Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855467 times)

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #6780 on: October 30, 2016, 01:20:51 am
That's right rub it in...I hates you.   :(  Here that 15-20 is Fahrenheit and my gas bill shows it.  :-[

I'm from Florida and snow looks pretty on a post card but after the first time I was snowed in I decided it was for the birds.  :P

Hey, I can always ride west about 15 miles and be clear up to 32* - centigrade... ;D  Personally, I prefer it up here in Coffee Country to down there in sugar cane country. Much better temps!
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6781 on: November 06, 2016, 03:09:47 am
   Spent awhile giving the Electra X more love. Front End all done!

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/Heloego24/library/Bikes/Electra%20AVL?sort=3&page=1

Dyna Beads on the way. I'll change out the rear Skidmaster for a K70, then add the Dyna beads to both.
   The HF Tire Changer and Motorcycle Accessory work out very nicely!  ;D

Still to do: Rear tire, Tank 3D decals, engine rings, thermal coatings for the head and barrel, polish all covers, install Goldstar exhaust system, and play with carb(s).
   I think I'm in love again. And the missus knows it.  8)

Just thought I'd mention...
   I installed a stainless brake hose kit and bleeding the system yesterday was a real PITA. I was using my vacuum system to do it and never could get the system to bleed properly. By the end of the evening I just kept recycling nice clean fluid. :o
  So I canned the vacuum setup and after a thorough cleaning and fill of the caliper mounted it, loosened the hose at the caliper banjo and cycled fluid through the reservoir until I was getting only fluid at the banjo. Snugged her up and began pumping the brake handle watching bubbles rise out of the piston relief and filler holes.
   Lo and behold! Within 5 minutes I was getting pressure and a minute later my brake is done!
   Don't know why I didn't think of it last night.  :o
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:28:14 am by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #6782 on: November 10, 2016, 05:36:14 pm
Pulled gas tank and checked clearances on mounting tabs.

I have a 2015 C5 with the rubber grommet / bushing on the frame in front with a through bolt.  There was a 1/32" gap (both sides added together) between the tank flanges and bushing. That seemed perfect to me. 

The rear mount has the two welded brackets extending down to the frame where you find a tube welded horizontally for the through bolt. That, combined with the stock head steady made a snug fit for the tank brackets to slide over leaving no gap to shim. 

The brackets are sort of a "Z" shape which I believe, is to help in case there is a gap and they need to flex a little without stressing the welds, which are all perfect machine welds.

So, although many have experienced broken tank brackets due to poor fit in the past, I believe that Royal Enfield has solved that problem, at least on my 2015 C5 Chrome with an original equiptment, earlier production tank. :)  (We, on this forum also know of one 2015 Classic 500, non-chrome, with the newer style tank.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:46:35 pm by Narada »
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #6783 on: November 11, 2016, 04:38:47 am
I installed a Trail Tech TTO mini tach & hour meter on my 2013 Classic Chrome t'day and I find it dandy for checkin' revs at steady speeds. The guage is dead simple to install and does not take up much space when mounted.

The unit is self powered by a small, wrist watch type lithium battery that has long life. (My amigo's Electra has gone 4+ years with the TTO without swapping out the battery.) :o  Gotta love it.

The hour meter function is on full time, but draws so little juice that battery life is great. The tach function of the unit is powered by the inductive pick up which is merely accomplished by shortening the one wire from the guage for best position and coiling the red inner wire from the unit around the spark plug lead.

Leave at least 8" of inner red wire for the lead that wraps around the HT lead. A bit of wire trimmin' and fiddling around nets a good result. ;)

Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #6784 on: November 11, 2016, 04:49:38 am
I try to do as little as possible and just enjoy riding.  Today had an enjoyable 104 mile ride over my favorite ride, Ortega Hwy, in some in wonderful 90 degree weather here in So. Cal.   --- Got home, oiled my chain and took a nap . Oh Yes,  Happy Birthday Marine Corp !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6785 on: November 11, 2016, 01:30:43 pm
Oh Yes,  Happy Birthday Marine Corp !

Ditto ++
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6786 on: November 11, 2016, 05:41:02 pm
Fitted a new NGK plug before today's ride. The first one had done well over 14,000 miles without a problem.
Hopefully its replacement will be just as trouble free.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #6787 on: November 11, 2016, 07:54:02 pm
Sadly, I washed, waxed and winterized the C-5 today as it's starting to cool down here fast. BUT It's been the latest in the year I've been able to safely ride after I moved to the mid-west.

The Versys is next but I can ride it a bit deeper in the fall as it's has both a wind shield and heated grips.

