Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855519 times)

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7005 on: April 30, 2017, 12:40:23 am
Put my 2012 C5 up for sale today. Going to be hard to see Scarlet go, but we got one last good ride in.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7006 on: April 30, 2017, 02:56:57 am
Finally figured I had my fuel tank leak fixed after doing a pressure test, changing the fuel line and the clamps. Got it insured and went for a quick ride. Found I'm still leaking fuel from somewhere. Another tear down and perhaps search for a newer tank. ????

When the fuel pump is running, the tank is not pressurised, in fact I would have thought it was the reverse, and that there is negative pressure inside the tank.  On the other hand, the fuel system gets pressurised to 42 PSI, so perhaps it is more likely your leak is downstream of the fuel pump?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:01:29 am by Blairio »

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #7007 on: April 30, 2017, 09:08:46 pm
Shouldn't it have a nuetral pressure. The tank cap should have a breather hole.
The pressure test was with the fuel removed and the tank sealed, pressurized and gauge tested.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #7008 on: April 30, 2017, 09:15:25 pm
I had put one of those Kisan Tech tail light/turn signal combiner/self-canceling thingummies on my bike a year ago, obtained from NfieldGear a while ago... Today I discovered that it has:
A.) prevented any latching of the turn signals, and
B.) prevented the brake light from lighting, regardless of whether or not I use the foot brake or hand brake.

So if I want to display any turn signal, I need to hold the turn signal switch over to whichever side I want to light up, which is kind of annoying when you also need to manually signal braking with your left hand down.

Looks like tomorrow is an electrical surgery day around here.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7009 on: May 01, 2017, 12:53:33 am
Shouldn't it have a nuetral pressure. The tank cap should have a breather hole.
The pressure test was with the fuel removed and the tank sealed, pressurized and gauge tested.

Yes, it *should* have neutral pressure, if the breather can compensate for the removal of the fuel.  Did you pressure test the tank on the bike or off? Perhaps if it was tested off the bike, then deflection in the mounting tabs when the tank is bolted into the frame is opening up a fissure?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7010 on: May 01, 2017, 01:08:32 am
Rigger

The very first thing to check is the tail/brake light bulb.

The OEM bulbs have a very short life and although the good ones you can buy at a auto parts store are much better, those bulbs live in a hazardous area.

The vibration from a big single like the RE can cause the entire rear fender to vibrate up and down rapidly at certain engine speeds.

As for the turn signals, maybe you should count your blessings?
The OEM signals on my 2011 G5 work like they are supposed to.
That is, if I push the switch to the right, the right bulbs start winking.  Likewise, the left  position turns on the left side.

The problem is, in order to get the damn thing to stop winking I have to push the button straight in.  If I push it in and to either side at the same time it just keeps on winking.

If I had to hold it in position to get it to keep winking, I could live with that.  It would also guarantee the signal will stop winking when I stop pushing.
As it is now, I have to look at the green light in the speedometer to see if it is still on.

Like most riders, this means there are times I ride for a long distance after I've turned before I realize it has been winking for a mile or two. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #7011 on: May 01, 2017, 01:08:36 pm
Taxed my B5 today, then set about re-aligning the back wheel.
I used a couple of house bricks and the sides of a ladder to give the alignment datum.
As I had aligned the chain with a laser device, I was a bit concerned that the wheel adjustment would alter the chain run to much.
I moved the left adjuster in by about 1/4", checked the chain and all seemed to be as before!
I have noticed that the right rear shock reservoir or whatever it is, is once again rubbing on the rear fender stay, looks like I need even more washers at the rear footpeg.
Went for a  teat ride around the Isle (only about 10 miles) and everything seems to be in order, right corners are a bit smoother so maybe the rear tyre was trying to take me off line.

All ready for some summer ride outs.......
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7012 on: May 02, 2017, 05:07:37 am
 The headlight coils in the alternator failed the other day on a *ahem* spirited ride.  Certainly we were outmatched on the straight-a-ways but the old girl OWNED the bends and made a very good show overall. I REplaced the alternator yesterday and rode it today.

