Author Topic: High-beam is useless (almost)  (Read 2703 times)

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
  • I like to move it move it.
on: April 15, 2021, 06:58:24 pm
Went for my first night ride the other night, flipped to high beam and quickly flipped back to low beam.  It's almost like a fog light, disperses to the sides, but high in front with very little distance penetration into the darkness.  Would NOT recommend using it if traveling more than 20 mph.

I say "almost" because i do like having the little modulate button for giving traffic the heads up that i exist at intersections.

May have to remedy the high beam bulb at some point....
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 07:01:11 pm
I don't ride at night.  Too many critters.  They scare me.

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 07:02:02 pm
That is the exact same reason I just decided to switch the entire headlight over to LED. I tried the LED bulb option and I got condensation, so I purchased the unit as a whole and works a million times better. If you want to "Retro" look, then just stick with a LED.
2019 RE Continental GT 650 - Ice Queen

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
  • I like to move it move it.
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 08:02:33 pm
Yeah i don't either; but the wife wanted to go for a quick jaunt along the lake since we had a rare evening without the kiddos.  I took it really slow and did see a racoon by the side of the road.  I used to ride at night all the time.  Actually the times that worry me most these days are dawn and dusk; really though i keep an eye out for deer at all times.

Can you post a link to the unit you purchased BlackIce619?  Headlight is an important safety feature as far as i'm concerned.
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 08:09:05 pm
Can you post a link to the unit you purchased BlackIce619?  Headlight is an important safety feature as far as i'm concerned.

Here is what I ordered and also a video to help you install if needed. My recommendation is to use the clips on the higher portion of the LED to make sure it holds better. If you use it on the lower portion it will fit a bit loose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T28C69B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Instructions on Installation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHIruutrBRo

See attached image of clip placement. It provides a more snug fit. I was able to place all but one. Either way it holds well.

Please note: Bugs intentionally left on original headlight to show Jack we have bugs in San Diego back roads as well. HAHAHA (sorry, image keeps making me laugh)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 09:01:40 pm
Went for my first night ride the other night, flipped to high beam and quickly flipped back to low beam.  It's almost like a fog light, disperses to the sides, but high in front with very little distance penetration into the darkness.  Would NOT recommend using it if traveling more than 20 mph.

I say "almost" because i do like having the little modulate button for giving traffic the heads up that i exist at intersections.

May have to remedy the high beam bulb at some point....
Chances are you need to tip the headlight shell down a tic. Go out after dark. Just loosen it enough that a thump of your hand and find a straight flat section of road(preferably without street lights). There is only one bulb in there (plus that little parking light).  While there are super-duper bulbs available, the stock bulbs are pretty good.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 09:05:39 pm
Attached is my modification of the LED using the stock connector. Here is an image of the LED with DRL connected. The first picture did not have DRL connected.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 09:22:19 pm
You can buy a 40 per cent brighter build made by Philips about £40.

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 03:14:24 pm
Chances are you need to tip the headlight shell down a tic. Go out after dark. Just loosen it enough that a thump of your hand and find a straight flat section of road(preferably without street lights). There is only one bulb in there (plus that little parking light).  While there are super-duper bulbs available, the stock bulbs are pretty good.

THIS.

I ride at night, and find the high beam perfectly acceptable.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 05:02:41 pm
I did not wanted to spend much... went with a recommended LED bulb replacement and it has been working great. 

DZG H4 Motorcycle LED Headlight Bulb

Night and day difference from stock... while still keeping the stock headlight look... Plug and play... just like replacing the bulb for another one... no additional modifications needed.

Before:

After:

I believe there was one forum member that this LED bulb replacement stopped working on low beam setting... have not seen any other negative post about it...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:04:42 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 05:34:57 pm
I did not wanted to spend much... went with a recommended LED bulb replacement and it has been working great. 

Night and day difference from stock... while still keeping the stock headlight look... Plug and play... just like replacing the bulb for another one... no additional modifications needed.
I believe there was one forum member that this LED bulb replacement stopped working on low beam setting... have not seen any other negative post about it...

I had that exact same bulb and for some reason, it created condensation in the housing, so I just decided to go the complete LED unit route. The price difference was minimal so I just went for it. Either options is great and will last a good while.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 05:58:11 pm
I had that exact same bulb and for some reason, it created condensation in the housing, so I just decided to go the complete LED unit route. The price difference was minimal so I just went for it. Either options is great and will last a good while.

Sorry, I had not clicked on the links... Yes, that LED unit is fairly inexpensive.  I had a similar one in my HD, but at the time, those were a couple hundred dollars (years, years ago...)... reason for my initial comment.

I have been lucky that I have not had any condensation from my current setup.

So the OP has several options that he can try...
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 07:23:54 pm
Yes, my experience is the same. Got idea from HD. Prices were crazy back then and now it's super inexpensive.

I prefer RE over HD any day!!! LEDs make everything better.

Semanticks

• Grease Monkey
  • 2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 09:59:02 pm

This bulb lasted one ride for me. Not sure what happened, but the bulb itself failed on low beam. Too bad.... It was really great while it lasted. I returned to stock bulb. It's more retro and I never really rude at night. YMMV.
South Okanagan BC

2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 11:16:23 pm

Before:

After:

I've used this same one for a couple thousand miles now and love it.
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington