Author Topic: new member and new bike  (Read 3807 times)

snailracer

• Scooter
on: September 20, 2019, 02:02:59 am
Hello all, Just purchased a new Himalayan a few days ago. had to take it on the highway the day that I purchased it because I was running late for work. I can say I definitely have to change my riding habits. where I was able to ride in the passing lane with my zg1000 with no issues, now I'm either in the middle lane, or the right lane. the reason for downsizing is because I want to be able to go fishing and camping without having to take the truck.

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 02:18:09 am
Welcome to the family Snail!
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 05:38:26 am
Indeed, welcome to the "Pokey Horde"! That Himi may not be as much in its element in the fast lane as your old Kawasaki cruiser, but I'm sure you'll soon discover it has its own virtues. Aside from little day snorts, I do quite a bit of real touring and some camping with my old '05 Iron Cylinder 500 Bullet "Military", which likes to cruise in the 50s. The trick I use is to fire up that Google Maps Navigation, check its "Avoid Highways" option, and choose the "squiggliest" route option presented that keeps me away from big towns. That's my and the Enfield's "happy place", and I gather could be yours and your Himi's too.

Where are you, and where do you plan to camp and fish?
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

snailracer

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 02:58:36 am
Thanks for the welcome. I live in upstate ny. I plan on taking it a little easy. this is my first dual purpose bike. recently have been watching videos of people camping with their bikes and I also have been watching " itchy boot's" videos on youtube. Don't think I'll ever get the chance to do what she does, but I can do stuff closer to home. the area that I fish has a road that has destroyed blacktop and dirt. so instead of taking my truck, I can take the bike. there's also a large state park nearby that I can either park the bike and backpack in, or ride up to the campsite.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 01:39:09 am
Those Adirondacks are where a Himi can really live. Just google "free camping Adirondacks" for ideas.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

snailracer

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 01:58:06 am
Those Adirondacks are where a Himi can really live. Just google "free camping Adirondacks" for ideas.
Thanks. I'll check it out. how do you know about the adirondacks, are you a ny native?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 03:30:54 am
Back in the mid to late '90s we used to have Amphicar Club gatherings up that way before the big annual shindig shifted to Celina, Ohio. Later we had a couple of family vacations up there on Long Lake at a place called Seaman's Cabins. Great place, but a lot pricier now than it used to be. I adore the Adirondacks though. You're lucky to have it nearby. I'm way down in Virginia in the DC suburbs, but then I've got the Blue Ridge Parkway to scratch that bucolic itch.

snailracer

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 02:17:37 pm
glad you have the option.

Thresher

• Neophyte
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 01:39:50 am
After 7500 miles the bike may not be as suited for interstate as others but when it comes to the twisties in the back roads and the gravel and going where you probably shouldn't be going, the cycle does an incredible job. I live in Mississippi. In another month my head for Minnesota then to Wisconsin and home again. Later this year if all goes well over the virus I'll be moving to Malaysia to be with my daughter and the bike is being crated up and shipped over.  The pleasures of being retired and not in a rush!

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 01:04:45 pm
Welcome aboard. I live in Connecticut and have used my Himalayan to explore lot's of New England and upstate NY. It's a fantastic bike you just have to understand and work within it's limitations. I avoid the highway at all costs. But on anything else it works perfectly well. Being a fairly serious angler myself I've often thought I should mount up a PVC rod holder maybe someday.  ;)