Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855334 times)

fatfatboy

• Scooter
Reply #6945 on: March 28, 2017, 02:07:57 am
Put some Musette bags to Rubi today.

I had these little quick clips laying around that make it so I can take the backs off easily for service work.

The straps go down behind the lower fender support and connects via the clip to the D-Ring so that the bags don't flap in the breeze.

Now I can carry my coffee to work.  :)
There once was a biker named Double-Fat
Who rode all over like a cafeined gnat.
When he once tried some Frenchy booze,
His skills improved the more he wooz'd-
And he was heard to mumble, "Dood- that's where it's AT!"
Uncle Ernie-4-24-2011

Frank Tabor

• Scooter
  • 2 wheels to the most beautiful souls on earth
Reply #6946 on: March 28, 2017, 05:13:35 pm
Put some Musette bags to Rubi today.

I had these little quick clips laying around that make it so I can take the backs off easily for service work.

The straps go down behind the lower fender support and connects via the clip to the D-Ring so that the bags don't flap in the breeze.

Now I can carry my coffee to work.  :)

Great use of those tarp clips. Good ideas!
2016 Royal Enfield C5
2009 Stella 2T manual
2013 Stella 4T manual
1968 Sears Puch 250
2013 Jawa 350
FZ 07
ST 1100
R 1100 GT

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #6947 on: March 28, 2017, 06:19:43 pm
Aired the tires, washed and waxed, lubed the chain - all in preparation for a jaunt through the Andes. 
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6948 on: March 29, 2017, 01:59:56 am
Installed a new, lower solo seat.

Too bad I can't find a pillion that matches a bit better.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6949 on: March 29, 2017, 10:42:54 pm
Nice looking seat heloego!

Removed the screen I installed just after Christmas. We just didn't gel. Some days were better than others but I just couldn't get it in the optimal position.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6950 on: March 30, 2017, 04:14:07 am
A few years back I fitted a large screen my brother gave me.  He found it in his attic, having stuck the it up there in the mid - 90's. it worked incredibly well, and I only took it off last summer because I fancied a leaner look on the bike.

Anyway, a few weeks back I thought I would split the difference, and purchased a more modest screen from Hitchcocks.

200312   WINDSHIELD COMPLETE WITH FIXING KIT, SMALL

This looks neater,  and works pretty well at town speeds, but seems to direct the wind straight up my nostrils (open face helmet) when travelling faster.  I guess there is no substitute for size.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6951 on: March 30, 2017, 09:44:05 am
Tried adding different lengths of old stainless steel tubing to change the volume of the exhaust system
until I found one piece which made a noticeable difference to how the bike performed and left it in place. 

Edit :- got the calculator out and an external tube some 30mm shorter would have similar volume and would look much better
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:26:01 pm by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6952 on: March 30, 2017, 03:39:47 pm
From CW: "Nice looking seat heloego!"

Thanks!
   Not bad for $65 including shipping. Solid, too.  ;D
   Definitely looks and feels good, gets my butt down about 1.5" so my feet are flat on-ground, but won't get to check the ride until later today or tomorrow. Hoping the foam will soften up slightly over time and I'm curious just how it would treat my butt for another round trip to  Aurora from Albuquerque.  ???
   I'll report later how comfy it is, as I expect to do another 50 miles today or tomorrow.
'12 C5 Classic

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #6953 on: March 30, 2017, 04:33:10 pm
Blairio: Bike looks great. I like the bigger windshield,as I dont like wind in my face!
Lynn

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6954 on: March 30, 2017, 08:33:15 pm
That's the fella I've got Blairio.

I'd be interested to see your setup, just to see if I had mine installed differently. Might have another crack at it.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6955 on: March 31, 2017, 03:02:47 am
   Up to 217 miles on the Electra, 47 of that this morning. The new seat is an excellent compromise for me between the Cobra butt killer and the Lycette style.  ;D
   Even with the drop in seat height still picking up a bit of wind on the chest due to the fly screen, but considered negligible. This is after all intended to be a sportier ride than the C5.  ;)

'12 C5 Classic

fatfatboy

• Scooter
Reply #6956 on: April 01, 2017, 02:23:20 am
 I got Hitchcocks fuel cap conversion in the mail today. Took just a few minutes to get it installed.

I like it the way it looks over the stock one.

Now if it would stop raining long enough I may actually get out and test it on the road.

There once was a biker named Double-Fat
Who rode all over like a cafeined gnat.
When he once tried some Frenchy booze,
His skills improved the more he wooz'd-
And he was heard to mumble, "Dood- that's where it's AT!"
Uncle Ernie-4-24-2011

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6957 on: April 01, 2017, 06:14:32 am
That's the fella I've got Blairio.

I'd be interested to see your setup, just to see if I had mine installed differently. Might have another crack at it.

CW,

The original mounting for the big screen comprised just two handlebar clamps. I found this insufficient, leaving the screen bobbing about happily in any breeze.  I changed things so that the screen then attached to the handlebars with 4 clamps and two struts, forming 'triangles' with the vertical struts that span the mounting points on the perspex screen.  Does that make sense?  Hopefully the (slightly blurred) photo of the handlebar mounts will give you the idea. To source the required new struts and mounting brackets I simply bought two cheap rear view mirror mounting kits.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6958 on: April 04, 2017, 05:45:37 am
On Saturday I took my Electra for a run from Glasgow to Glencoe to visit pals there overnight.  The scenery is marvellous  - world class - and the bike ran faultlessly, easily spinning up to 75mph at one point to overtake traffic. The road gets pretty mountainous in places, but the bike never felt short of power, and the return journey has put to bed any niggling concerns about reliability I had after the bike's recent auto-decompressor surgery.

When I replaced the auto decompressor pin, I also replaced the small torsion spring which holds the decompressor open until a certain rpm is reached. The new spring is slightly stronger than the old one, with the result that I can hear the decompressor "tack-tack" as I switch the ignition off and the engine spins down. Not a problem, but interesting that the new spring is sufficiently different from the old one to introduce this.

The Glencoe region is stunning, and highly recommended for anyone visiting Scotland.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6959 on: April 04, 2017, 09:08:10 am
Heading up to applecross next month on my c5, camping with some friends.
I can get 75 with a tailwind, just. That's GPS mph as the speedo is very optimistic reading about 10 mph fast. All those days I thought I was cruising at 60 was really 50.
Off route, recalculate?