Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855570 times)

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7500 on: April 29, 2018, 05:09:21 pm
I'm STILL behind the 'today' curve but if I don't keep moving it won't improve. ;D

I purchased my used 2016 RE about three weeks ago at 104 miles (now 380 after yesterday's excellent day at Barona's Antique Drags with my friend's 1949 Ford Anglia).  Shortly after I purchased the motorcycle, I replaced the stock lead acid battery with a Shorai LFX14L5-BS12 (https://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=175&make=376042&model=376045&year=376045) LiFePO4 battery.  When you receive your shipment, you're going to think Dang, they forgot to pack the battery.  Lithiums are that light!

I chose Shorai based on motorcycle forum reputation, informative website, motorcycle on homepage, and Royal Enfield in the vehicle selector.

I chose LiFePO4 over Optima and Odyssey because it fully charges at stock lead acid voltages while AGM requires 0.2-0.4 higher voltage for a full charge.

I didn't buy a LiFePO4-specific charger but rather am using my existing CTEK multi-use 4.3 amp charger (CTEK-56-864, no longer on CTEK website) with the cigarette plug adapter (https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/connect-cig-plug) into my power outlet (a future post).  However I won't use this charger for long-term trickle charge just in case of incompatibility and certainly not in it's recovery mode because the voltages are too high for the LiFePO4 chemistry.

The Shorai is slighly smaller than the stock lead acid so I used the included self-adhesive foam spacers on the battery bracket and cover as shown below.  I used two thin pads on the back of the bracket and a thick pad on the bottom for spacing.  I used a thin pad on the cover to reduce sideways movement. You can install them with the bracket in place; I was modifying cables which required bracket removal (see next post)

The battery has both side and top threaded terminals (ie, no loose nuts).  I used the side terminals for the two primary wires and top terminals for auxiliary/accessory wires.  Use washers on top terminals to prevent top bolts fouling of side terminal bolts.

Performance?  Just like stock lead acid battery -- the motorcycle starts consistently after 0.25 sec cranking.  Moving on to next project...
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7501 on: April 29, 2018, 06:03:46 pm
As I mentioned over at UCE Cams, Peter and GHG are adamant about replacing primary cables.  So I took a look and RE certainly didn't spend much money on copper wire.  Even though its only a 900W starter, the ground wire is way too small (lower wire in second picture) and the +12 wire isn't much bigger.

So I had this Cadillac Northstar engine cable laying around (first picture) and used it to replace the battery-to-starter ground (upper wire in second picture) and the relay-to-starter cable (third picture).  The battery-to-relay cable is a future project.

The battery tray must be removed for access to the relay which requires removal of the right-side storage compartment.

Getting grounds right is important, especially on ECU-equipped vehicles, so I looked for chassis grounds besides the starter ground.  I found one (which seems to be the only one) connected to a regulator bracket bolt.  I was also concerned about the dinky size of the battery-to-harness ground wire (the short stub on the lower wire of the second picture).  And I wanted a common ground for my accessories.  So I reversed the stock battery-to-starter ground wire (starter end to battery top terminal, battery end to chassis ground) and together with the chassis ground mentioned above fastened them to the regulator bracket bolt.

At this time I didn't want to disassemble the wiring harness to upgrade the dinky +12 and ground wires.  That's a future project although I'll probably use parallel wiring rather than replaced wiring.

Performance?  Just like stock wiring -- the motorcycle starts consistently after 0.25 sec cranking.  Moving on to next project...

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7502 on: April 29, 2018, 07:11:12 pm
I'm catching up on the 'today' curve -- only a few days behind. ;D

I purchased my used 2016 RE about three weeks ago at 104 miles.  The previous owner installed "bullet" turn signals and a "tombstone" taillight.  A condition of sale was the original parts were included, which they were.

For the front, I picked apart the bullet wires from the stock 2-pin connectors and installed the trafficator wires.

For the rear, first I installed the "doghouse" tail assembly.  Then I picked apart the tombstone wires from the stock 3-pin connector and installed the brake/tail light wires.  I drilled four holes for the license plate.

Then three days ago, I cut the wires on the rear bullets and unbolted their brackets from the shock mounts.  Then I removed the rear fender and stripped out the wiring.  I reused the brake, tail and ground wires.  I replaced the shortened left (Blk/Wht) and right (Blk/Grn) trafficator wires [1] and added another ground, an Always-On +12, and two signal (Hazard Flasher and HelpMe) wires.  I installed two-pin connectors on the trafficator wires.

The motorcycle is back to stock front and rear -- much improved looks!

The Hazard Flasher and HelpMe electronics are a future project...

PS I use Timers Shop (http://timers.shop/) relays.  Very cool, very small and very capable.

[1] ScalyBack's 8/6/2014 EFI Workshop Chart has the rear colors right but the labels reversed.  Its still a very useful diagram which I have often referred to instead of the "service manual".

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #7503 on: April 30, 2018, 05:43:49 am
So after a good 90,000km run on the 2013 Enfield C5, I'm putting her out to pasture for now.
She's been a brilliant daily commuter, I've been meticulous with maintenance and she's never left me on the side of the road.
She'll make a great bike for my son in 4 years time when he gets his licence - or I'll throw a sidecar on her for shits and giggles in the meantime.
Will store her well and bring her out for weekenders and special events.

As for my new steed - 2017 Bonneville Bobber. The grin hasn't left since I rode her for the first time last week.
I do miss the thumper, but enjoy the rumble too!
I've learnt a lot from you crazy bastards just by virtue of this forum and I'm looking forward to seeing who gets their hands on the twins first later this year.
M

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7504 on: April 30, 2018, 02:53:11 pm
magoo
is that a misprint or did you really get 90,000 klm out of that enfield. if so I never actually thought they would be capable of ding it if so I think you really got your $$$$ out of it.
all the best with the triump!

