Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855230 times)

robfred

• Scooter
  • Be more dog
Reply #7875 on: March 27, 2020, 07:06:57 pm
Thanks for the photos Haggis, very helpful. Looks nothing like mine, whoever put it together just sort of shoved it in behind the ECU box only way to really access it will be to take the whole box off which looks a real pain in the arse  >:(
Think I will leave alone and just cable tie the housing out of the way when I do the Carberry.

Cheers

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Reply #7876 on: March 29, 2020, 02:27:22 am
Today I finished making an entire new wire loom for the rear tail/brake light and indicators, along with replacing the small and poorly installed aftermarket LED ones (that I assume the previous owner bought on ebay), to the original OEM tail light box unit.

I had to rewire and made my own 5 wire loom myself because the wiring was rubbing against the rear tyre as it was poorly fitted when whoever did the "mods" refitted everything.

It turned out, once I opened up all the horrible, sticky, gooey mess of electrical tape that one of the reasons the wires were making contact with the tyre was that the loom was thicker than OEM. The reason why is because they ran the wires from the back of the bike where the original OEM indicators go, all the way back up and around the rear guard, to where they mounted the aftermarket indicators under the seat.

This basically made the loom almost twice as thick as it should be.

The plugs on the loom were non-existent too. So there was no way of plugging the new light assembly into the existing loom. Bare wires, twisted together, wrapped in electrical tape. No solder, no crimps, no clips, no cable ties. Nothing that would resemble any logical repair or modification.

So I decided to cut five 1m long strips of automotive wire, fit two 6-pin deutche connectors to either ends. Colour coding the wires (Red, Brown, Green, Blue, Black) and using those colours to connect the two indicators, tail light and brake light to ground (black wire).

Everything was then heatshinked so its quite tidy and smaller than OEM. Being about to tuck itself right up against the rear guard. I used double walled heatshrink so it is quite stiff too.

I crimped all grounds (each rear indicator and tail/brake light) together (black wire). Red wire went to tail light power, blue wire went to brake light power, brown and green are to their respective indicators.

Now, everything works again, and is hopefully safe and a few more millimetres away from that rear tyre.

I also noticed that the rear tyre was fitted back to front on the rear rim. Again, the poor workmanship of the previous owner or the shop they were taking the bike to. Either way. The only thing now left to do is await the full lock kit with two brand new keys and finish off the restoration of this beauty.

Here are some before and after shots of the loom.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 02:35:16 am by stefano_musica »
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C

Relic

• Scooter
Reply #7877 on: March 29, 2020, 05:28:38 am
Like many other areas, here in New Zealand we are on COVID-19 lock down. It's a good opportunity to catch up with jobs both on the house and in the workshop.

Today I gave the Classic 350 an oil & filter change, waxed the paint, treated the leather saddle and polished the chrome.   

2021 Classic 500

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #7878 on: April 01, 2020, 06:38:58 pm
 :) Last friday,I took my B5 to the new dealer in town,and had new k70 tires put on,and the oil and filter changed. T hey closed Saturday, because of the Virus. We are on lockdown here ,but I will ride,when the weather improves.Snow ,and 32* here this morning!
Lynn

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #7879 on: April 03, 2020, 09:26:12 pm
Not to brag or anything, but my Rumbler 500 is getting around three months to the gallon, more or less.  We've been on lockdown for a couple weeks now, and another couple to go from what the government is saying.  So the Rumbler's on her center stand with the battery cover on the saddle until further notice.  Pulled the battery and charged it up (don't have a battery tender) and will charge it again before putting it back in once this quarantine thing is past.  Sure could use a ride out and about, but not enough to risk the heavy fine for doing so.  Nationwide folks are acting like every one of their neighbors have the virus instead of 1 in 50 thousand that the statistics show.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

kdxandrew

• Scooter
Reply #7880 on: April 12, 2020, 11:14:48 am
Like many other areas, here in New Zealand we are on COVID-19 lock down. It's a good opportunity to catch up with jobs both on the house and in the workshop.

Today I gave the Classic 350 an oil & filter change, waxed the paint, treated the leather saddle and polished the chrome.

Yup - there'll be a few shiny Enfields around! I even greased the steering head bearing - can't think I've ever done that on schedule before!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7881 on: April 12, 2020, 03:39:31 pm

I had to rewire and made my own 5 wire loom myself because the wiring was rubbing against the rear tyre as it was poorly fitted when whoever did the "mods" refitted everything.

It turned out, once I opened up all the horrible, sticky, gooey mess of electrical tape that one of the reasons the wires were making contact with the tyre was that the loom was thicker than OEM. The reason why is because they ran the wires from the back of the bike where the original OEM indicators go, all the way back up and around the rear guard, to where they mounted the aftermarket indicators under the seat.

