Author Topic: Muffler for experimenting  (Read 5162 times)

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 11:54:28 am
You Go Davy....    I am watching carefully .    When I get my spring work in order   Will try the same with a500

One problem I for see is that the cat matrix needs to be as close to the front pipe as possible  needs High Heat

Must keep it hot to react         Also a thin aftermarket muffler will be over heated for extended periods.

The Only Thing We Can't Do     Is What We Haven't Thought Of Yet          Henry Ford....
You are correct about both positioning and the possibility of damaging the muffler. An insulating layer may help with the latter.

TrianglePete

• Bulleteer
  • U.S. Spec RE parts & THE FIN intake.
Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 12:12:52 pm
I have not seen a 650 muffler in person....

Maybe....     cut the original right after the matrix    retaining the thicker metal and tight connection to pipe.

Then choose an aftermarket silencer   for lightness and sound quality.   Get out your TIG     No reason to

have a heavy metal shell  all the to the end.  We don't have to conform to db regs  But we should keep it clean....

I am sure that blows your budget...    It is fun to think of new designs.....

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 01:15:40 pm

Maybe....     cut the original right after the matrix    retaining the thicker metal and tight connection to pipe.

Then choose an aftermarket silencer   for lightness and sound quality.   Get out your TIG     No reason to

have a heavy metal shell  all the to the end.  We don't have to conform to db regs  But we should keep it clean....

For reference, Revelry Cycles has a video that shows a cutaway of the muffler.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uMtNegFhoA  Go to 6:10.

TrianglePete

• Bulleteer
  • U.S. Spec RE parts & THE FIN intake.
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 01:36:11 pm
Thanks for the link...

I am sticking with cutting right after the matrix and welding on what you might like.

They extend the heavy shell all the way  and add a lot of heavy steel to satisfy db regs.

Still Having Fun     You will stay Young if You Keep Your Brain Working    exercise...

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 02:00:40 pm
Thanks for the link...

I am sticking with cutting right after the matrix and welding on what you might like.

They extend the heavy shell all the way  and add a lot of heavy steel to satisfy db regs.

Still Having Fun     You will stay Young if You Keep Your Brain Working    exercise...
I'm thinking of trying to peel the metal shell away so I can wedge the rest inside a muffler, but it all depends on the construction details.

And I agree about keeping the brain working. I plan to retire in a few months and want to have interesting projects going to engage my mind.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 02:15:43 pm
I'm thinking of trying to peel the metal shell away so I can wedge the rest inside a muffler, but it all depends on the construction details.

And I agree about keeping the brain working. I plan to retire in a few months and want to have interesting projects going to engage my mind.
I might not fully understand your goals. If it boils down to light weigh / with a cat / and classic looks ... take a cruise through the Cone Engineering site. Pretty affordable. Super helpful folks.
https://coneeng.com/
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 02:23:08 pm
I might not fully understand your goals. If it boils down to light weigh / with a cat / and classic looks ... take a cruise through the Cone Engineering site. Pretty affordable. Super helpful folks.
https://coneeng.com/
I skimmed the site yesterday and didn't notice a cat option.  I'll have to take another look.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 04:19:00 pm
I skimmed the site yesterday and didn't notice a cat option.  I'll have to take another look.
Sorry, sloppy writing on my part. They don't offer the cats, they have the stainless outer bodies (cones) into which you can insert a cat such as the type I posted earlier but with the exit-end cut off. Then you can silence to taste and put on the end cap.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 04:55:41 pm
Sorry, sloppy writing on my part. They don't offer the cats, they have the stainless outer bodies (cones) into which you can insert a cat such as the type I posted earlier but with the exit-end cut off. Then you can silence to taste and put on the end cap.
Thanks.  That saves me some digging. I plan to start with just disassembling a stock muffler, measuring and figure out whether my idea is workable.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #24 on: May 01, 2021, 06:56:32 pm

Effektor

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: May 01, 2021, 09:12:23 pm
Where are you located? Those things are heavy, shipping might be brutal.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 04:09:15 pm
Sort of a long shot, but let's discuss: Does anybody have a damaged stock muffler that they would be willing to donate for research? I want to lighten the exhaust system on my bike but keep all of the catalyst functions. I hate smog.  I'd like to see if the cat can readily be removed from a stock muffler without damaging the cat, and whether the cat can reasonably be installed into something like TEC Stinger or Emgo slip-on of some sort.

If you are in Florida... you can have mine.  Come pick them up... I am not shipping these heavy suckers...  :)
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: May 03, 2021, 04:53:26 pm
If you are in Florida... you can have mine.  Come pick them up... I am not shipping these heavy suckers...  :)
I'm in southwest Virginia. Another member has offered a set. We're just waiting until we have a shipping quote to make sure my nearly nonexistent budget will cover it. I'm reasonably confident it will work out. Should be fun.

frankycello

• Neophyte
Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 10:20:33 am
I found these guys know about exhausts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uMtNegFhoA&t=956s

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: May 15, 2021, 01:33:24 am
Update on the project:  Another forum member donated his stock system for the cause of experimentation.  I'm just getting back to work after several months off due to medical issues, and I'm starting the retirement process.  I have literally no idea whether I'm going to have time soon to start cutting them up, but I hope it's soon. I'm an old mechanic, so I have suitable tools.  Just have to have the time and energy.