Author Topic: Battery Issues!  (Read 8532 times)

1stINTinWa

• Scooter
on: March 29, 2020, 08:07:12 am
Hello everyone I waited four years for this bike...been great so far installed LED headlight and Red Rooster Exhaust...DNA filter on it's way! I pre-ordered and received the very first Interceptor in Washington State USA May 15th 2019. Gas cap gasket split and was replaced by the dealer...But a constant issue is the stock battery not starting the bike.  Does anyone know of a battery I can get state side that will work?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:10:53 am by 1stINTinWa »

Roshiba777

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 08:59:51 am
Earlier batteries have problem with battery discharge so company has changed the batteries in new bikes from Exide to Amaron
Royal Enfield CI 500 (2000)
Royal Enfield STD UCE 500 (2010)
Royal Enfield Classic 500 (2011)
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 (2011)
Yamaha RD350 (1988)
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 (2019)

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 11:57:03 am

My 2020 has Exide...

Cookie

Earlier batteries have problem with battery discharge so company has changed the batteries in new bikes from Exide to Amaron

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 02:20:29 pm
ytx14-bs

Used by many power sports vehicles, not just RE.

I think this is the spec for the battery...many available locally or on the net.....many price ranges...quality range too.

Always check dimensions, and which side the pos. and neg. are on to fit properly.

I would suggest installing a pigtail to the battery to connect a  Battery tender Jr and keep on sustain charge when not riding for more than a couple days.

I think there is always a slight drain on the battery due to the ECU "keep alive"

Cookie

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 02:33:24 pm
 I buy Yuasa batteries online. I like to replace mine every 3 years. A lot of places I ride you are on your own if you have issues.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 03:30:51 pm
Yuasa.....Supposedly a good brand name.....But nobody seems to make their own stuff anymore these days....so Brand doesn't seem to matter much.

I buy Motobatt......they are Yellow....yellow means they're better, right?

With Motobatt, you don't have to worry about  plus or minus position....they have multiple terminals.

Cookie

I buy Yuasa batteries online. I like to replace mine every 3 years. A lot of places I ride you are on your own if you have issues.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 03:33:40 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS_Yuasa

Who makes what?  Who owns what?

Impossible to tell anymore

Cookie

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 06:28:44 pm
I agree it's difficult and I like to avoid made in China If I can/if one knows. This Yuasa shows it's country of manufacture. Not a guarantee by any means but I hope the US makes some attempt at consistency with quality control. I don't know how to post larger attachments but if you click on attachment  you can read. cheers.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:31:46 pm by ceekay »
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 06:56:48 pm
"Deka"   Common brand seen im motorcycles.... parent company, East Penn Manufacturing, is another made in USA brand.....they also make many other brands.

Johnson controls..(now under a new name) makes USA made batteries for cars too......

Walmart, NAPA, Advance Auto, Interstate....etc...typically use these manufacturers..

Who know what spec. each brand is built to however?

Cookie

I agree it's difficult and I like to avoid made in China If I can/if one knows. This Yuasa shows it's country of manufacture. Not a guarantee by any means but I hope the US makes some attempt at consistency with quality control. I don't know how to post larger attachments but if you click on attachment  you can read. cheers.

jhark37

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 07:03:12 pm

I would suggest installing a pigtail to the battery to connect a  Battery tender Jr and keep on sustain charge when not riding for more than a couple days.

Cookie
[/quote]

You are apparently unaware there is a factory installed SAE pigtail on our bikes.  Zip tied to left passenger footpeg bracket.  Discovered quite by accident.  Use it recently to power my electric vest, which hopefully I can dispense with soon.

John

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 07:10:08 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS_Yuasa
Who makes what?  Who owns what?
Impossible to tell anymore
Cookie

Cookie makes a important point. What one needs to look at (even within the same brand) is the amp hours and cold crank spec. The outer cases are all the same and as mentioned above make sure the terminals and size are appropriate.

Having said that, A lot of people I know buy their motorcycle batteries in the lawn tractor section. Yup. They are the same as any other that has the same spec. The main difference is the price. The lawn mower crowd just will not pay the prices that we proud and nervous bikers will pay.

I am NOT saying what anyone should do. I am wiling to say that what kills lead/acid batteries is age and vibration.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 08:46:04 pm
Vibration!!!!

On my Yamaha Cafe racer....it has a tiny little battery since the bike is kick start, no need for cranking amps...just some power to run the fuel pump and the ECU.

Originally the battery was under the front of the seat....I put the Powercommander V there so I got a battery re-locater kit which puts the battery essentially over the rear fender (if it had a rear fender) under the "bump" in the cafe seat.

Being a single cylinder bike = vibration.   Vibrations concentrated at rear of frame under seat!

