Author Topic: Opinion: the Interceptor looks a lot like a Norton Commando...  (Read 5369 times)

diogo_sergio

• Bulleteer
This is just a little side note to the usual topics. I don't know if anyone has already made this reguard, but the more i look at it, the more i think the Interceptor 650 was modeled after the old norton commando. The frame, the fuel tank, the seat, the fenders, the exhaust, even the engine castings and the angle of the cylinders look like they took a lot of inspiration from it! If i didn't know better and someone me the Interceptor was the new Norton Commando i would belive it...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:54:14 am by diogo_sergio »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
True, the forward slant of the cylinder and head, the timing case shape and even the upswept reverse cone silencers are all very "early 70s Commando-ish", but I find that corpulent egg-shaped case on the right-hand side very BSA-like. It's all good though. I'd love to have one some day. For now though, I'm pretty content with my old Bullet. Today was just glorious: a 3 hour sunny ride toodlng along greening Virginia back roads with temps in the 70s. Marvelous!

It surely can't be long now before you guys further up north can stop cleaning the spark plugs on your snow blowers and commence blurting past those daffodils.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 03:50:17 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
The forward slant is a bit Norton. 2 of my RE's attached. Which one looks better?
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
2 single piccies
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
That's a hard choice, but for raw curb appeal I just gotta go with the Bullet. It really just needs a natty little chrome headlight cap to be perfect.

What's that muffler? I kinda like that. Also, is that downpipe the original with a capped PAV inlet? My '05 "Military's" exhaust is all still bone stock, far as I know.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:11:06 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

George 350

• Lifetime with bikes
  • Scooter
When the current Norton went bust and people in the NOC were wondering what to ride instead, I posted this image as a suggestion .

I compared it to this.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 07:19:49 am by George 350 »
2019 RE Continental GT 650
1978 Morini 350 Sport
1967 Norton 650

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
I had my interceptor parked next to a 1969 interceptor a few weeks ago and the styling was very similar, in particular, the engine covers. Overall I think its more Interceptor than Norton (other than the sloped motor).  They are both great looking bikes so that's a good thing
My bullet is stock 2007 but with a short muffler, and different seats. I did also take the pollution gear off when purchased hence the cap in the exhaust header.
cheers and beers
Warwick

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Dunno man. Apart from the forward tilt to the cylinders, it looks lot like a 700 interceptor from back in the day. Maybe a bit of convergent evolution going on?
When I see one on the street I keep thinking that it looks more like a triumph than triumphs do.
If they have taken inspiration from the commando, they did a good job and aren't the first Asian brand to crib someone else's work. Fine looking motorbike though, right?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Well....you did use the work "opinion"...so this makes the discussion wide open.

Norton Commando?  Sure...to me the up-swept pipes and slanted engine...big resemblance.

But to me....most, if not all British bikes from the "period" had a certain similarity in looks.  And there were a lot of brands from Britain back then!

I'm sure a kid living in that era could tell one from another from a mile away....To to me. living some 50 , 60, 70 years later...they all look  about the same, until you get up close.

Sort of like American cars from the late 50's. As a kid, I could tell a Ford, from a Chevy, from a Chrysler, from a distance...yet all the late 50's cars had a certain look to them....today Anybody can tell it's a 50's car...but not many can tell you the make and model anymore.

My INT650 with a chrome tank, is often confused with the BSA.

As some say, the INT has out Triumphed the Triumph.

Triumph has been copying itself for years now...

IMHO, the INT styling cues are blunt, obvious(to themselves) straightforward, and amazingly clean...and uncluttered...especially considering how "cluttered" the bike actually is , with Fuel injection, fuel pump, charcoal canister, etc, etc,

Interesting topic!

Cookie

This is just a little side note to the usual topics. I don't know if anyone has already made this reguard, but the more i look at it, the more i think the Interceptor 650 was modeled after the old norton commando. The frame, the fuel tank, the seat, the fenders, the exhaust, even the engine castings and the angle of the cylinders look like they took a lot of inspiration from it! If i didn't know better and someone me the Interceptor was the new Norton Commando i would belive it...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
The forward slant is a bit Norton. 2 of my RE's attached. Which one looks better?
Bullet.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 12:41:05 pm
Well....you did use the work "opinion"...

Sort of like American cars from the late 50's. As a kid, I could tell a Ford, from a Chevy, from a Chrysler, from a distance...yet all the late 50's cars had a certain look to them....today Anybody can tell it's a 50's car...but not many can tell you the make and model anymore.

Cookie

All modern cars look the same to me, ugly and plastic. Many modern bikes look the same to me, there's the transformers group, there's the Ewan Macgregor group and the Valentino Rossi group. But there are still some interesting bikes, that look like motorbikes. Possibly because they look like Nortons and other 50s bikes. Must be getting old...

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 12:53:26 pm
Cars have lost their identity about 20 or more years ago...they all look the same...
One SUV looks like another...maybe grille different or taillight shape..but all the same...Sedans all now have what I call the "lozenge shape"...which is really no shape

Maybe Mustang is still unique?...but Camaro looks same too.

Yes, many bikes look the same now, within certain categories.  I think I am attracted to "retro" bikes, because to me the styling was more honest, and form following function...

Indian Larry once talked about how he hated bike with big fairings...he said  they looked like boats....He said he likes the see all the parts of the bikes out in the open...the "gizmo-ness" of the bike.

Cookie

All modern cars look the same to me, ugly and plastic. Many modern bikes look the same to me, there's the transformers group, there's the Ewan Macgregor group and the Valentino Rossi group. But there are still some interesting bikes, that look like motorbikes. Must be getting old...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:55:31 pm by twocoolgliders »

George 350

• Lifetime with bikes
  • Scooter
Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 01:10:13 pm
As a Spanish gentleman of a certain age said to me 4 years ago when I was in Spain on my Morini - "Its beautiful! Its a proper motorbike - look, there is no plastic on it!"
I think that it was that comment that influenced me most when I went shopping for a newer bike.
The Enfield 650's disguise what bits are plastic really well, and its proportions are 'right'.

2019 RE Continental GT 650
1978 Morini 350 Sport
1967 Norton 650

BRG-BIRD

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 01:50:45 pm

A tough choice because both look great IMO. In all actuality the bullet gets a slight nod, really has a nice vintage look. :)

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 02:15:29 pm
My Interceptor doesn't "look like" an old 70's Snortin' Norton (which was THE bike to have back in the day), but the cylinder slant is reminiscent of one.  I always thought the old Nortons were the coolest bikes ever made.

Back in the late 60's I had hair I could tuck in my belt.  A friend had a Norton 750 and let me have it for a day.  My girl friend was stacked like a brick sh*T house and was a hippie chick through and through.  And I mean STACKED.  All she had on was a rabbit fur liner from a vest held together in the front by a funky little clasp thingy.  She got on the back with her arms behind her hanging on to the grab bar and off we went.  Incident of the day was revving the thing up and launching from a red light beside an older dude in a hot Chevy.  He dumped his clutch, crossed the intersection, drove over the sidewalk and plowed his front end into somebody's porch.  That funky little clasp had come undone and Laura's massive boobs were on full display.  Dude totally lost it.  :P :P :P :P

I agree ... the new Interceptor looks like an old Norton Commando and an old BSA Gold Star got together and had a baby.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:42:54 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8