Author Topic: Surging, dying motor after 4K revs :(  (Read 1140 times)

Birdy78

• Neophyte
on: July 20, 2020, 09:41:59 pm
Hi everyone, I’m new here to the board, but have been reading the forum for months. I have just joined the ranks of Enfield owners, bought a lovely CGT back in may after selling my Yamaha SR500 café racers - I figured I could do with a challenge ;) So far I haven’t been disappointed, there are more bugs with this bike than on my helmet!

I wanted to write a post to see if anyone has some wisdom with the only problem I haven’t been able to fix yet :( I’m riding a CGT 2015 EFI with a stock engine and exhaust, most of the changes on the book so far have been cosmetic. It rides beautifully around the twistys, and the engine loves being between 2K - 4K, but as soon as I take it sustained over 4K, then the engine surges like someone is pinching the fuel line. One time this happened was on a quick trip on a highway (15km), and the engine then died after I had slowed down when I had reached the town where I was heading. After letting it stand idle for half a day, the motor then started up fine again. It seems to be a problem that develops the longer and more intense the trip is. If I take it up to 4K and then fully open (Blip) the throttle, then I can hit the rev limiter at 6K while accelerating, but as soon as I try to keep it at a sustained 45K then it surges and splutters again.

So far, I have:
- Checked all wiring (seems ok)
- Checked the battery and connections (fine)
- Checked the ignition wiring (ok)
- Checked the fuel line (not kinked)
- Looked in the tank (dirty but not rusty, I think)
- Have removed the side stand switch
- Mechanic thought it was the rev limiter

I will get the tank off soon and have a closer look at the pump, and will probably get a new exhaust, filter and power commander at the end of summer, but apart from that I’m stumped...

Any ideas?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 11:04:40 pm
I probably sound like a broken record by now but I'd be changing that fuel line. The stock one is poor quality.  Maybe it's collapsed inside and restricting fuel flow. I swapped mine for automotive fuel hose. A long enough piece that it loops back over the battery to eliminate any kink.

Hope your fix is an easy one.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 11:36:36 pm
As Gizzo says, that fuel line is a known trouble spot. Sometimes it is visibly kinked or pinched.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 07:44:56 am
I can recommend a fuel line braided in stainless steel on the outside that keeps the hose bit form stable. After trying a couple of hoses with reoccuring issues, this sort of fule line finally solved it for good.

Birdy78

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 09:48:41 am
wow - thanks for the quick replies! I didn't know the inside of the hose could also be a problem - I'll whip that off and get a new one on pronto!