The Iron Barrel is still a work in progress and as such I have it to tinker with all winter...or at least until it gets too cold in the unheated garage for me to deal with. Of course I can drag parts inside to clean and work on them!  ;)
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6788 on: November 12, 2016, 01:32:42 am
Finished up with the frame stuff on the ElectraX today, installing the rear wheel with its nice new K70, then got started on the jug. Head off and removed rockers. Checked cylinder barrel. No scarring noted and the cross-hatching still looks good after 5500 miles so I think I'll leave the rings alone. Had good compression before I started. Cylinder top and head need a good cleaning, though. Pics in the AVL Section.
'12 C5 Classic

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6789 on: November 15, 2016, 11:19:54 am
Strapped on my Nelson Riggs water proof bag, loaded with the gear needed for the next week's worth of perambulating through the Andes and the Eastern Plains of Coffee Country. Lubed the chain and checked tire inflation. Y'all behave yourselves.  I'll be posting (hopefully) occasional unedited cell phone video uploads via the Andean Rambler youtube channel, for those interested in seeing different types of country from what you usually ride through.  Am also taking the GoPro, but no telling when I'll have time or opportunity to edit and publish.
Paul

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6790 on: November 15, 2016, 11:07:07 pm
   Time to change out the rear tire. 10,545 miles on the AM26's! Front tire suddenly also stopped holding air. Valve base had no protective ring (from the factory!) causing the stem to wear prematurely. While I had the tube out during a the change also noted a cut in the side wall.  >:(
   Sooooo... New Tires (K-70s), rim strips, and went ahead and ordered up a couple of tubes so I can always have spares.
   BTW, the Harbor Freight Tire Changer with Motorcycle Tire Attachment works pretty good.
   With the two on the Electra this will make 4 tire changes in less than a month.  8)
'12 C5 Classic

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6791 on: November 24, 2016, 01:20:19 pm
Unloaded the bike this morning.  Arrived last night after 8 days on the road.  The last three hours were particularly draining as I road over La Linea pass in the midst of some of the worst traffic I've seen on that route, mostly trucks and buses, very few cars.  Had a semi crowd me at the toll booth (motorcycles have a special path as we don't pay toll) and he ran his rear tire so close to my bike he took off the foot pegs (I'd NO place to go).  Just glad no greater damage was done (especially to the rider - that could have turned out way worse!)  Had to ride the past 60 miles or so using the shifter for a footpeg.  Got home, parked the bike on the sidestand (the center stand also got mangled), took a shower and hit the sack.  Good to be back in my own bed once more!  This morning unloaded and am doing laundry - the bike will have to wait 'til tomorrow as can't get it to the dealer due to local idiotic law that deprives me of its use one day a  week "for the planet".

2,374 km over 8 days at 51 kmh average speed over some of the most scenic roads in Colombia.  Various videos on the Andean Rambler youtube channel for the curious.
Paul

Frank Tabor

• Scooter
  • 2 wheels to the most beautiful souls on earth
Reply #6792 on: November 24, 2016, 10:18:56 pm
Unloaded the bike this morning.  Arrived last night after 8 days on the road.  The last three hours were particularly draining as I road over La Linea pass in the midst of some of the worst traffic I've seen on that route, mostly trucks and buses, very few cars.  Had a semi crowd me at the toll booth (motorcycles have a special path as we don't pay toll) and he ran his rear tire so close to my bike he took off the foot pegs (I'd NO place to go).  Just glad no greater damage was done (especially to the rider - that could have turned out way worse!)  Had to ride the past 60 miles or so using the shifter for a footpeg.  Got home, parked the bike on the sidestand (the center stand also got mangled), took a shower and hit the sack.  Good to be back in my own bed once more!  This morning unloaded and am doing laundry - the bike will have to wait 'til tomorrow as can't get it to the dealer due to local idiotic law that deprives me of its use one day a  week "for the planet".

2,374 km over 8 days at 51 kmh average speed over some of the most scenic roads in Colombia.  Various videos on the Andean Rambler youtube channel for the curious.

Where do you live AmBra? I've ridden through Columbia twice en route to Ushuaia from Omaha, NE. Even after being warned off the Farc area by the Federal Soldiers, I had wonderful experiences with the people of Columbia.
2016 Royal Enfield C5
2009 Stella 2T manual
2013 Stella 4T manual
1968 Sears Puch 250
2013 Jawa 350
FZ 07
ST 1100
R 1100 GT

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6793 on: November 25, 2016, 12:48:17 am
Where do you live AmBra? I've ridden through Columbia twice en route to Ushuaia from Omaha, NE. Even after being warned off the Farc area by the Federal Soldiers, I had wonderful experiences with the people of Columbia.

I live in the heart of Coffee Country. Pereira, Risaralda is right in the middle of the so called "golden triangle" (Medellin, Cali, Bogotá) and is part of one of the most beautiful regions of Colombia.  My recent ride was through parts of Risaralda, Quindío, Tolima, Cundinamarca, Meta, Casanare, Boyacá and Santander. Boyacá has some spectacular high altitude country to ride through. Proper warm gear is a must.  Omaha to Ushuaia sounds like quite an adventure.  How long did it take you? What did you ride?
Paul

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #6794 on: November 25, 2016, 01:55:32 am
I live in the heart of Coffee Country.

Coffee County?!? I'll take 10 pounds of beans please!  ;)

I'd love to ride somewhere like you are but being more or less poor I have to work for a living.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel