Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 385606 times)

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #1320 on: April 22, 2021, 08:11:49 am
So it shouldn't start without the clutch pulled in ever,  or is it to prevent starting in gear only? That's how it seems to work right now.

I think it should start clutch out in neutral, mine used too when I bought it. Now it requires clutch in, I've not bothered to investigate, I habitually pull it in anyway (habit from GSXR).

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1321 on: April 22, 2021, 08:24:01 am
Hmmm, thanks. Guess I'll leave it be.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1322 on: April 23, 2021, 09:23:40 am
Another one for the brains trust: Since I've had my bike back together, when I start it from cold one of the lifters is very clattery, like it sounds as if it's bled down. Goes away after a few moments, maybe comes and goes a couple of times. Once it's warm its just the usual cacophony. The engine runs fine and it has plenty of oil flow, if the torrent issuing from the lifter cavity is anything to go by. I guess I'm not terribly worried but seeing as it never did this before it's time upside down in the ditch, should I be? I had the side cover off not long before I trowelled it and the plastic pump gear was fine. Ace, BW, Otto?

TIA.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1323 on: April 23, 2021, 12:08:30 pm
Another one for the brains trust: Since I've had my bike back together, when I start it from cold one of the lifters is very clattery, like it sounds as if it's bled down. Goes away after a few moments, maybe comes and goes a couple of times. Once it's warm its just the usual cacophony. The engine runs fine and it has plenty of oil flow, if the torrent issuing from the lifter cavity is anything to go by. I guess I'm not terribly worried but seeing as it never did this before it's time upside down in the ditch, should I be? I had the side cover off not long before I trowelled it and the plastic pump gear was fine. Ace, BW, Otto?

TIA.
You could pull the rocker covers when its good and cold to see which one is bleeding down. At least you'd know which one, in case you need to troubleshoot.

Actually, as long as it pumps up hard when its running, it's okay.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1324 on: April 23, 2021, 01:53:43 pm
Thanks Tom. I thought it'd probably be fine but no harm running it past you guys.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1325 on: April 23, 2021, 03:22:29 pm
Here's a funny thing: I've finished putting the GT back together today and went to start it. Everything lit up but no starter motor. kick started fine. Tried electric start again. Still nothing. For whatever reason, I pulled the clutch lever in. I don't know why, the only bike I've ever owned with the clutch /starter lockout is my DRZ. Anyway it fired right up. Fooled around with the headlights switch and found it'll start with clutch out/headlight off but needs clutch in/headlight on. Dicked around for a bit longer and now it's back to usual, starts any old how, no clutch input required.

I've never bothered looking at the wiring that goes into the clutch switch til now but sure enough, unplug it and the bike won't crank. I guess the switch must have been faulty since new?

You threw it in a ditch, got replacement parts that were less than perfect, left it sitting in the shed, rode other bikes in the meantime - and you're surprised it got pissy?  :)
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1326 on: April 23, 2021, 03:50:28 pm
Quiet,  you. My bike does it's own valve adjustments. And it's own stunts.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

jez

• Scooter
Reply #1327 on: April 25, 2021, 06:25:52 pm
 I changed the oil and rode it. Still getting used to the awesome power and heavy front end after riding mountainbikes all winter.....

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #1328 on: May 07, 2021, 05:17:46 pm
Started it. It's been sitting (ignored) at the back of the garage since October 2019. It sounded lovely, look forward to using it again, will insure, mot & tax it next month.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1329 on: May 07, 2021, 08:10:27 pm
Started it. It's been sitting (ignored) at the back of the garage since October 2019. It sounded lovely, look forward to using it again, will insure, mot & tax it next month.
Nice. I'm looking forward to getting mine out again soon, too.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1330 on: May 09, 2021, 05:46:13 pm
Tried to Source out a rear master cylinder and brake caliper rebuild kit and tried to figure out how to remove the rear brake caliper from the mounting bracket.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #1331 on: June 09, 2021, 05:01:35 pm
Not today, about a week and a half ago. I bought this, it's an AEW. Looking at the diameter of the perforated baffle tube, I reckon that it's going to be loud. If so I'll do something to quieten it down a bit. I made up something to quieten my current silencer.

Well, I finally tried out this "silencer".  Firstly, I really like the look of it, lovely. So then I start the bike, sitting idling nicely whilst I put on my jacket, helmet & gloves, sounds great: a nice deep thump. Ride gently down road (20mph limit) still sounds nice. Reach open road, open throttle a bit, "Jeez, this is a bit fruity". Let it rev a bit, "No, can't have that". Time for some "quietening down" mods.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1332 on: June 09, 2021, 06:43:33 pm
I previously had an AEW silencer on my 535. Sold it for the exact same reason and I bought another silencer with a removable baffle in an easy to find size.

The sound of the stock baffle was horrible so after some tests I found one which gives a very nice sound with a correct level.

The silencer with the stock baffle :

A side view of the silencer. The inox exhaust tube comes from H shop but modified with a curved tube welded at the end.

The baffle provided with the silencer with an horrible whistling sound ! But quiet...
I tried to bend the metal slats... The bike was still whistling... but louder  ::)

The baffle on the right have a percussive metallic sound, not very nice.
The baffle on the left which looks like a catalytic converter element have the perfect sound  :)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 06:49:06 pm by Taurim »

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1333 on: June 09, 2021, 09:45:33 pm
Well, I finally tried out this "silencer".  Firstly, I really like the look of it, lovely. So then I start the bike, sitting idling nicely whilst I put on my jacket, helmet & gloves, sounds great: a nice deep thump. Ride gently down road (20mph limit) still sounds nice. Reach open road, open throttle a bit, "Jeez, this is a bit fruity". Let it rev a bit, "No, can't have that". Time for some "quietening down" mods.

Can you make a crumb cup (the thing that catches scraps in the sink) fit in there? They can work pretty well sometimes.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #1334 on: June 10, 2021, 07:01:05 pm
Can you make a crumb cup (the thing that catches scraps in the sink) fit in there? They can work pretty well sometimes.

That actually might be worth a go. I think it would be quite easy to fit and if it's not effective then I think I'll try Taurim's "catalytic converter" style baffle, there are tons of them on ebay but it would take more messing about with to fit.

Thanks guys.