been a fun bonding process.  This is perhaps the first motorcycle I've owned that doesn't cry out for any mods aside from basic ergonomic adjustments to footpads, bars, and seat.

I've coveted three cylinder bikes since the first Triumph Trident 750. The sound of a triple under hard acceleration absolutely blows my dress up. 

The CP 3 engine is simply remarkable for it's flexibility. Tons of power but never a rough edge.  The ride quality is almost plush compared to anything I've owned while the cornering feel is crisp and precise.  Braking is what I expect from a modern sporting bike.

Other "modern" features that I'm pleased to have are the 6 axis IMU, the cruise control, and, most of all, the quick shifter.

I have to admit that after many years of ownership of brands like RE, Moto Guzzi, and Ducati having a bike from one of the Japanese makers gives a feeling of security.  The MSRP of just over 10 large is icing on the cake.

Your choice of an R 9T seems a good way to go.  I'm sure it will serve you well.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #40 on: April 01, 2024, 07:01:37 pm
I just visited the BMW site for a look at their latest.  The R 12 is a surprise, it looks quite appealing until I consider the price, YIKES !!

The  R9 series is very interesting to me.  It seems a great blending of classic concept with modern technology.   A former RE forum member from Australia who is quite experienced bought one and was very pleased even though he recently replaced it with the latest and greatest Monster.

The BMW website is certainly a seductive sales tool.  I think it's the best manufacturer website I've seen.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 02, 2024, 11:31:21 am
They have slick marketing all right, but their naming system is so confusing. R12 and NineT used to be separate.

And you're right, the R12 is massively overpriced. I couldn't justify a new one.

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: April 02, 2024, 02:09:34 pm
In my fifth year of owning the Conti 650 GT, the time for “change for the sake of change” had arrived. I thought the Conti would be my forever bike as it had the classic style and fitted my frame perfectly.
We’d embarked on many 1000 kilometre plus adventures and even after a long days ride, when we hit the twisties in the mountains, the knees hugged the tank and often the boots scraped the curves and much enjoyment was had.

I’d had a day each on 2023 models of Bonneville Street Twin/Speed Twin 900 and 1200, as well as a T120. These have great engines and very economical for their size. However, I found the heat blow-back onto the rider, as well as the jerky fuelling, was a deal breaker for me. We have a sub tropical climate and summers can be brutal. I always enjoyed getting on the Continental after handing the Triumphs back.

Similarly, I had a day on a 2023 BMW 750 GS Sport, fully loaded including trick electronic suspension. This bike rode beautifully over the bumpy valley roads. She was 227 kg with a seat height an inch or two, too high for me, thus too top heavy. Even with the lower seat option, I felt it may still be too top heavy. Once again however, the heat, especially around my left boot, was searing after only twenty odd minutes! The runout model price was stupidly cheap given the specs, but it didn’t “do it for me”. I wanted the modern classic style.

All these bikes were ridden for hours through the valley roads out behind the Gold Coast hinterland, familiar roads I’ve ridden many times on the Enfields (and Yammies, Ducati, Hondas and Suzukis).
The Honda 919 was mentioned in an earlier post and I owned one for a few years. I loved that bike which we called a CB900 Hornet down here. I found it a ton of fun in the hinterlands and valley runs.

I concluded that the classic styled water cooled bikes just ran too hot.
I wanted air/oil cooled and that’s when the RNineT came into the mix.
Too pretty - too expensive - no mudguards to keep the cow pats and mud at bay - too thirsty - stupidly expensive accessories….. There were plenty of reasons to strike it off my list.
However the wonder of “life with a boxer twin” had me procrastinating over this BMW, for about the last year or so. But at the asking price, I daren’t even test ride one during this time for fear of loving it!

It’s worth mentioning that my introduction to, and first ever ride on a motorbike, was on an R60 in the mid ‘70s. I pillioned on the back of this BM’ for over a thousand kilometres each way, for a “lads only” trip to camp at the iconic Mt. Panorama, Bathurst, for the great car race. Such a fantastic experience.

So it is that the BMW R60 Boxer started my passion for motorcycles………….maybe something subliminal there……….

A couple of weeks ago, in at the dealership, a black RNineT, 2023 model was just added as a demo. She had the heated grips, cruise control, Classic tubeless wire wheels and some sort of intelligent head light option included. As a “runout” model (with barely thirty kilometres on the clock) she had five years warranty and roadside assist. As a demo, she had three years full servicing for free. Then a massive  price reduction to boot. (I did the sums in comparison with the coming R12 and the R12NineT but could not justify the extra coin for those.)

This was the opportunity I’d been waiting for - IF a test ride showed it fitted me and the fuelling was as smooth as the GT 650, and lack of heat transfer matched the 650. The test loop was the same as I’d tested the 650 on originally so it was a fair comparison - a mixture of suburbia, twisties and motorway.

The BMW was just as easy to ride as the Conti and the transition was seamless.
She’s 221 kg but this weight is so low and with a seat height similar to the Conti, not at all noticeable or problematic. Wheeling it about the garage, whatever, is very easy.

DEAL DONE!

The Conti sadly went. It will be missed!
As purely a leisure rider and never a commuter, I’d travelled more kilometres on her than any other bike I’ve owned and thoroughly enjoyed it!
I will be looking at the 650 Shogun and the R12 at some time in the future too, but no hurry just right now!
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Tuh

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: April 02, 2024, 09:42:04 pm
It seems the bmw marketing department found our forums.
What a load of crap about butt ugly transformer lookalike overpriced bikes.

Of course our RE's are not perfect. No bike is.
But how on earth can you compare these uncreative, 13inadozen watercookers to our beautifull super customisable classics? That is truly beyond me

To each their own ofcourse. But please praise those brands on their own brandforums

Quest

• Grease Monkey
Reply #44 on: April 02, 2024, 10:39:13 pm
It seems the bmw marketing department found our forums.
What a load of crap about butt ugly transformer lookalike overpriced bikes.

Of course our RE's are not perfect. No bike is.
But how on earth can you compare these uncreative, 13inadozen watercookers to our beautifull super customisable classics? That is truly beyond me

To each their own ofcourse. But please praise those brands on their own brandforums
8) But tell us what you really think ?!?!
This made me smile. I've had a couple of different BMWs over the years. I always referred to owning them as like having an evil girlfriend.