Went through three batteries in 9 months!  (before I figured out it was the vibration).  Also went through about 4 tail light bulbs (until I put in a LED bulb)...and also cracked the license plate in a couple places, and also the license plate bracket cracked off!

I ended up getting a 7AH "computer back-up battery"......for $13....(stock battery is 2.3 AH...Yuasa costs about $80)

Made a mount for it, where the tool kit used to be....more in the center of the frame......no problems for the last 2 years...

Cookie

I am wiling to say that what kills lead/acid batteries is age and vibration.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 12:46:51 am
My research turned up this as the best battery to be had.
https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-4333389740-YTX14H-BS-YUASA-BATTERY/dp/B002OQCF2E/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=CjwKCAiAuqHwBRAQEiwAD-zr3c5oF9pXnmaG_RvGu0r-I9fBsa_HnFz30xRwYvI901ut3y2M4DfTQBoCleoQAvD_BwE&hvadid=243375438167&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1016202&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1578915177007369965&hvtargid=aud-837757535200%3Akwd-314180696041&hydadcr=6588_9585037&keywords=ytx14h-bs+yuasa&qid=1577688934&sr=8-5
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 02:08:42 am

My 2020 has Exide...

Cookie

Weird thing for me about Exide batteries is that the online reviews of them just aren't all that glowing. In fact many are downright scathing. But I must have an over-achieving "outlier" serving now as one of the two cabin batteries in my Macgregor 26X sailboat, a sort of wacky power-sailer hybrid, basically a little cabin cruiser sailboat with a whomping big (for a sailboat) 50 hp Honda outboard on the transom. The battery's one of Exide's Nautilus deep cycle line that I got well over 5 years ago when it was already over 10 years old. My buddy found it in the nice little brick shed of a place he'd just bought along with one of those little electric outboard motors, with which it was presumably intended to be used. He had no interest whatsoever in them or in the horde of hand and power tools also there and in a basement workshop, so was happy to have me haul away whatever I liked. I didn't have much faith in the Exide, but figured what the hell--that it might at least serve as a core return instead of a more "marginal" battery I might still use for something else. Turns out though it took a fine charge. I even checked it with a hydrometer, and it seemed tip-top, so into the sailboat it went, being a deep cycle and all. That was years and years ago. From time to time I check it out, add a few drops of distilled water as needed, and the damned thing just won't die. Its neighboring battery has been replaced twice, but that Exide just keeps chugging along. Granted, it's kept under fairly optimal conditions, hooked up to a 50 Watt solar panel array with a nice enough little Harbor Freight voltage controller, but still... Not bad for something I pulled off a dirt floor. Accordingly, I might not be too loathe to give another Exide a chance in my old "Iron Belly" Bullet when the time comes. Hell, with that wonky electric start now mercifully gone, I could probably get the thing started by rubbing a balloon in my hair, or what's left of it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:00:32 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 02:13:48 pm
I had two Exide AGM batteries die on me.  Both batteries were BMW branded, made in Germany and came stock on both my 2009 BMW F650GS and my 2007 R1200R.  They both suffered a sudden-death and expired without warning while I was riding, stopping the bikes dead and requiring a tow to the dealer for replacement of the battery. The F650's battery only lasted 6 months, while the R1200's battery lasted not quite 24 months before leaving me stranded. Fortunately, BMW in those days had a 24-month warranty on their batteries and both were replaced without cost once they were inspected by the dealer and found to be defective.  Also fortunately, BMW's motorcycle warranty is for 36 months, so both the battery and tow to the dealership were free.  I might add that I checked the Exide website and their batteries had a 6-month warranty, so BMW was generous providing an additional 18 month warranty on those batteries.  I wonder why they were so kind?
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 04:42:31 pm
...Macgregor 26X sailboat, a sort of wacky power-sailer hybrid, basically a little cabin cruiser sailboat...
Those are GREAT sailboats. I'm envious. They also make an okay travel trailer. ;)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 06:36:35 pm
Those are GREAT sailboats. I'm envious. They also make an okay travel trailer. ;)

Yeah, they sure do work as a travel trailer. Nowadays mine only ever gets towed down the hill from the state park boat lot where I keep it to the launch ramps and then back, but one stalwart fellow somewhere up in the Dakotas hauls his all the way on down to Florida every year, overnighting inside along the way. Once down in Florida he then sets off for the Bahamas until the coming hurricane season chases him back to the mainland.

