Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855392 times)

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6765 on: October 13, 2016, 05:58:03 pm
Went out for what turned out to be a 150mile jaunt today and the Odo clicked over to 4334 as I pulled in to fill up the tank at my local petrol station. I didn't bother putting the ear plugs back in and whilst pulling away I heard this horrible graunching noise emanating from this quality Indian bearing  ::)

Fortunately I have another in my odds'nsods bin.  Unfortunately it probably came off the same production line  >:(

oops. another 'minor' follow up problem concerning the rear wheel. The replacement rear wheel bearings have now covered over 10,000 miles but I recently found some new bearing play. 
I took the rear wheel out and the bearing that sits on the drive side of the rear wheel fell out accompanied by some aluminium dust where it had been turning in it's housing. Definitely a new one for me!  The new bearing definitely went in tight and square at the time it was fitted it has no discernible play or roughness.
It's since been refitted with Loctite bearing retainer and is very solid in the housing.

Any theories as to the cause? 
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6766 on: October 17, 2016, 03:32:01 pm
Yesterday, I adjusted the air/fuel mixture to use less fuel. So far, she seems to be running a bit smoother. Time will tell though and I did bring the required tools with me to adjust again if needed.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6767 on: October 18, 2016, 02:07:03 am
Went for my first long ride since installing the Amal carb conversion. I used a new plug. It ran great, but ran out of gas at about 170+ miles. I mean completely out. I expected this and had an extra gallon in my backpack. It is definitely burning more gas than before. The plug looks about right, nice dark tan instead of the VERY light tan it was before. That surprised me, with the new EFI pipe and the baffle removed and the low restriction cone filter that came with the kit, I expected it to be lean. Without the baffle, it's almost a straight pipe, you can see right through it, looks like some kind of screen in there. Sound level is acceptable at cruising speed (not as loud as many Harleys around here) and it really hammers when you open up the throttle. I wear ear plugs and a full face helmet, and don't whack the throttle wide open in town. Overall I am very pleased with this kit. I'm not really concerned about gas mileage, it's the fun factor I like, and that has definitely gotten much better.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6768 on: October 18, 2016, 08:52:45 pm
Had one of the main stand springs snap. luckily right outside my door luckily.

Could go old school and just tie it up for now, but ordered two. May as well replace the other whilst I'm at it.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6769 on: October 19, 2016, 05:51:49 am
I find it absolutely amazing at the the number of things that can break on a RE that do not break on other bikes.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #6770 on: October 20, 2016, 05:01:11 am
Went out for about an hour long ride.  Got rained on, loved it. It was long overdue. :)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6771 on: October 20, 2016, 02:44:01 pm
Working this week, thus a slow-down on the ElectraX AVL project. Did get to ride some this break, and finally got the tank and casquette painted, waxed. Casquette now mounted on the steering head with speedo, Ammeter, and ignition switch, and awaiting handlebars and 7" headlight install.  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

lomax

• Scooter
Reply #6772 on: October 24, 2016, 12:53:08 am
Got out in the dirt a little, If you can call these roads dirt.  ::)
It sure is no dirt bike but putting along the dirt roads is a blast.

Marc
84 R100RS LE,14 Ducati MTSGT,14 Hyperstrada, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 13 TR650, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 01 200EXC, 15 RE Classic Chrome https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6773 on: October 24, 2016, 05:41:07 pm
Changed engine oil and filter.
Removed fuel pump and cleaned out a lot of metal swarf found against the large O ring, then placed a neodymium magnet on the underside of the tank to keep any future debris away from the fuel pump.
Removed the (working) low fuel sensor unit and happy to see it was all still there :)
Checked rocker block bolts, all still tight :)
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6774 on: October 26, 2016, 09:24:00 pm
Fitted main stand springs on weekend.

Today adjusted throttle cable. Much smoother with so little free play. Colour me surprised.

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #6775 on: October 27, 2016, 04:39:28 am
Had a nice little 160 mile ride to have lunch with some fellow riders.  Bikes included two Triumph Thruxtons, one BMW RT, one Norton 850 Commando, one Bultaco Metrella and my Enfield C5.  The ride encompassed a very wide variety of dips, turns, hills, straights, and even a bit of freeway.  Great California weather and good food.  The Enfield and the Bultaco were the conversation starters at the rest stops.  Too much fun !

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #6776 on: October 29, 2016, 08:57:30 pm
mourned the temporary loss of my beloved B5 .....  its in storage for the winter.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #6777 on: October 29, 2016, 09:57:24 pm
mourned the temporary loss of my beloved B5 .....  its in storage for the winter.

That sad day is heading my way soon. So I took the C-5 out for about a hundred mile ride today for tomorrow who knows?
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #6778 on: October 30, 2016, 01:16:33 am
That sad day is heading my way soon. So I took the C-5 out for about a hundred mile ride today for tomorrow who knows?

Winter here between the Equator and the Canal can be brutal, temps between 15-20 degrees, occasional rain.  Oh, yeah.  That'd be centigrade, not Fahrenheit.  ;D

Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #6779 on: October 30, 2016, 01:43:03 am
Winter here between the Equator and the Canal can be brutal, temps between 15-20 degrees, occasional rain.  Oh, yeah.  That'd be centigrade, not Fahrenheit.  ;D

That's right rub it in...I hates you.   :(  Here that 15-20 is Fahrenheit and my gas bill shows it.  :-[

I'm from Florida and snow looks pretty on a post card but after the first time I was snowed in I decided it was for the birds.  :P
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel