Author Topic: DICK MANN  (Read 1290 times)

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 02, 2021, 03:47:26 pm
Duck Mann passed away!

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 03:50:25 pm
 Sorry.    " DICK  MANN ".     Olde fumble fingers!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 04:06:05 pm
Truly a bit of history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Mann
   Dick Mann (June 13, 1934 – April 26, 2021) was an American professional motorcycle racer. He was a two-time winner of the A.M.A. Grand National Championship. Mann was inducted in the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in 1993, and the Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 1998.[1] He was one of the few riders to ride motocross and Observed Trials as well as dirt flat tracks, TT (tourist trophy) and road racing.[2]
   Mann was the second-winningest rider in AMA Grand National Series history with 24 national victories.[1] His career on the pro circuit spanned the early 1950s to the mid-1970s.[2] He was known for being one of the most talented and versatile riders, and for wearing a cheap straw hat while working on his motorcycle.[3]

-good read -
https://www.cycleworld.com/dick-mann-showed-grit-on-and-off-motorcycle-track/
Dick Mann Showed Grit On And Off The Motorcycle Track
In a career spanning nearly 50 years, ‘Bugs’ modernized every facet of American motorcycle racing

https://motocrossactionmag.com/godspeed-dick-mann-1934-2021/
(flat track) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2R36KijQ_M&t=5s

x
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 04:18:41 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 06:29:50 pm
I was privileged to know Dick Mann. He was without a doubt the best and most versatile racer America has ever produced and one of the few that capable of beating guys like Mike Hailwood in a head to head race. He could do it all from building his own fames and engines to winning two Grand National Championships, and he was every inch a gentleman.  BTW those cheap straw hats he wore were women's gardening hats that he bought because they were cheap and kept him cool.  ;)

I guess I should also mention that he hated the nickname "Bugs." But never let on to his fans.

God Speed Dick you'll be missed.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 08:08:19 pm
I've been around him a number of times but didn't really know him. He and I were both admiring the same bike at a Old British Sunday. He didn't feel compelled to tell me who he was and pretended I didn't recognize him. We just looked at some stranger's bike.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 12:08:27 am
I've been around him a number of times but didn't really know him. He and I were both admiring the same bike at a Old British Sunday. He didn't feel compelled to tell me who he was and pretended I didn't recognize him. We just looked at some stranger's bike.

I had an "in." When he was working for John Taylor at Cemoto in Schenectady NY two friends of mine worked with him. I've never been shy so when I saw in a diner one morning I just walked up, introduced myself and dropped my friend's names. Most guys would have blown me off, but he was gracious enough to sit and talk. Later I'd see him at the AHRMA Nationals or spectating at a GNC and he always had time to say hello and chat for a few minutes no matter how busy he was or how annoying I might have been to him. He was every inch a gentleman.  I tried to find a decent photo of the DMR (Dick Mann Replica) OSSA, this was the best I could do. And I still haven't figured out how to insert a large photos. I remain computer challenged . :-\ I was told that on New Years eve 1970, he was stuck in Schenectady with nothing to do and no where to go. So he laid an OSSA Stiletto engine on the floor and chalked a frame around it. When the guys came back after the New Years break, the first DMR was up and running. He called it the ST1 OSSA, for Short Track #1.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 12:20:20 am by zimmemr »

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 04:42:04 am
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R