Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855393 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6870 on: February 15, 2017, 10:42:46 pm
Have you checked the condition of your air filter?  It sounds like it is partially plugged up.

Also, riding at very high altitudes will greatly reduce your bikes horsepower but when I was riding at elevations of 8500 feet (2592 meters), speeds up to 65 mph were easily done if the riding was on a flat stretch of road.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #6871 on: February 16, 2017, 11:43:52 pm
Have you checked the condition of your air filter?  It sounds like it is partially plugged up.

Also, riding at very high altitudes will greatly reduce your bikes horsepower but when I was riding at elevations of 8500 feet (2592 meters), speeds up to 65 mph were easily done if the riding was on a flat stretch of road.

I haven't, yet.  Still has the original filter so that may be a part of it.  Need to see if they can get a new one in. RE Colombia hasn't been very good about getting parts to our local dealer.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Frank Tabor

• Scooter
  • 2 wheels to the most beautiful souls on earth
Reply #6872 on: February 17, 2017, 12:40:54 am
I haven't, yet.  Still has the original filter so that may be a part of it.  Need to see if they can get a new one in. RE Colombia hasn't been very good about getting parts to our local dealer.

The C5 filter looks pretty generic. I wouldn't be surprised if you could take it to a car parts store and find something that would fit in the housing.
2016 Royal Enfield C5
2009 Stella 2T manual
2013 Stella 4T manual
1968 Sears Puch 250
2013 Jawa 350
FZ 07
ST 1100
R 1100 GT

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #6873 on: February 17, 2017, 12:59:56 am
Took it up the Ortega highway for a little engine exercise and to survey damage from recent floods.  Highway has been closed for the last three weeks.  AND any info on air filters that fit the C-5 obtainable from auto parts stores would be appreciated.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6874 on: February 17, 2017, 04:01:36 am
Good luck on finding one.

I've checked a number of different company catalogs which show the diameters and height of their filters and have yet to find one that would be comparable in size.
There are several that are either smaller in diameter or shorter but IMO, although the smaller filters might work on a 350cc bike, those would not allow the airflow the big 500cc engine needs.

Then their is the K&N filter.  Some like them.  I don't.
Mine reduced the fuel economy and power on my 2011 G5.  That's why I went back to using a factory filter.

For those interested, the OEM filter is 4 5/8" (4.62", 117mm) outside diameter, 3" (3.0", 76mm) inside diameter and 3" (3.0", 76mm) tall from sealing surface to sealing surface.

The airflow on the filter for the B, C and G model RE's is from the inside towards the outside.  If an attempt to blow the dirt out of the filter is being made by using compressed air, blow from the outside, thru the filter material towards the inside.

These filters cannot be washed to clean them.  Doing so will destroy the paper filter element.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6875 on: February 17, 2017, 04:25:17 pm
Arizoni is spot on IMHO.

I opted to reclaim the tool box on my C5, which eliminates the OEM air filter arrangement, and sprung for the ACE cannister which uses a paper "Performance Air Filter" easily replaced by one from the local auto parts store. It's slightly smaller in diameter than the OEM filter, so not usable in the OEM air box config.

The Electra was brought home with a pod filter similar to the K&N. The problem with K&N and similar filters is that they must be oiled to be effective, and it's almost an art to get them oiled properly. In any case the trade-off IMHO is increased fuel consumption for sporty good looks.
   One of the previous owners had removed the innards of the air box. Rather than clean the existing filter or go with another pod I have gone with the "Performance Air Filter" PN 47901 with a 2" Triumph fork gaiter as plenum to the 32mm Mikuni carb.

This won't help you find a direct replacement for your filter, but may give you a relatively cheap viable option.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

fatfatboy

• Scooter
Reply #6876 on: February 18, 2017, 01:46:30 am
 Just took her for a sunset ride.

There once was a biker named Double-Fat
Who rode all over like a cafeined gnat.
When he once tried some Frenchy booze,
His skills improved the more he wooz'd-
And he was heard to mumble, "Dood- that's where it's AT!"
Uncle Ernie-4-24-2011

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6877 on: February 18, 2017, 09:50:55 am
Topped up the battery fluid with almost 100cc of distilled water  :(

Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #6878 on: February 18, 2017, 10:36:09 am
change it for a gel type battery, you won't regret it!
however you will hate the liquid battery when it decides to spit acid all over your frame! (mine did)
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6879 on: February 18, 2017, 12:36:14 pm
Just took her for a sunset ride.

Nice!  Your riding companion looks a lot like the guy who rides alongside me on my morning commute - on the clear days, anyway!  ;)  I've wanted to get a video of my shadow riding along, but I don't have the ability to do it effectively and safely...

firecaptp7

Reply #6880 on: February 18, 2017, 02:00:16 pm
Universal moto pic ....

fatfatboy

• Scooter
Reply #6881 on: February 18, 2017, 03:34:28 pm
Universal moto pic ....

I hope your companion is a better rider than mine. He's kinda slow.
I had to stop the bike and do a u-turn to get a photo of him. ;)
Uncle Ernie-4-24-2011

fatfatboy

• Scooter
Reply #6882 on: February 18, 2017, 03:37:41 pm
I hope your companion is a better rider than mine. He's kinda slow.
I had to stop the bike and do a u-turn to get a photo of him. ;)

Superb selfie.
Uncle Ernie-4-24-2011

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6883 on: February 19, 2017, 08:50:47 pm
More tweaking of the windshield.

Lowered to stop from first fit some sever buffering but was not keen on the angle sloping so far back, it made riding feel cramped.

So a while ago, I'd moved the bars so the dots aligned on the bars and the clamp on the basis that that was there they were supposed to be, and to bring the controls a bit closer.

But to get the angle more in line with the forks and unable to move the clamps to position that would work and not get involved with cables in the way, I decided to move the bars upwards and forwards.

Must have only moved roughly 1mm (2mm at best, or a 'dots' width at worst). Wow, bike felt more 'flickable'. Buffering felt at the top of the helmet at about 60mph so might need a little more of a tweak, but it does take a lot of the chest.

I remember wildbills review of the small flyscreen he'd fitted, but didn't fancy spending more for less (size).

There really ought to be some kind of test initiative for screens. Perhaps I ought to start one. I swear aftermarket screen sales boom because people spend a small fortune in trying to get the right one. Unless you're able to sell them off successfully of course. But you never know, they might come in handy for that next bike haha.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6884 on: February 20, 2017, 09:26:32 am
Tested out my new eBay hydraulic bike bench, I set the cam backlash (sounds much better now)   ,  checked the clutch basket and crankshaft fasteners , clutch was loose ,crankshaft was ok , rocker tower bolts were also ok but had to come out to remove the push rods before setting the backlash. New O ring on oil pump outlet,  new oil filter and full synthetic oil .  The bike bench made such a difference, I am getting to old for bending down and working on my knees , it was a pleasure to sit on a chair with castor wheels and freely move around the bike at the right working height.
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)