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #7505 on: April 30, 2018, 03:16:21 pm
magoo
is that a misprint or did you really get 90,000 klm out of that enfield. if so I never actually thought they would be capable of ding it if so I think you really got your $$$$ out of it.
all the best with the triump!

Nope, not an error. Ok...88,700 and was gearing up for the next 10,000k service. Will get a snap of the odo for a few naysayers hehe.
We had the One Ride day a few weeks back organised by a local Enfield dealer in Perth and it was held up in high esteem and proof these things are more than capable of longevity if maintained right.

Funnily enough, still going strong actually, albeit a little tired. I have no doubt she’d have clocked it by year’s end. I didn’t go easy on her either. Was never one to mollycoddle my ride and she gave me many smiles at freeway speeds, rain or shine.

Dropped it twice in that time, once a power slide in the wet. But still freakin powered on.
Getting all melancholy now....

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7506 on: April 30, 2018, 05:36:58 pm
Put the original exhaust system back on.
I junked the stainless steel higher flowing downpipe and straight through short silencer.  The bike now pulls the larger sprocket noticeably easier.

Do you still have the silencer?
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7507 on: April 30, 2018, 09:14:52 pm
nothing today, I just wanted to post on the 500th page lol

I need to get out more. At least the weather looks good for an upcoming bank holiday :)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7508 on: May 01, 2018, 12:39:17 am
magoo
I think you should keep the wheels roll'in on the enfield and go for the big number 100,000 or 000000 or a odo changeover.....that would be some mean feat.
I actually thought sectorsteve had the highest klm bike about while he was really belting up the klm.
no reason to wear out the triumph - hit the big number with the enfield first- then retire it! ;D
I think in the early years I actually got nearly 10,000 klm out of one I had....LOL since then it's been a downhill run!

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #7509 on: May 02, 2018, 01:05:27 pm
Nope, not an error. Ok...88,700 and was gearing up for the next 10,000k service. Will get a snap of the odo for a few naysayers hehe.
We had the One Ride day a few weeks back organised by a local Enfield dealer in Perth and it was held up in high esteem and proof these things are more than capable of longevity if maintained right.

Funnily enough, still going strong actually, albeit a little tired. I have no doubt she’d have clocked it by year’s end. I didn’t go easy on her either. Was never one to mollycoddle my ride and she gave me many smiles at freeway speeds, rain or shine.

Dropped it twice in that time, once a power slide in the wet. But still freakin powered on.
Getting all melancholy now....

I believe you.  When my Rumbler was stripped down for the top end rebuild (piston, connecting rod, cylinder, plus related bearings) under warranty, there was no discernible wear on any of the parts other than the connecting rod and a bit of a smudge on the side of the cylinder from the resulting knocking from the defective rod. She was right at 18,000 km at that point, and indicating that with proper maintenance she should reach 100,000 with no problem.  Time will tell.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #7510 on: May 02, 2018, 02:50:06 pm
Took Harriet for her MOT - passed with flying colours. Celebrated with a wonderful meandering route home via the Glamorgan coast.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7511 on: May 06, 2018, 02:37:36 am
I was hoping someone would bump this topic to 501 but got tired of waiting.  Fabricated power outlet for navigator, etc -- see How ... navigator? topic.  Installed fin intake -- see UCE Cams topic.  As I parked in my driveway the odometer turned 00600.0 miles.  I'm interpreting this as a lucky omen.  I'm changing oil and filter again tomorrow as it keeps turning cloudy (first change at 200 miles by dealer).

Ergyd -- where did you get those clear trafficator lenses?  I couldn't find them at CMW or Hitchcock.  And your MOT accepted the amber LEDs with clear lenses -- cool.  Maybe things are different in Wales than they are further east.

Wrc323

• Scooter
Reply #7512 on: May 06, 2018, 12:45:10 pm
Well I've had her for a week and found that the speedo bulb had blown. So today I popped in a new globe. I tried out a LED that I had but the light spread wasn't good so stuck with a white light bulb that came with some H4 globes I bought for my car years ago. While I was at it I swapped the H4 globe out for a whiter light bulb. I've got some BA9s LED's on order for the tiger eyes and parker. I've also put my GPS mount on.

I'm thinking about getting some replacement turn signals, something a little smaller and black. Probably stick with bulb to avoid LED conversion problems. Also thinking of changing the muffler/silencer to a smaller unit, in black too, probably the one Wild Bill had on his dispatch. Not sure if I'll mod anything else, I quite like it as is, perhaps some panniers...

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7513 on: May 06, 2018, 03:51:20 pm
Do you still have the silencer?

No, ended up in the recycling bin.
I mashed up the underside of it just after fitting it on a tight right hander Which also split it open where the universal slide captive nut groove was welded on to the main body which then required a lot of unsightly repair to block up the leaks. It was doubtful I’d find it a new home - even giving it away.

Bit too late to edit my original post but to clarify the bike now pulls the larger front sprocket noticeably easier around town when in traffic.
Haven’t taken the bike over 60 and have no intention of doing but I doubt the higher gearing on what is otherwise a stock bike has done the top end any favours.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:08:14 pm by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #7514 on: May 07, 2018, 07:14:08 am
Bert - just saw your question, Apologies!

The clear lenses came with the bike - the previous owner hadn't got around to switching them. But looking at the packaging, I believe they came from eBay seller Enfield County, who're based in India.

I'd taken the amber lenses with me to the MOT, just in case. But they didn't mention anything, and she passed, so I didn't ask any questions!