Author Topic: Bullet Classic EFI new to me...Tyre upgrades..any recommended brands?  (Read 3075 times)

jetblack11

• Neophyte
Hello Guys... I'm new here...Just got an Bullet Classic 500 EFI 2014...from Fleabay 2600 miles full history £2000 a absolute bargin I think!!

Runs nice now with tank drained of stale fuel, fresh high octane and a new iridium plug, A good clean and polish amazing what aluminum foil does for rust on rims and exhaust.

It has the original Avon tyres, ribbed front and block pattern rear they look a bit dry and aged...I wonder what you guys think are good grip/value tyres?   

Cheers ...Trev

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
You can get some fresh Avon's.
  Also, Dunlop is making their K70s again. They have a great feel.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Welcome to the Horde! That's a fine looking ride, and I'd say you did well for £2,000.

I like the Dunlop K70s on my Iron Barrel. I think they also get semi-decent purchase in the mixed surfaces over which I occasionally may briefly ride. In fact, I'm just about to renew the rear one again after about 8,000 miles, though my riding style might admittedly be described as "sedate" or "like following Grandma to the Doctor's", as another esteemed member once put it. Opinions on rubber vary, so a good rummage through the Forum Archives would be in order to read what other folks think of other options. Notably, a lot of folks prefer the Avon AM26 "Roadriders" upgrade over the OEMs, but others are happily tooling around on all sorts of brands.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 05:45:17 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

TrianglePete

• Bulleteer
  • U.S. Spec RE parts & THE FIN intake.
Wow  Looks like new for a Great price.

K-70s for my 2013 test mule.

Watch out high-test will turn the

Pipe Blue....

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Notably, a lot of folks prefer the Avon AM26 "Roadriders" upgrade over the OEMs, but others are happily tooling around on all sorts of brands.
I thought that the AM26s WERE factory supplied on all the EFI machines, but from this 2011 article, it appears that G5 Bullets were fitted with the Speedmaster / Safety Mileage while Classic 500s got the Roadriders.  The reviewer noted the improvement in handling that resulted from the Classic's setup.

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/news/2011-royal-enfield-bullet-g5-deluxe-bullet-classic/

If you are interested in "old Inch" designation, 100% profile tires, I complied a list of candidates last year when I was shopping.  https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=29108.0

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Thanx "axman88"! I actually had that list of yours specifically in mind among the several helpful items in the Archives. You clearly put quite a bit of work into compiling it. Hence that well-deserved, if belated, new "Karma Point" in your profile.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 06:54:06 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
My 2011 Bullet came with Avon Slipmaster II tires, which wore quickly. I replaced them at around 5K miles with Dunlop K70, which seem to be holding up better and also have better traction, but still have a squared-off profile like the Avon tires that seem more suitable for a sidecar rig.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

muezler

• Scooter
  • Austria - Styria
So far I can only speak on the Avon Roadrider MK II that came stock with my Bullet, and they are of a good compound.
They definitely are an overkill for the Bullet's riding capabilities with there speed rating of "V" but they stick like glue to the asphalt.
I ride a lot of twisty mountain roads and serpentines with steep up and downhills and until now I was never able to overwhelm the tires.
They easy fall into corners with good tracking.

Does the leading front fork need 18" or 19"?

If you are not a stickler for an authentic classic look and can live with something modern looking, I would recommend the Avon Roadrider MK II with a little bit more pressure than stated in your owner manual.

BTW: My OCD is running wild....please add an bolt on the rear side of your seat bench.  :P

Cheers

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
My 2011 Bullet came with Avon Slipmaster II tires, which wore quickly. I replaced them at around 5K miles with Dunlop K70, which seem to be holding up better and also have better traction, but still have a squared-off profile like the Avon tires that seem more suitable for a sidecar rig.

It's funny with the K70 tires. They look 'squared off', but the have a great feel for leaning into a turn. These tires were standard on BSA and Triumph bikes.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
It's funny with the K70 tires. They look 'squared off', but the have a great feel for leaning into a turn. These tires were standard on BSA and Triumph bikes.

My 1971 Triumph Bonneville came from the factory with K70s. I thought they were a pretty good tire at the time - until the state started cutting rain grooves into freeway pavement which caused the tires to skate side to side while riding over them. That was really scary, so I switched to K81 "triangular" tires. Unfortunately those were not a lot better and had a tendency to fall into a turn, which was kind of upsetting. But things eventually got better as front tires started loosing their radial grooves and the state changed their freeway cutting to a less radical design.

For whatever reason, the new K70s are much better. They don't move around as much as the original tires on rain grooves and seem to stick better, too.  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
I am the odd one out, I have MITAS tyre's front (H01)and back(H02), perfect for my B5 classic look with modern grip.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Make that 2 odd ones out  ;D

Running the same as johno on my B5 also.

I had missed axman88s list so I'll add the links to that post for the Mitas.

wr6133

• Scooter
2600 miles full history £2000 a absolute bargin I think!!

I thought I was good at finding bargains but hats off to you, that's an absolute steal!

Looks nice, well done on the purchase.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
When I wore thru the rear Avon Roadrider (Mk1), at about 7,000 miles, I went for the same thing for two reasons. The traction is excellent and they are made in the UK. A British bike should have British tires.......even if it is made in India.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Mine came with the K70 tyres, although the bike shop the previous owner had fit the tyres put the rear one on in reverse rotation. While that is likely not to matter, the handling wasn't great and the tyre lasted about 2000 kms.

I have replaced it with exactly the same tyre and fitted it in the correct orientation. Been on the bike for 3000 kms now and still looks like it's got 3/4 tread depth left.

They're a good tyre and handle well. I take mine mostly on-road but I will hit the local fire trails and rutted dirt roads along with my friend on his BMW 1200GS. He still can't keep up with me, and I mostly chug along in 1st or 2nd using the lovely low end torque, low power and seldom worry about losing traction or dropping the bike. The K70s handle the dirt fine, with the occasional sand traps to make you tighten your sphincter.
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C