Bare wires, twisted together, wrapped in electrical tape. No solder, no crimps, no clips, no cable ties.

You've done essentially what I did to my '08 AVL, but it was Brand New!

All the wiring and connections (and bare wire twisted splices) and the sticky black tape were a horrendous nightmare from the factory.

I unwrapped what seemed like miles of sticky, black electrical tape from front to rear. Went through every wire and connection and then rewrapped it with non-sticky, '50s style cloth harness tape. I then redid everything from under the seat to the rear end and made sure those wires would Never Ever touch the wheel.

It was a many weeks-long love/hate situation, but I now trust it totally electrickery-wise after all the other stuff I did relative to electrical stuff too long-winded to go into here.

You've done one helluva job with your bike. Good luck. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:42:29 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

stefano_musica

• Scooter
Reply #7882 on: April 14, 2020, 09:34:01 am
       You've done essentially what I did to my '08 AVL, but it was Brand New!

All the wiring and connections (and bare wire twisted splices) and the sticky black tape were a horrendous nightmare from the factory.

I unwrapped what seemed like miles of sticky, black electrical tape from front to rear. Went through every wire and connection and then rewrapped it with non-sticky, '50s style cloth harness tape. I then redid everything from under the seat to the rear end and made sure those wires would Never Ever touch the wheel.

It was a many weeks-long love/hate situation, but I now trust it totally electrickery-wise after all the other stuff I did relative to electrical stuff too long-winded to go into here.

You've done one helluva job with your bike. Good luck.

Thank you. I took it for a ride today to run grocery and medication errands. Since owning it, it is now 100% OEM and to be honest, the best its ever been. I love my Harley, but it's nice pottering along to get groceries and stuff for the house with it. Just a no fuss, easy to ride bike that I nearly sold, but glad I didn't.

Next project will be to get the lady's vintage vespa going, then I'll get back on the 500 and begin tidying up the wiring in the headlight. Also a shambles, but working. Then I'll do wires under the tank, followed by under the seat.

But right now, I am stoked with the bike.
2010 Classic 500 - 45,000km and keeps on thumping
2013 Harley XL1200C

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7883 on: April 15, 2020, 06:19:57 am
We in Phoenix are under lock down too.  Not supposed to be out driving around and all that.
Because of this the weekly car show about 8 miles from where I live isn't being held but I felt my RE needed some exercise so, I started it and climbed aboard.  I figure since I'm riding alone and not stopping at any place where groups of people are, I probably won't catch the disease and I sure won't be giving it to anyone (in case I have it and don't know).

The ride was great and my RE seems much happier now.  Needless to say, I am much happier.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

kdxandrew

• Scooter
Reply #7884 on: April 15, 2020, 09:18:25 am
Lockdown continues... Now taken the rear mudguard and side boxes off for some touch-up painting on the stone chips..

Hey presto - instant bobber!  Amazing how much lighter it feels :-)

ivanthetolerable

• Scooter
Reply #7885 on: April 19, 2020, 04:53:49 am
I rode to a local tank today after doing some polishing
2014 Royal Enfield C5 Military
1977 Kawi/Yama/other random parts I found laying around ratbike.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7886 on: April 19, 2020, 01:38:25 pm
 Birds of a feather.  ;D
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #7887 on: April 19, 2020, 05:07:09 pm
took the battery out and put it on charge as not riding due to uk lockdown...although I may do some 'essential' shopping on the Bullet at some point.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Frogman8

• Scooter
Reply #7888 on: April 27, 2020, 05:40:55 am
took the battery out and put it on charge as not riding due to uk lockdown...although I may do some 'essential' shopping on the Bullet at some point.

A battery tender is very convenient. May want to research it.
2011 G5: The 'new' 'Toofan' Mail. Thunderous name.. pedestrian pace
2008 Iron Barrel: Sold in a moment of madness
2001 Triumph Legend 900
2013 Kawasaki KLX 250, will ride someday
1991 Honda Nighthawk: Sold...Incredibly boring
1982 Honda Magna V45: Hmm
1988 Jawa/ Yezdi 350 twin: Many miles, more stor

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #7889 on: April 27, 2020, 10:01:31 pm
I have 3 battery tenders unfortunately the Enfield is stored 1 mile away from any power, I tried solar but didn't work, just as easy to take the battery out along with the other 2 motorcycles and car that are in the same storage, I then connect them up to the tenders.
 I mean who knows how long we are going to be locked down in the UK, could be a while yet.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.