Author Topic: The '08 AVL Needs A Different Look  (Read 38567 times)

chuntera

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: September 27, 2019, 12:42:58 am
I sanded the pipe on my '08 classic with 400 grit then gave a it coat of rattle can VHT clear. I mostly wanted to keep the exhaust from discoloring. Looked great for a couple weeks until it picked up a couple gobs of road tar.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #31 on: September 27, 2019, 02:43:49 am
I know where you guys are coming from but for me, I like the blues and purples on my chrome exhaust pipe.

It shows that this is not some babied, lived in a closet, motorcycle.  It is a a real motorcycle that has been out there and lived it and done it and is damn proud of it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #32 on: September 27, 2019, 12:11:25 pm
I sanded the pipe on my '08 classic with 400 grit then gave a it coat of rattle can VHT clear. I mostly wanted to keep the exhaust from discoloring. Looked great for a couple weeks until it picked up a couple gobs of road tar.

How would a clearcoat keep an exhaust header pipe from discoloring?  ???
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:14:30 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Dodd

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: September 27, 2019, 03:15:01 pm
Guilty as charged, tooseevee!  ;) The plain black pipe on yours looks meaner, result.

What I'd like to find in the UK is someone doing the chrome effect ceramic coating, not sure we have anyone here doing that yet. Ordinary powder coating yes, but not the high-temp stuff, at least not chrome.

A.

There's a fella up my end of the woods that does it, so I'm told.
That PChrome spraying sounds good.

S.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 03:43:21 pm by Dodd »

chuntera

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: September 29, 2019, 04:35:22 pm
      How would a clearcoat keep an exhaust header pipe from discoloring?  ???

Clear coat supposed to provide oxygen & moisture barrier to prevent oxidation. In practice the clear coat became a bit cloudy near the header.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #35 on: September 30, 2019, 01:40:03 am
The way I figure it, my nicely colored exhaust with its purples and blues reached almost 900 degrees F to get those colors.

I don't know of any clear coat paint that can take those kind of temperatures without being destroyed.

(As I've said before, my Royal Enfield is proud of its multicolored exhaust header. )
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: September 30, 2019, 12:22:19 pm
Clear coat supposed to provide oxygen & moisture barrier to prevent oxidation. In practice the clear coat became a bit cloudy near the header.

"provide oxygen"?

The pretty colors are not from oxidation. They are from heat. Clearcoat will not keep your header pipe from getting hot or keep it from coloring at certain temperatures. It's just physics.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #37 on: October 06, 2019, 04:30:35 pm
Head's finished, along with the tappet cover. Exhaust Port cleaned up and polished some and Valves lapped.

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #38 on: October 06, 2019, 07:20:54 pm
I like my alloy head and all, but damn if that ain't some pretty work there, Heloego. Very tidy. Very tidy indeed.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: October 07, 2019, 01:06:19 am
Head's finished, along with the tappet cover. Exhaust Port cleaned up and polished some and Valves lapped.

Wow! Respects from MY dirty ol' garage I can tell you that! I can see, smell, hear, taste and feeeeel the work that shows there.

Well done!

Now what excuse can I come up with that my head needs to come off for ??? ??? ??? Hhhmmmmm
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 01:08:34 am by tooseevee »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #40 on: October 07, 2019, 04:45:43 am
Polished fin edges on alloy always look good, whether it's with a black coating, or better still (IMHO) with the castings stripped/blasted back to bare metal.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: October 07, 2019, 11:54:49 am
Thanks.
It's what the guy wanted and he's a happy (at the moment) customer. In his words, "I want it to look like an iron bridge across the River Liffey with 200 years of gloss black paint slapped on it."
OK.

It's only two coats each of high temp primer and paint, as I felt any more would seriously reduce the heat transfer from the fins. I'd have preferred to etch and have it black anodized, but his budget won't allow for it. As it is, My concern is how much hotter than normal the AVL is gonna run.
'12 C5 Classic

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #42 on: October 07, 2019, 02:31:36 pm
Kal-Gard Gun Kote?

http://www.kal-gard.co.za/coatings/gun-kote.html

Scroll down here to see it used on motorcycle engines.

http://tedsshed.co.uk/paintwork-3/engine-coatings/

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: October 09, 2019, 11:50:36 pm
Kal-Gard not available here, but I've contacted a local outfit that can do hard anodizing in any color I want. They'll do the media blasting, too. Currently waiting for them to get back to me.
'12 C5 Classic

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: October 25, 2019, 02:00:56 am
Installed the Hitchcocks push-rod boots. Nice! These won't be jumping the tappets anytime soon!  ;D

'12 C5 Classic