Author Topic: Suspension is crap  (Read 53117 times)

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
on: June 05, 2020, 11:59:40 pm
Below is part of a review from "motorcycle.com"

They quickly discovered that the RE 650 suspension is AFU  !!!

The Royal Enfield’s boingy ride is clearly contributed to by the lack of rebound in the fork. I’m less clear about what is going on in the rear. In a late night discussion with another journalist that had us outside the hotel bouncing an Interceptor on its suspension, he attempted to convince me that the back end was actually packing (i. e. not extending quickly enough from bump to bump, resulting in less available suspension travel).  While the suspension forces we were able to generate by hand did have the back of the bike uncompressing much slower than the front, the sensations I’ve gotten from the seat told me that, after high-speed compression, the back rebounds too quickly. Clearly, I need to get some more seat time on this bike to be sure. However, I feel that the fact that I’m having this internal debate at all points to how well the suspension on the Royal Enfield Twins works for bikes in this price range

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 10:46:31 am
A good illustration of press pack dynamics. They do tend to bounce off each other,  and none seems able to resist the now entrenched Interceptor shocks meme.

I think the suspension is ok. Nothing to write home about - either way.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 01:00:28 pm
does your interceptor go boing boing down the road...especially certain speeds?

I have had 9 other motorcycles....none rode so crappy as the interceptor..

I'm not talking "performance handling" type stuff..

I'm talking just a harsh, bumpy, boing boing ride quality....just straight line riding on smooth roads...one little bump sets it off....bump...boing boing boing boing.....smooth....bump...boing boing boing...etc.

Is it just me?  Is it just my particular bike?  Many have the same complaint...do others not care?  do they not notice?  Do they consider that harsh ride to be "good"?

I watch Fillingham riding in his videos...I can see his bike going boing boing...yet he says nothing about it!

Do I have to spend an additional $1200 to get this sorted out?  (now getting up to Triumph price range)

I have tried hard to "get used" to the ride....but this week I rode my other bikes...when I got back on the Int 650 I again realized how the ride quality is total crap!

I'm to the point now, where I dread riding this bike....no fun...would rather ride something else...

anybody want to make me an offer?

Cookie

A good illustration of press pack dynamics. They do tend to bounce off each other,  and none seems able to resist the now entrenched Interceptor shocks meme.

Woozer

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 01:01:13 pm
When pushed hard (anything more than 6/10), particularly on bumpy roads, it gets really unsettled and nervous. What do you expect for $5800? It had to be built to a price somewhere. Suspension upgrades are readily available. Complaining about suspension dynamics on such an inexpensive and otherwise excellent bike smacks of “The food is horrible, and the portions are so small!”  For the price, you could have excellent handling and a crappy motor. That would be called a supermoto.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 01:14:46 pm

Good observation @Breezin. The moto press is a little like theater critics. If either gives a 100% glowing review there is the suspicion that some one is sleeping with somebody.

When Honda introduced the Fireblade (CBR900RR) it set the mark for modern motorcycles. It was faster, lighter and rode circles around anything else, by a wide margin.  In my opinion, the press couldn't fully understand, much less explain "mass centralization" so when they spotted that 16 inch front wheel ... they agreed to label the bike as "twitchy".  I just read a review about the new Ducati Street fighter. It has 208 hp and the writer's complaint was that, even though it has every known computerized rider assist, it doesn't come with cruise control. It will be ever so...

The good news is that the RE 650 twins are so good that the press has singled out an issue which can be adjusted out or accessorized to a solution.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 01:35:26 pm
I'm not talking about pushing hard...I don't ride hard....I'm not talking 'handing"

I'm talking about 50 mph constant speed..straight line on a smooth road.....

just a tiny bump sets it off...It goes boing boing boing....

I've only owned "cheap" bikes.... they all ride just fine...

Cookie

When pushed hard (anything more than 6/10), particularly on bumpy roads, it gets really unsettled and nervous. What do you expect for $5800? It had to be built to a price somewhere. Suspension upgrades are readily available. Complaining about suspension dynamics on such an inexpensive and otherwise excellent bike smacks of “The food is horrible, and the portions are so small!”  For the price, you could have excellent handling and a crappy motor. That would be called a supermoto.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 01:37:08 pm
But this author described EXACTLY what I feel on my bike...

