Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855575 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #7125 on: August 03, 2017, 04:53:46 am
Cut two trees out from beside my house and rode out the front way!  ::) Made my local rounds and rode back in too.  Should've done that long ago! 8)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #7126 on: August 04, 2017, 05:52:19 pm
Took a nice 50-mile-or-so loop ride from home in Lansing, west to Mulliken for a cheeseburger, thence up a twisty road through a state game area to Portland and back down Old Grand River Hwy to home - Gd. River passes by Chez Rigger, a block or so away.  Had to do a lot of kick-starting; my AGM battery is starting to not hold a charge very well. Rather disappointing for a five-year-old battery of that expense, that's spent a lot of time on a proper Battery Tender in the down-times.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

noontime

• Scooter
Reply #7127 on: August 14, 2017, 08:41:52 pm
Explored why I was getting a significant loss in power on acceleration of any significance. Found out that I had a broken motor mount, which caused my muffler mount to bounce loose on the way to work and somehow my entire negative battery cable had severed at the battery terminal and there was zero ground connection on the bike...cut the cables, rewired it all, heat shrink on everything and presto, problem fixed!!

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #7128 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:14 am
Chased a short in the high/low headlight switch and rebuilt.  Installed a sealed beam 7inch headlight.  All is now well.  Enlightening, Heh-heh-heh.

Thudone1

• Scooter
Reply #7129 on: August 16, 2017, 12:32:43 pm
Rode a wheelie, thanks to Grisso  :D
2012 500 Bullet ????????????

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #7130 on: August 16, 2017, 03:45:20 pm
Left her at the shop for new tires.  Putting Michelin Siracs on front and back.  Also putting in a new battery, the factory one died after just under two years of use.  Wonder if the missing bolt on the battery holder and the loose remaining bolt have anything to do with the battery going kaput. Not being strapped in tight means there's even MORE vibration being absorbed by the battery. The Rumbler looks pretty good with the matte black replacing some of the chrome.  There's a couple things I'd like to change, but have a trip to take first.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #7131 on: August 16, 2017, 10:55:47 pm
Picked her up and came home via the scenic route.  The Siracs handle nicely, although they'll get topped up to 30/35 psi front/back before my trip.  The shop put them 28/32 psi but I prefer just a bit more since she hauls quite a load.

Funny thing with the bad battery, when I'd switch on the headlight the motor would die - even doing 25-50 mph down the road, it'd just cut out.  Never seen that before.  Also, there was a lot of jerkiness when accelerating.  Now with the new Motobat in, she's back to purring like a kitten, well, rumbling like normal.   Need to post a new pic of her sporting the new blackout parts.  There's still more chrome than I care for, but she's looking better.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Chilliman

• Scooter
Reply #7132 on: August 16, 2017, 11:31:54 pm
Just finished porting and polishing a head for my C5.
Came up nice  :D

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #7133 on: August 17, 2017, 05:13:47 am
Way to go Chilliman, air flow is where it is at!

Took Bholenath out to the monthly local Moto night.  :)   

It was a beautiful day for a ride, so I couldn't resist going along the coastal route.

There was a huge turnout. Saw a very nice green 2007 Iron Barrel, and two continental GT's (both with ladies riding them :o)! 

Gorgeous dusk ride home back up the coast.

I really love the ride of that C5. Can't wait for the Portland Ride out this Saturday!  8)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Chilliman

• Scooter
Reply #7134 on: August 17, 2017, 08:20:06 am
Here are some pics of the semi finished head
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:23:39 am by Chilliman »

Chilliman

• Scooter
Reply #7135 on: August 17, 2017, 08:25:48 am
Some more pics

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7136 on: August 17, 2017, 01:29:54 pm
Funny thing with the bad battery, when I'd switch on the headlight the motor would die - even doing 25-50 mph down the road, it'd just cut out.  Never seen that before.  Also, there was a lot of jerkiness when accelerating.

My B5 did exactly that, but it was a symptom of the "dreaded" broken negative battery connector.  Not the small black ground wire, but the whole main connector strap, being held together by the heat-shrink insulation just enough to work without too much vibration, and without the current draw of the headlight...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7137 on: August 17, 2017, 09:49:20 pm
  Nice work Chilliman !
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Chilliman

• Scooter
Reply #7138 on: August 18, 2017, 07:00:32 am
I whacked a new Continental Conti GO 120/90 on the back.
Fouled on the chainguard but my wife fixed it.
Rides nicely and feels more firm on the bends.
Also, thanks for the compliments re the head work.
I'm an old bloke with around 35 years pure engine experience, mainly high performance eg. top fuel, blown alcohol, sprint cars, rally, Lycoming and Continental aviation engines, Bathurst 1000 etc.
We work on small engines these days like ride on mowers, chainsaws, RC motors.
BUT !! Now I have the Bullet to play with.
Bought a spare engine that head is going onto, with serious cams, Power Command V, bottom end balance, alloy con rod and a piston from a turbo Nissan engine

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7139 on: August 19, 2017, 12:37:04 am
+1
That port's looking great!

Finished second and final leg of my trip to Aurora.
Had planned to take the Electra for a SERIOUS shakedown, but my luck said otherwise.
The morning I left it refused to start. No time to do much troubleshooting, but it looks like the Start relay is bad.
Swapped everything over to the C5 and hit the road. Stayed in Fairplay last night at the Hand Hotel, western-themed, but really nice old place.
Had lunch today in Bailey at the Hog Heaven (YUM!!!!!!!!!!) Good BBQ!!!!!!!
Off to dinner with friends, then tomorrow a Memorial Ride for a buddy we lost in June to complications from Agent Orange.  :(
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.