Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855377 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6300 on: March 06, 2016, 01:15:26 am
just did the 2nd oil and filter change on the blue c5 with a total of 300 miles on the clock. took it for a 20 mile run and just waiting a while to check it out for any leaks from the 4 oil outlets. after that its good riding for another 300 miles till I drop it again.
oil nice and clean  with no rubbish so that's a good sign  ;D

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6301 on: March 06, 2016, 06:19:19 pm
Removed the  bi-starter cable  :o

My bike has been starting problem free without it several times over this passing winter at temps going down to -3*C which is my personal limit for taking the bike out for a leisure ride.
It gives the clutch cable a little more freedom through the nacelle and this can be felt every time the clutch lever is pulled. When my clutch fingers start to get cold next time out in similar temperatures I know this little bonus will be more than welcome.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6302 on: March 07, 2016, 05:58:43 pm
Swapped the oil out at just over 6,000 miles and fitted an LED bulb inside the main unit to match the two already above it.

Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #6303 on: March 07, 2016, 09:15:59 pm
Very nice! My 7inch headlight made a big difference. Do you like the led bulb?  Rode my b5 40 miles in 35degrees,some sun. Have to ride when I can!
Lynn

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6304 on: March 07, 2016, 09:41:13 pm
Well it certainly doesn't look as 'period' as the yellow glow given off by the standard Tungsten bulbs but I definitely believe it makes things more noticeable in traffic.
I replaced the other two BA9s bulbs a little while back and kept thinking it looked odd with a different colour light output from the main unit.
Now I have three of a kind.  ;)

These particular bulbs have 5 SMDs. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:01:13 pm by portisheadric »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6305 on: March 08, 2016, 01:38:18 am
Went for a ride on Mjolnir ......  WOW - such an improvement in torque.....  GHG and ScooterBob have found the sweet-spot for modification of the UCE engine.   I'm likin' it.   AND it is now (finally) freeway competent !

Quool !  You are not getting away THAT easy Grem.   I have not ran that piston without hot rod cams.  How is it ?  Better bottom end, better top end ? ... mid range, passing ability and etc. ?  What plug are you using with the HIGH Corn-pression... an 8 ?  Fuel ?   Any ping-age ?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #6306 on: March 08, 2016, 07:53:20 pm

Quool !  You are not getting away THAT easy Grem.   I have not ran that piston without hot rod cams.  How is it ?  Better bottom end, better top end ? ... mid range, passing ability and etc. ?  What plug are you using with the HIGH Corn-pression... an 8 ?  Fuel ?   Any ping-age ?

be fair now .....  I've only got 60 miles on it. the first 50 were light short trips in traffic around the neighbourhood.   I'm running 93 octane non-ox fuel and an NGK 8.  I took it on 2 short jaunts of 4 miles each up and back on the freeway  (with a lunch break between).

initial impression:

low range still as strong (or maybe a touch stronger) than stock.
freaking stump pulling midrange torque.
still runs out of breath on the high end, but, getting there is much quicker .....  might consider an additional tooth on the front sprocket.

kinda like a diesel engine.

NO detectable ping.
the thump is epic.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6307 on: March 09, 2016, 02:28:25 am
be fair now .....  I've only got 60 miles on it. the first 50 were light short trips in traffic around the neighbourhood.   I'm running 93 octane non-ox fuel and an NGK 8.  I took it on 2 short jaunts of 4 miles each up and back on the freeway  (with a lunch break between).

initial impression:

low range still as strong (or maybe a touch stronger) than stock.
freaking stump pulling midrange torque.
still runs out of breath on the high end, but, getting there is much quicker .....  might consider an additional tooth on the front sprocket.

kinda like a diesel engine.

NO detectable ping.
the thump is epic.

LOL !     Yup I hear ya, your right see how it goes as the weather gets better for riding. ;)

Anyways, sounds good so far.  Also, the same as what I found back when I was running the same compression ratio WITH the stock cams.  The difference at the time was the chamber shape and volume with the flat top AVL.   And, we were looking for the same behavior with the Dome and the stock chamber.   It should be very close and perhaps flow a bit better, and it sounds like it is.  The running out of breath in the top end... as you know I'm sure. Is a combination of the stock cams, the intake is probably a bit restrictive, the header could be a little bigger and the silencer a bit more open. THEN... it would hit you in the ass in the top end when you crack it open, and you would be hard pressed to run out of throttle up there.  ;D   But good stuff,  I say play with it and get it were you want it.   I have run a 20 tooth and an 18 to good effect in your configuration.   Yeah, I think the 19 would be fun to try.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6308 on: March 09, 2016, 03:38:17 am
 Assuming one wanted to take a stab at port and polish to improve the flow, what is the next size larger throttle body that will bolt on and what bike do we salvage it from ?
 ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6309 on: March 10, 2016, 02:08:47 am
Assuming one wanted to take a stab at port and polish to improve the flow, what is the next size larger throttle body that will bolt on and what bike do we salvage it from ?
 ;)

Michael.. Brother... would you be referring to that cookie cutter , pre-made cafe racer GT thang ?!  And, it's ... It's.. bucket sized TB ?!    Hehehehehehe  ;)   NO... I think with the stock ( pretty narrow) rev range, or even a bit north of that stock rev range, the stock UCE 500 TB is good.   Sure, you'll get more volume ... but at a slower speed.  And you will likely, ONLY feel an improvement in the top end, and when ringing it's neck !  My humble opinion, from us working and tuning on this 500 cc motor for quite a long time now.... is that speed, velocity and time BEAT volume.  Unless that is, IF you want to rev it to the moon and stay up there... and Race ?  Throw some money at that bottom end to !  :o  When that stock intake cam opens that valve with the 34 mm GT TB, it will be at a slower rate and there will also be no help from the stock exhaust cam profile with pulling in the next incoming charge of react-able mix... IMHO anyways. Do the port and and polishing and keep the stock TB.  When I said intake, I meant to free it up and or lengthen it. 

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6310 on: March 10, 2016, 04:34:24 am
 I asked out of curiosity only and in reference to the 500.
 The skunk works department of the Mad Science lab currently booked solid with projects,,for now.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:43:42 am by Ice »

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6311 on: March 10, 2016, 07:25:30 pm
.................The skunk works department of the Mad Science lab currently booked solid with projects,,for now.

HA HA .....  I know what you mean .....  know anybody that wants a moderately used BMW R1200RT-P  (police bike) ?

single seat with tail box ......  would make a great big-boy cafe !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6312 on: March 10, 2016, 08:17:07 pm
HA HA .....  I know what you mean .....  know anybody that wants a moderately used BMW R1200RT-P  (police bike) ?

How much and where is it located?
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6313 on: March 10, 2016, 10:53:03 pm
I found a 6 1/2 inch headlamp lense with promise ......  Now I need to find or fab an adapter .....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6314 on: March 12, 2016, 08:06:49 am

My brother.
He is absolutely nuts about those and is actively interested in another.
Please PM me the details and I'll pas it to him straight away.