So I guess we are both full of shite?

Cookie

Good observation @Breezin. The moto press is a little like theater critics. If either gives a 100% glowing review there is the suspicion that some one is sleeping with somebody.

When Honda introduced the Fireblade (CBR900RR) it set the mark for modern motorcycles. It was faster, lighter and rode circles around anything else, by a wide margin.  In my opinion, the press couldn't fully understand, much less explain "mass centralization" so when they spotted that 16 inch front wheel ... they agreed to label the bike as "twitchy".  I just read a review about the new Ducati Street fighter. It has 208 hp and the writer's complaint was that, even though it has every known computerized rider assist, it doesn't come with cruise control. It will be ever so...

The good news is that the RE 650 twins are so good that the press has singled out an issue which can be adjusted out or accessorized to a solution.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 04:11:25 pm
But this author described EXACTLY what I feel on my bike...

So I guess we are both full of shite?

Cookie
NOT AT ALL !
I am not suggesting that you are wrong. I think you know that I went all the way and spent $600usd to convert the front suspension on my bike to a cartridge system. I was commenting on the nature of moto journalists. Also I'm saying that these front ends can be made much better by means that are fairly simple and not as radical as I chose to to do.

First off would be to change the fork oil. The fork oil in my bike was actually more like motor oil than fork oil or ATF. AND the oil in each fork was different from the other.
- Depending on ones weight and how hard you charge the corners, you can go with different viscosity and/or volume fork fluid.
- Another quick and easy improvement is to replace the fork caps with ones that have preload adjusters. Think of them as variable spacers.
- Next up is different springs and emulators
- Then all the way to the conversion to the cartridge. That is like having upside down forks that are still right side up. And adjustable for compression, rebound and preload.

I know that a lot of people say that this all should be done at the factory. But it is not. It is also not done by Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha and others for their cost sensitive models. With a few exceptions, I have gone through this with a lot of motorcycles. And even the ones that came with high end forks, I still had to refresh the fork oil periodically.

Personally, I'm glad that RE directed the available budget at SS braided brake lines, Bosch electronics, super duty crank bearings, etc.

Some folks will be happy enough just to get rid of that annoying click/clank of the lower damper cone spring. Others want still more suspension performance.
Just know that I was in no way criticizing your opinion.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

rowdyyates

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 04:45:54 pm
The front forks on my GT650 are a bit soft. So today I put an extra 10mm of oil in each leg and 3 washers in each leg. Washers are 37mm in diameter and 2.5mm thick. Seems much better now with that extra pre load. See how it goes.
1988 RGV 250
2020 RE GT CONT 650

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 11:35:47 pm
Yeah.....the journalists....they ride a bike for an hour and then give you an in-depth review, which is little more than an endorsement / advertisement for the bike...the journalists and manufacturers are in bed together...not in either interest to point out too much negatives...

I trust more, the guys on a forum who really own and ride the bike!

Here's where I'm at now ...mentally at least...I made three short trips today..totaling 60 miles...I hated the bike the whole way....all I could think about was the bouncing...bouncing...bouncing in the curves,,,not safe...bouncing...no fun...just bouncing!!!!!!

So do I unload this bike and loose a quick $2000? Cry once and be done, and over with it...?

Or do I blow $600 on re building the forks...possibly with no improvement...so then blow $1000 on rear shocks...possibly with no relief, then to have to unload the bike and  loose a quick $3800   ???

Listen, I don't want fancy suspension, I don't want to race....I don't even drive fast....I drive like an old man because I am one...I didn't expect anything fancy regarding the suspension from RE.....I did expect at least a "rideable" bike...this bike is not....My cheap ass Yamaha SR4000 rides smooth as silk..this is budget suspension....my Suzuki GS 500 rides smooth as silk....this an "entry level" bike....my old Honda Rebel rode smooth...beginner's bike....my 35 year old Honda scooter is smooth.....a freakin' scooter rides nicer than the RE....!!!!