The Unit lump is unarguably better but this old iron barrel seems blessed with a will of its own and has not yet ceased to amaze me.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #7013 on: May 02, 2017, 05:38:50 am
Finally dumped the old oil from my drain pan and found a big o-ring!  :-[ Doh!  :o Luckily, I only put about 50 miles on since the change.  Oil pressure gauge seemed fine. ??? I remember the inboard o ring behind the new filter was there. This must be the outboard one. A good lesson on always dumping the drain pan to see what's in the bottom! ;)

Was that spirited riding in the rain Ice, or did you somehow find dry pavement? We have just about had nothing but rain here in the NW this year.  :'( Looking forward to better weather soon.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7014 on: May 02, 2017, 04:56:20 pm

The problem is, in order to get the damn thing to stop winking I have to push the button straight in.  If I push it in and to either side at the same time it just keeps on winking.

If I had to hold it in position to get it to keep winking, I could live with that.  It would also guarantee the signal will stop winking when I stop pushing.
As it is now, I have to look at the green light in the speedometer to see if it is still on.

Like most riders, this means there are times I ride for a long distance after I've turned before I realize it has been winking for a mile or two. :(

I gotta kaveschun fer ya'  :)

First off I better say I rode for many many years (from the '50s to 2010) with no turn signals. Always used hand signals.

Why has no motorcycle ever had turn signals with two separate little buttons? As long as you press the button, the directional blinks. Let it go, it stops.

I am so habituated to hand signals that I still use them on the Enfield remembering only after the fact that I have blinkers. I just automatically stick my arm out.

The one big plus for blinkers is when you're waiting to turn Left at a 4-way stop light after hitting 1st gear.

I see bikes and cars all the time blinking away for mile after mile. Doesn't the blinking light or the buzzer (or the clicking) drive them mad?   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #7015 on: May 02, 2017, 05:02:41 pm

I see bikes and cars all the time blinking away for mile after mile. Doesn't the blinking light or the buzzer (or the clicking) drive them mad?   

The blinking light is not visible if I don't look down at the gauges, and why look down since the sound of the engine tells me how fast I'm going?   ;D  Sometimes I think I should install a buzzer to tell me that the turn signal's on, had one on the little CD100 I ran first down here, but that gets old quick.  Solution, for yours truly, has been that my thumb automatically hits the cancel button every few hundred yards or so, sometimes more often.  Still, that's not 100%. Sometimes a quick glance down reveals the blinking light is, well, blinking.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

firecaptp7

Reply #7016 on: May 02, 2017, 07:06:05 pm
“Why has no motorcycle ever had turn signals with two separate little buttons? As long as you press the button, the directional blinks. Let it go, it stops.”

It’s been a few years so I may be mistaken. But I believe at the advent of turn signals on motorcycles Harley Davidsons had a button on each side of the bars that worked exactly like that?

Hand signals?

As I’ve said before … I use both the turn signals AND old fashioned hand signals. Drivers seem to respond better to the hand signals. Most drivers on the road today began driving after hand signals fell by the wayside and probably wonder what in the hell is that crazy guy doing?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7017 on: May 02, 2017, 11:02:40 pm

Most drivers on the road today began driving after hand signals fell by the wayside and probably wonder what in the hell is that crazy guy doing?

I'm sure you are right about that.

Somehow I can hear the young passenger in the car behind me saying to the driver,

"Hey!  Look up from your iPhone and check that out.
That guy on the motorcycle ahead of us is pointing at his head with his left hand!  I wonder what that is all about?"

"I don't know.  Maybe he has a headache?
I've never figured out those motorcycle types.  I mean, how can you check out your messages on your phone if you have to keep your hands on the handlebars and answering your messages would be just about impossible!"
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7018 on: May 03, 2017, 12:47:33 am
   Back to subject... :)
   Put 36 miles on the clock this afternoon to check out my exhaust leak repair on the AVL. No evidence of leakage yet, so hope it's good to go. Won't be able to put any more miles on it until next week, so...
   That was a WINDY 36 miles, too. Crosswind was bad enough I kept it down to 65mph. Headwind just as bad.  >:(
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7019 on: May 03, 2017, 02:19:12 am
            I gotta kaveschun fer ya'  :)

Why has no motorcycle ever had turn signals with two separate little buttons? As long as you press the button, the directional blinks. Let it go, it stops.

My buddy had a Buell Lightning,I believe.  And it had two separate buttons for the turn signals.  If I remember right, it would blink for 5 seconds after you let off the button too.