Author Topic: Euro4 In The USA?  (Read 2058 times)

tpelle

• Scooter
on: July 18, 2020, 10:26:12 pm
Is the 2017 - 2018 Continental GT 535 as imported to the USA equipped with all of the same Euro4 emissions gear as are the bikes sold in Europe?  I'm considering buying a U.S. 2017 bike which the OP complains still frequently stalls, and if so I would probably just do the Mikuni carburetor conversion on it.  Just wondering which kit from Hitchcock's would be appropriate.
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 11:39:09 pm
I think they list them specifically for the CGT535, with pre and post 2017 options.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tpelle

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 01:08:00 am
Yes, but the difference is some extra "spoofer" plugs and the instructions to remove the charcoal canister and plumbing on the Euro4 version.  If the 2017 and 2018 U.S. version does not have the Euro4 stuff, then the kit for the previous year might be the appropriate version.

From what I understand, though, RE does not make specific versions for different markets.  The only exception, I think, is the dopey DOT headlight that they put on the U.S. version with the three "aiming" screws - in spite of the fact that the entire headlight bucket can be tilted!
Remember, when riding a horse, you are not actually in charge, but are just another voting member.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 02:37:27 pm
The US DOT regs for bikes seems to be nothing more than a "cut and paste" from the ones for cages.
Typical performance from beurocrats who've seen but never ridden bikes. The whole "aimable headlight" thing doesn't even really apply to the casquette style, either.
Shameful.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 04:23:50 pm
From what I understand, though, RE does not make specific versions for different markets.  The only exception, I think, is the dopey DOT headlight that they put on the U.S. version with the three "aiming" screws - in spite of the fact that the entire headlight bucket can be tilted!
What I've read here on the forum seems to contradict your statement.  The North American export machines seem to be different from the Euro export machines, which are, (or were anyway) different from the domestic market machines.  From what I've heard, the NA engine control systems were never updated to full Euro 4, .. US never got the intake air temp sensor.   It's hard to get info on this, but the ECU P/N ( thus firmware) may have been different as well.  I think that all the NA export engine control systems are essentially Euro III equivalent.  US market is a very small player in overall numbers of machines.

But I'm no expert.  I'd recommend taking a good look at the machine you want to modify so you'll know exactly what you are dealing with.  Folks have ordered accessories like Booster Plug, then found there was no place to plug them in.

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 08:31:22 am
Is the 2017 - 2018 Continental GT 535 as imported to the USA equipped with all of the same Euro4 emissions gear as are the bikes sold in Europe?  I'm considering buying a U.S. 2017 bike which the OP complains still frequently stalls, and if so I would probably just do the Mikuni carburetor conversion on it.  Just wondering which kit from Hitchcock's would be appropriate.

I expect with the bike being a 2017 model in the USA it will fall under the Euro 3 category. The easiest way to confirm, is to check which ECU type (or fuel pump) you have fitted, take a look at the image below that we use as a reference for this:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:34:24 am by Dantheman »

tpelle

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 11:15:20 pm
I expect with the bike being a 2017 model in the USA it will fall under the Euro 3 category. The easiest way to confirm, is to check which ECU type (or fuel pump) you have fitted, take a look at the image below that we use as a reference for this:

Thanks.  I believe that gives me the information that I need.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 07:51:51 am
I'd bet that he's going to find one of those pink labeled Keihin ECUs:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/c4YAAOSw-V1cS10K/s-l1600.jpg