So if I do the fork cartridges, and YSS or Olins shocks in the rear...what do I expect to happen?  Can I tune out the boing boing boing?  or is the bike going to be stiffer yet? And still bounce?

I have to do something...for now the bike is being pushed to the back of the garage...I hate it!

Cookie

NOT AT ALL !
I am not suggesting that you are wrong. I think you know that I went all the way and spent $600usd to convert the front suspension on my bike to a cartridge system. I was commenting on the nature of moto journalists. Also I'm saying that these front ends can be made much better by means that are fairly simple and not as radical as I chose to to do.

First off would be to change the fork oil. The fork oil in my bike was actually more like motor oil than fork oil or ATF. AND the oil in each fork was different from the other.
- Depending on ones weight and how hard you charge the corners, you can go with different viscosity and/or volume fork fluid.
- Another quick and easy improvement is to replace the fork caps with ones that have preload adjusters. Think of them as variable spacers.
- Next up is different springs and emulators
- Then all the way to the conversion to the cartridge. That is like having upside down forks that are still right side up. And adjustable for compression, rebound and preload.

I know that a lot of people say that this all should be done at the factory. But it is not. It is also not done by Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha and others for their cost sensitive models. With a few exceptions, I have gone through this with a lot of motorcycles. And even the ones that came with high end forks, I still had to refresh the fork oil periodically.

Personally, I'm glad that RE directed the available budget at SS braided brake lines, Bosch electronics, super duty crank bearings, etc.

Some folks will be happy enough just to get rid of that annoying click/clank of the lower damper cone spring. Others want still more suspension performance.
Just know that I was in no way criticizing your opinion.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 11:47:41 pm
Why don't you change the fork oil and see what happens (assuming you haven't already)? It's quick, easy and almost free.  RE are notorious for wrong oil volume and sketchy quality oil. At least it'll give you somewhere to start.

simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 12:30:49 am
Twocoolgliders I think you should put your bike on the market asap. The sooner you sell it the less money you will lose. You obviously don't like it so the sooner it is out of your life the happier you will be.
2019 Interceptor

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 01:04:05 am
Sure...this is one of two possible routes I will take.  If I knew for sure there was a "fix" (to my satisfaction)..I would go that route....but I'm afraid that I am like the Princess and the Pea...no matter how many mattresses they pile up....still feel that pea!

If I had done a long enough test ride...to really feel this bike.....the bouncing would have been a deal breaker....

I'd really like to ride several other examples of this bike...to see if they ride the same...then I would  know that mine has a specific problem....or if they are all like that...then I would know that I am way too picky....

My complaint has been brought up by others too...so it is not completely "me"...yet most have no complaint at all.....makes me wonder?

Cookie

Twocoolgliders I think you should put your bike on the market asap. The sooner you sell it the less money you will lose. You obviously don't like it so the sooner it is out of your life the happier you will be.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 01:11:07 am
Hope you sort it out. I woudn't be surprised if the bouncing problem is not common across the board, in true RE style.  I've only ridden the one 650 Interceptor and it's suspension was fine. BUT,  my mate who owns the bike said that he chose the Interceptor because the 650 CGT he rode was bouncy. They both have the same suspension setup so ought to handle the same,  you'd think. RE build variability strikes again.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 01:34:28 am
I cannot say if this may have any bearing on the matter, but a couple of weeks ago an article titled, "Royal Enfield 650 Twins get rear suspension upgrade free of cost – Report", appeared in the Indian online press. You can read it at: https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.indianautosblog.com/royal-enfield-650-twins-rear-suspension-upgrade-p317278/amp

According to the article, "Gaadiwaadi [an Indian vehicles blog] reports that the 650 Twins owners have received a new rear suspension with built-in rubber buffer. The report adds that only the motorcycles from the first lot did not have the built-in rubber buffer and their owners can have the rear shock absorber changed free of cost from an authorised Royal Enfield outlet. Do note that there has been no announcement from Royal Enfield about any such part replacement exercise."

So, I dunno...Maybe one should reach out to one's dealer and ask your doctor if rubber baby buggy bumpers might be right for you.

How Bilgemaster taking the high road on "bouncy visuals" might appear
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.