Thing is, Salty Bob type "real sailors", manly men with bowline knots in their pubes who dress up like the Gorton's fisherman (though strangely enough seldom ever seem to leave the marina), often make fun of those 26X or later 26M Macgregor hybrid "power-sailers", calling 'em "Clorox bottles". I adore mine though, as do most owners. For me it's just the ticket for the shoally and shallow Potomac and Chesapeake Bay, seeing as how it draws like only 7 inches of water with its swing keel up. Also, with that 50 hp Honda outboard and an up-on-plane speed of about 20 knots, I can scoot on down to the actual Chesapeake, about 80 miles, in about four hours or so, however the winds may blow. In my equally awesome, adorable and unimpeachably "salty and traditional" little Com-Pac 16 (shown here with its big sister Mac in background), the same trip at maybe 4 to 7 knots with fair winds  would be a multi-night undertaking, even if I relied on its nifty little Mercury 2.5 horsepower 2-stroker kicker motor.

Funnily enough, the Macgregor Sailors Forum is rather similar in its  generally helpful, supportive and non-persnickety tone to this one. I suppose this may stem from the fact that both vehicles, Macs and certainly Bullets, are "compromises" of a sort. All aboard are well aware of that and just trying to make the best of it. A Mac hybrid isn't the greatest sailboat, nor is it the finest and fastest motorboat, but the fact that it does both even tolerably well is good enough, and much can be done to its basically blank canvas to  improve the breed. By the same token, the Bullet may not be the fastest off the mark or even the finest built motorcycle on the planet, but it does offer some certain special visceral "something" other bikes utterly lack. So that's good enough. I've found that some vehicle forums, focusing as they may on perhaps more fully-formed or (allegedly) reliable vehicles can be awfully snooty or even insulting. That recent post here about one of us being dressed down on some BMW forum or other for going out on a little solo jaunt in the midst of our current Wuhan Flu woes, even though it's perfectly legal where he lives, is a case in point. Can you imagine that occurring here?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:10:53 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 12:40:57 am
Thanks for that story! For the few years I owned a boat I looked at and seriously considered a Mac. It's not the best at what it does, it's the only one. Much like a Royal Enfield. :D

1stINTinWa

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 07:13:07 pm

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 08:15:02 am
Just checked my Interceptor battery, bike has been sitting for 2 weeks in the shed. Voltage is 13.2v, surprised it is that high. Had a quick check of my Suzuki bandit battery which is a lithium and it was
13.4v, the bandit has not been started for about 2 months.
2019 Interceptor

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 08:24:07 am
Just checked my Interceptor battery, bike has been sitting for 2 weeks in the shed. Voltage is 13.2v, surprised it is that high. Had a quick check of my Suzuki bandit battery which is a lithium and it was
13.4v, the bandit has not been started for about 2 months.

Are they on tenders? 'Cause those voltages seem pretty high for resting batteries. My lead acid one is typically between 12.6 or 12.7 volts after a longish sit, depending on ambient temperature.

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 01:32:51 pm
Not on tenders, maybe my digital voltmeter is faulty,  I have another meter will compare tomorrow.
2019 Interceptor

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 02:03:08 pm
I have three cheap digital voltmeters and they all tend to read different voltages when testing the same battery.  They can vary as much as 0.2 volt. In my experience, a fully charged AGM battery will show 13.2 volts right after a ride, but will drop to around 12.8 volts after sitting around for a few days.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 02:22:21 pm
The "standing" voltage of a lead acid battery is pretty much meaningless.

The only way to determine battery condition is with an actual load testing machine.

A battery which reads low on standing voltage, may simply need a charge and be in 100% perfect condition

A battery that reads high on standing voltage, may have only a "surface charge" and go dead really fast under load.

A battery just off of charge will read fairly high on standing voltage, and drop off somewhat after sitting...

Anybody with doubts, can go to Advance Auto or similar and get a free battery diagnosis on their expensive fancy test machine.

Just sayin'

Cookie

I have three cheap digital voltmeters and they all tend to read different voltages when testing the same battery.  They can vary as much as 0.2 volt. In my experience, a fully charged AGM battery will show 13.2 volts right after a ride, but will drop to around 12.8 volts after sitting around for a few days.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 12:20:10 am
Not all battery types will have the same float voltage.  A lead acid OC test will give about 12.6v when charged as does phosphate based lithium-ion,  a simple three cell standard lithium is nominally more like 11v whereas a 4 cell lithium may be more like 14v OC. lithium titanate is different again.

This is worth a read:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/confusion_with_voltages
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:29:55 am by GlennF »

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 12:40:33 am
https://www.power-sonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Technical-Manual.pdf

If anyone interested in educating themselves.....good manual....

Cookie

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 12:36:59 pm
Temporarily connected a load to interceptor battery, now shows 12.65 volts, bandit now 12.72 volts. I will keep an eye on both and boost charge both as required till I can start riding again.
2019 Interceptor

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 12:49:21 pm
how much "load'?

