Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855513 times)

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7410 on: February 24, 2018, 11:55:23 pm
I finally got out fer a nice poot after 12 days of icy temps & snow flurries. Started the ride at +6 C and by the time I was done it was 10 C. Beauty! :)
I just finished cleaning the road salt & sand from under the mudguards & givin' the wee beasty a touch up wax. All is sweet.

Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7411 on: February 25, 2018, 06:15:12 am
Got the heads rebuilt and ready to go for the Blackhawk.  I'll be going over to a  friend's house tomorrow to start mocking up the cylinders to check for clearance on the forged rods. 
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7412 on: February 27, 2018, 09:05:25 pm
I'll get round to taking a pic but almost finished putting a set of Electra bars onto the B5. Just need to some jiggery-pokery with the brake line and throttle cables i.e take the brakeline off the master cyclinder so nothing is under stress.

Initial feel seems to bring me to the front of the bike more but I'm hoping to see if left wrist will ache after a decent ride, stop start commute.

Bad news, weather totally freezing with snow and ice so even when done there'll be no testing for a bit.

If all goes well after testing, I might even retry the screen. Or put the old ones back on. Roll on warm weather!

*edit*

Flash of inspriration - no need to remove banjo bolt, just sort of untwisted it over and under the throttle cables as it were though if anyone know hows to get the front brake switch free, that'd be dead handy.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:40:21 pm by Carlsberg Wordsworth »

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7413 on: March 01, 2018, 04:17:10 am
Parts book shows the switch/wires/connector as a complete kit.
It also appears the switch plugs into the switch housing on the Master Cylinder, and can be removed. I've just never done it (not needed to) so I can't say for sure how.
Do you need to remove it from its housing, or can you just remove it in situ along with the Master Cylinder by disconnecting the other end?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7414 on: March 01, 2018, 09:32:14 pm
I've decided to leave 'as is'. On the master cylinder end you'd have to pull it out from the front wires but no connector. The wires are then pressed into the connector after pulling them through the master cylinder front to back if this makes sense. So I either cut them and bullet connect them or live with it. It's no biggie, just aesthetics really. I'm just hoping the bars are comfortable when riding :)

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7415 on: March 03, 2018, 12:53:31 am
Had a nice ride around me zone today & the weather was decently clear with temp around 9c. Ended up gettin' a fresh pile of Motorcycle Classics magazines over at my dealer's shop. :) Folks bring in their excess magazines and we all share 'em around. Cool recycling.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #7416 on: March 05, 2018, 06:29:21 pm
Had a nice ride around me zone today & the weather was decently clear with temp around 9c. Ended up gettin' a fresh pile of Motorcycle Classics magazines over at my dealer's shop. :) Folks bring in their excess magazines and we all share 'm around. Cool recycling.

That's a fine looking Bullet, and you seem to keep it up nicely. I do love those chromy rides. Bit on the cool side in the high 40s (also about 9 degrees Celsius), but I also had a nice long snort through the hinterlands. Today I think I'm gonna look into my drive chain adjustment whilst changing the oil in the old towbeast Dodge Durango.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #7417 on: March 05, 2018, 07:54:18 pm
Hadn't moved the Rumbler since returning from Bogotá a week ago last Friday.  Moved it out and checked the oil, looked a bit low but didn't think about it too much as had places to go and things to do.  Got back from running errands and when I went to park it again, low and behold a nice little mess on the pad (we park our bikes on rubber mats, keeps from scratching up the tile) Took a quick look and still not sure exactly where it's coming from.  Need to wash it good and then we'll see if we can pinpoint the area it's coming from.

Between taking off and returning had a good little rumble into town, did what needed done and headed home - via the scenic route.  South of town caught caught on the fringe edge of some rain, managed to get out of it before needing to stop and don rain gear.  Winter weather here is brutal, 26* here in the foothills of the Andes.  Life is rough between the Canal and the Equator!  ;)   8)
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7418 on: March 06, 2018, 04:52:34 pm
Took off my Hitchcocks replacement silencer and replaced it with one of their stainless steel silencers, retaining the Hitchcocks downpipe. Went for a brief ride. Nice. The reasons for the change is that I never particularly liked the look of the first replacement, even with the baffle in it was too loud after a while, it never felt secure with the supplied mounting and it scraped the ground when cornering enthusiastically. New one seems much more mellow, about midway between the original bazooka and the first replacement. :)
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

_Paul_

• Scooter
Reply #7419 on: March 09, 2018, 03:28:48 am
Finally fitted a stainless O2 sensor blanking plug in the exhaust, the plug is a well made item but looking at it it looks a bit of a dogs dinner what with the factory applied silver paint (that I cant get off).

I'm tempted to try Hitchcocks big bore pipe at least then I wont have the O2 sensor weldment carbuncle.
1968 BSA Bantam D14/4
2017 Classic Chrome Bullet 500
1996 Yamaha 535 Virago
1996 GT550 Kawasaki G9
1988 GT550 Kawasaki G5
1987 GT550 Kawasaki G4
1991 GT750 Kawasaki P5
1989 R80RT BMW
1981 R100RT BMW

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7420 on: March 09, 2018, 09:44:24 am
I'd check with them first before parting with any money! 
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #7421 on: March 09, 2018, 01:52:15 pm
Should be chrome under that silver paint.   ???  I think I have used steel wool for removal.  :P
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7422 on: March 10, 2018, 03:25:02 am
Did the usual check over on the bike, plus an adjustment to the EJK, then got out fer a nice braap around me zone. Sunny skies & 10c temp...nice. 8)

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #7423 on: March 10, 2018, 11:39:18 am
Did my first drive chain adjustment and tappets check (all was well enough). Had a small bit of luck at the Harbor Freight getting the required 24 mm and 30 mm sockets for those castle and stub axle nuts. They were having one of their sidewalk sales, and just happened to have a big 1/2" drive impact socket set missing a couple of its smaller sockets marked way down that still had the needful 24 and 30. Got a nice long fat 1/2" breaker bar with the difference to replace the one lent to a buddy long ago and never returned. I can only presume he must be using it as a marital aid, and that it has since acquired some sentimental value. Who am I to stand in the way of true romance?
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7424 on: March 10, 2018, 12:58:54 pm
Tappets check? On a UCE?
Sic se res habet: fractum est...