Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855560 times)

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7230 on: October 28, 2017, 01:20:25 am
Another beauty day fer a 100 km poot. :) After doing an oil & filter change, I went on a great ride in me zone, then hit the grocery & swill stores in my village for goodies. I then carried on out along the West Coast road for a spell before headin' home. It was sure nice at around 16 C. 8)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:31:04 am by Fragman »
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #7231 on: October 28, 2017, 12:05:41 pm
I'd imagine that fairing makes a huge difference now we're coming into winter. Do you get much turbulence even on a windy day johno?
I fitted it due to having to ride through 2 winters the first without a fairing and then just a screen was pretty hard work as you can imagine. The Avon style fairing is as good or if not better than my GL1200, its surprisingly aerodynamic and even with open face helmet there is no turbulence, the top of the screen is level with the bridge of my nose, hands/gloves are well protected as well. The leg guards however are usless, but there on now and that's where they'll stay! Although(like the fairing) they keep the bugs at bay in summer......
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #7232 on: October 28, 2017, 12:40:15 pm
Just fitted ...another..pilot light bulb! :o
It does mean more time to stand and look at the lovely thing though. 8)
Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7233 on: October 28, 2017, 06:58:37 pm
If you suffer with the same side pilot light failing then check the earth tang that sits within a groove inside the rubber moulding.  Took me four bulb failures to discover an intermittent earth was the cause of the problem :-[
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7234 on: October 30, 2017, 02:00:44 am
I gave the bike a tire pressure check & a spot of chain lube and then went fer a couple of rides which ended up around 180 kms total.

T'day was even better riding weather than the past few days. It started out at around 11 C on the first run after lunch and by the time I got back @ 3:30, it was fookin' +17. 8) After a quick gut stuffin', I was out for another blast around me zone. Bike is running beauty. :)

This Samhain should be perfect for a midnight poot. ;)

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7235 on: October 30, 2017, 02:38:37 am
Just fitted ...another..pilot light bulb! :o
It does mean more time to stand and look at the lovely thing though. 8)

That is a lovely colour combination.  The nacelle in black is a neat touch.

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #7236 on: October 30, 2017, 09:10:44 pm
Cheers Blairio, it's the standard Lagoon Blue paint scheme.
I've done lots of little mods though, changed the horn, indicators, seat, exhaust, handle bar grips, bar end mirrors, stripped the lacquer off the levers and polished them, a few stickers, removed the edge trims from the tool boxes(so they close properly) and fitted an EJK.
It's a real joy to ride.
Krusty
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:14:47 pm by krusty »
Krusty

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7237 on: October 30, 2017, 09:28:05 pm
Bought a polishing mop drill attachment for a few pounds that came with some sort of polishing compound. The idea was it would help with keeping the cases and forks up to a shiny level. Having not done this before, it might be a revisit at some point but initial thoughts were that I should just stay with elbow grease and Autosol. Which I realised the other day that I have had a couple of tubes for nearly 25 years! Not that they've always had a bike to polish mind you.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7238 on: October 30, 2017, 10:58:51 pm
Another day in the sun, though a tad breezy along the coast. The wind has just dropped to nothin' so I'll be out on the road again after this post to catch the sunset. ;D

Krusty, I quite like the blue version as well. Nicely done. :) Only question though: Why keep the O2 sensor when it ain't needed with an EJK installed?

-2013 Classic Maroon-

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7239 on: October 30, 2017, 11:01:13 pm
it appears the snakes are about more than the norm this year. over the past week I have come across two of them -one on each ride.
missed the first and ran over the second. unintentional too! no interest this way running over the very deadly eastern brown snake BUT I did pull up further on up the road to check the bike for extra luggage and the legs too.....LOL
same road and almost same place- gotta pick another road ::)

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7240 on: October 31, 2017, 12:25:07 am
Close to sundown and the temp at 15 C. Rather fookin' lovely! ;D

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7241 on: October 31, 2017, 02:46:30 am
Cheers Blairio, it's the standard Lagoon Blue paint scheme.
I've done lots of little mods though, changed the horn, indicators, seat, exhaust, handle bar grips, bar end mirrors, stripped the lacquer off the levers and polished them, a few stickers, removed the edge trims from the tool boxes(so they close properly) and fitted an EJK.
It's a real joy to ride.
Krusty

I have a similar approach with my Electra - I call it 'continuous improvement'. I changed the horn for a louder one and mounted it sideways - like many a mid 1950's british bike had their horn mounted.

https://www.highwayhawk.com/product/Horn-12v-Live-To-Ride-Chrome/

The horn's legend 'live to ride' and the bald eagle on the cover raise a few eyebrows amongst my brit-biker pals, but they can't deny it is loud, and very shiny.

Bigger revisions include a full Hitchcocks exhaust system, Hagon rear shocks and solo seat & pillion conversion.  Oddly, I have just refitted the original dual seat, as my partner now likes to go for the odd spin with me. The engine seems unphased by her additional weight ( I am 87kg and she is 57kg).  I simply upped the tyre pressures and cranked up the preload on the Hagons.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7242 on: October 31, 2017, 02:54:40 am
Bought a polishing mop drill attachment for a few pounds that came with some sort of polishing compound. The idea was it would help with keeping the cases and forks up to a shiny level. Having not done this before, it might be a revisit at some point but initial thoughts were that I should just stay with elbow grease and Autosol. Which I realised the other day that I have had a couple of tubes for nearly 25 years! Not that they've always had a bike to polish mind you.

I have been toying with buying a Dremel polishing kit, but holding off as once my cases are polished to a mirror finish, I would become a slave to keeping them that way! Why are you having second thoughts about using your polishing kit?

My favourite engine finish is on the older Laverdas - a dull shot-peened finish that doesn't corrode or need polished, and develops a lovely patina with age.  A friend says you can achieve that finish on any casing with acrylic bead blasting, so I may investigate getting this done locally (Glasgow, Scotland).  On the other hand, Enfields do look good with polished cases. Also, there seems to be a real problem with beads getting lodged in oil ways and other hard to reach nooks and crannies.

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #7243 on: October 31, 2017, 07:00:27 pm
Krusty, I quite like the blue version as well. Nicely done. :) Only question though: Why keep the O2 sensor when it ain't needed with an EJK installed?
That'll be 'cos it's actually an old photo. Pre EJK. Having said that I still have the O2 sensor screwed in but not connected, must make a blanking plug for it! We are quiet at work so I'll make one this week hopefully.
Cheers Fragman... another little improvement in the pipe line!
Krusty

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #7244 on: October 31, 2017, 07:17:20 pm
Some real nice looking bikes there fellas! 8)
Krusty