Cookie

Temporarily connected a load to interceptor battery, now shows 12.65 volts, bandit now 12.72 volts. I will keep an eye on both and boost charge both as required till I can start riding again.

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 11:00:13 pm
Just 2 headlight bulbs in parallel for about 5 seconds, a bit under 10 amps current draw. Measured voltage a minute after disconnecting load and watched it for 15 seconds, it was stable. I built my own load tester 10 years ago while I was still working, left it at my workplace for the guys there to use.
2019 Interceptor

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 11:11:03 pm
you gotta measure the voltage DURING the load, n'est-ce pas?

Cookie

Just 2 headlight bulbs in parallel for about 5 seconds, a bit under 10 amps current draw. Measured voltage a minute after disconnecting load and watched it for 15 seconds, it was stable. I built my own load tester 10 years ago while I was still working, left it at my workplace for the guys there to use.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 11:21:56 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqw1CF1nOt8

good video showing various ways to test a battery.....

or go to Advance auto and get free test!

Cookie

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #31 on: April 10, 2020, 12:19:41 am
I can only tell on lead acid batteries as i was a battery mechanic in the old days when they were hard rubber with pitch tops.  If one came in as faulty we would pull the cell and inspect it for the cause of failure. The established manufacturers used a lot of antimony in the grid forming paste to give it some rigidity to the frame, that the positive and negative paste was rolled onto. This is what caused a battery to self discharge in a month. Newer grid forming dies allowed the reduction of antimony in the mix, giving longer shelf  discharge times . As years progressed the technology improved with paste mixes that almost eliminated self discharge.  Most issues for fault were 1,,, an open circuit where a grid connector snapped at the wall between the cells and gave you that "absolutely nothing" all at once. 2... with vibration or driving over rough roads continuously, the paste dropped off the grid and settles on the bottom of the battery box shorting the positive and negative plates out via a slow discharge. 3... when a lead acid battery works it absorbs the acid content into the plate to form a charge. The generator/alternator recharge then pushed the acid content back out of the plates into the electrolyte. This is why you measure the density of the fluid and only ever top up with water. If the battery was left unattended for a longer time the paste hardened on the grid stopping the flow of acid to and from, known as sulphation.  I wont bore you with the chemical formulas but one plate gives off hydrogen ( H )the other oxygen (O), leaving as H2O which is water.  This why a trickel charger is used to stop the plates hardening in the off season. A newer typical bike battery should last around 3 to 4 years if looked after. Some go six others two.  Hope that answres a few questions.
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #32 on: April 10, 2020, 05:27:02 am
I actually hate batteries, I worked in telephone exchanges and microwave radio repeater sites for 15 years, all had large banks of lead acid batteries.  The batteries at these locations had monthly maintenance routines that had to be performed, specific gravity checks and cell voltage readings were all recorded. These days most batteries don't seem to last very long,  if any of my vehicle batteries ever play up they get 1 chance at redemption. If they play up again they get replaced, especially if they are more than 2 years old. You can't push start a fuel injected motorbike or car!
2019 Interceptor

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 10, 2020, 01:51:44 pm
Actually my "kick start only" Yamaha, will start with a bad battery....but the computer seems to get confused and it will not run correctly!

Earlier versions of the model of bike, had a carburetor (no computer) .....some guys just took out the battery all together and installed a big-ass capacitor...they started and run just fine.

Really, once a bike is started, a battery acts just like a capacitor!

Guys with early Honda Super Cubs often run without battery, or capacitor...the bike will run....but the light bulbs all blow up!

My antique airplanes did not have batteries...just dual magneto ignition...flip the prop and go!  Never had trouble starting in 35 years!   Fun, at the gas pumps when a big shot in a fancy new airplane fuels up, and the hot engine will not start, and he drains the battery trying....gets towed to the maintenance hangar...then me in my antique old plane...one flip and outta there!

In some respects, the "old ways" were better!

Cookie

You can't push start a fuel injected motorbike or car!

fghog

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: April 10, 2020, 04:37:13 pm
I replaced my battery at 3700 km.  On starting the bike, the instruments and lights would power on but the battery didn't have enough cranking power to turn over the engine. I replaced the battery with one from Total Battery which is a Canadian dealer. Note that I use a Battery Tender which didn't help in this case.

Really like the motorcycle!!!

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #35 on: April 11, 2020, 07:20:35 pm
I replaced my battery at 3700 km.  On starting the bike, the instruments and lights would power on but the battery didn't have enough cranking power to turn over the engine. I replaced the battery with one from Total Battery which is a Canadian dealer. Note that I use a Battery Tender which didn't help in this case.

Really like the motorcycle!!!

Exactly the way mine was. So far the new battery has cured those woes.