Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855269 times)

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #6120 on: December 14, 2015, 01:18:42 am
My dilemma with the C5 spacing---I took the wheel off to install the K70 on the front.  Should have taken pictures.  I could have sworn that the pictured spacer came off of the front axle on the speedo side.  It doesn't ! -- The spacer on the brake side fits fine.  These are the ONLY spacers in the wheel.  It looks like there should be a spacer between the hub and the speedo drive.  There isn't.  The spacer pictured is too big to fit.  I have installed the axle to butt against the speedo drive and tightened the pinch bolt.  I have tightened the axle nut with the nylock insert to hold everything in place.  I have never had the axle out in 8000 miles and have had no problems.  Driving me NUTS --The new plan is to make spacers to fit between the hub and speedo drive. Then make one to fit between the speedo drive and the right fork.  Gaining on it, but slowly.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6121 on: December 14, 2015, 01:38:35 am
   That shouldered spacer goes on the brake side... in between the fork and the hub, with the small shoulder facing into the hub.  The none shouldered spacer goes on the speedo drive side, in between the speedo drive and the hub.

So.... axle goes into the right fork leg. Speedo drive first and winds up sitting against the shoulder on the axle.  Next should come the non shouldered spacer behind the speedo drive, then the axle goes through the hub. Out the other side and next comes the shouldered spacer... with the small part facing in towards the brake rotor.   Axle through the left fork leg now, then flat washer and lock nut.  If everything is not lined up well as your sliding the axle through, it will get hung up.  So... Try holding the wheel by the spokes with one hand as you line it all up. Then tap the axle on the right side with a mallet with the other hand and it should slide right through.    Greasing the axle helps things along....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:03:05 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6122 on: December 14, 2015, 02:36:21 am
What GHG said.  Maybe the attached diagram will help. From the diagram's left to right (which is actually the bike's right to left  :o )

• 10 = front axle
  • right fork leg (not shown)
  • 1 = speedo drive
  • 2 = non shouldered spacer
  • hub (not shown, includes 13,bearing spacer, inside the hub between the wheel bearings)
  • 14 = shouldered spacer
  • left fork leg (not shown)
  • 11, 12 = washer and axle nut

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #6123 on: December 14, 2015, 04:34:57 am
Thanks for that help.  It would seem that I am missing a spacer between the hub and the speedo drive but the explanation of how it fits seems pretty straightforward.  The diagram picture did not come through.  In any event the next step is to make some spacers and fit everything together.  Thanks to all of you. Looking for a happy ending. I will let you know the outcome.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6124 on: December 14, 2015, 10:12:55 am
Thanks for that help.  It would seem that I am missing a spacer between the hub and the speedo drive but the explanation of how it fits seems pretty straightforward.  The diagram picture did not come through.  In any event the next step is to make some spacers and fit everything together.  Thanks to all of you. Looking for a happy ending. I will let you know the outcome.

I've got the diagram showing right there on my screen... I wonder why you can't see it?  Not that it will help you now, but I've attached it below, maybe that will help.

Did your bike not have that smaller spacer to begin with?  Or did it roll away somewhere during removal perhaps?  Seems strange that your bike would have been assembled without it... 

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6125 on: December 14, 2015, 10:19:56 am
 My bike came with an offset front wheel. Making a suitable spacer out of an old washer was one of the first things I did. For me the most difficult part of the reassembly process was getting those stupid tangs correctly seated inside the speedo drive unit.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #6126 on: December 14, 2015, 01:32:22 pm
Fired her up, let her warm up a bit then wheeled her out the door so my wife could lock up behind us.  Then I rode about 15 minutes into town (traffic was relatively light today) to drop the wife off at work and took "the shortcut" back home. You know a shortcut always is longer and takes longer.  ;)  Headed south out of town then caught the new road that cuts east to west across the south end of town and came out a few blocks from home.  This only added about 10-15 km to the ride, but it was a great day in Coffee Country to be out and riding and every KM was enjoyed - especially once I got out of town.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6127 on: December 14, 2015, 01:44:20 pm
......This only added about 10-15 km to the ride, but it was a great day in Coffee Country to be out and riding and every KM was enjoyed - especially once I got out of town.

Extremely jealous.  Not only of what I try to imagine of the beautiful scenery (based on pictures and movies I've seen) but your cups of coffee in the morning must be Fantastico!  Much better than the Folgers I'm drinking right now, anyway.  Hahaha    :D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6128 on: December 14, 2015, 01:50:04 pm
Extremely jealous.  Not only of what I try to imagine of the beautiful scenery (based on pictures and movies I've seen) but your cups of coffee in the morning must be Fantastico!  Much better than the Folgers I'm drinking right now, anyway.  Hahaha    :D

I'll let you in on a little secret. It doesn't take so much water to make a good pot of coffee.  :)  One weird little observation, most Colombians have NO idea how to make decent coffee, nor do they drink much of it. We lived here for about two or three years before I had a decent cup made somewhere other than home.  We've found a couple of local brands that are really good.  I like it a bit darker than my wife does, but she can add hot water if I get it too strong for her.  Speaking of coffee, I should go make a pot before I go to sleep here in the office!
Paul

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6129 on: December 14, 2015, 01:55:19 pm
I'll let you in on a little secret. It doesn't take so much water to make a good pot of coffee.  :)  One weird little observation, most Colombians have NO idea how to make decent coffee, nor do they drink much of it. We lived here for about two or three years before I had a decent cup made somewhere other than home.  We've found a couple of local brands that are really good.  I like it a bit darker than my wife does, but she can add hot water if I get it too strong for her.  Speaking of coffee, I should go make a pot before I go to sleep here in the office!

Same here.  I've heard coffee is served in much smaller, but stronger portions there.  Here in the USA you have order espresso if you want something strong and dark like that.  Our coffee is more like tea, hahaha.  But I also make the coffee too dark for my wife's liking, and when she makes it, I think to myself "Did you PUT coffee in the basket?"   ;D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6130 on: December 14, 2015, 02:37:47 pm
Same here.  I've heard coffee is served in much smaller, but stronger portions there.  Here in the USA you have order espresso if you want something strong and dark like that.  Our coffee is more like tea, hahaha.  But I also make the coffee too dark for my wife's liking, and when she makes it, I think to myself "Did you PUT coffee in the basket?"   ;D

That'd be Brazil where they make stronger coffee and serve it in smaller cups.  The renowned "cafezinho" of Brazil is head and shoulders above anything made in Colombia by Colombians.  The Colombians have a few twists on it, one being the use of "agua de panela" (brown sugar water) to make "coffee".  It usually tastes like brown sugar water. The best coffee ever is made out in the middle of nowhere Brazil over a charcoal or wood fire with beans roasted right there and "ground" in a huge wooden mortar and pestle.  Of course, they also make it sweet - strong enough to walk down your throat and put your pancreas in a headlock.

At church we brew up a pot each Sunday and have had a hard time teaching the ladies to do it right. "Make it strong, if someone wants it weak they can add hot water, but there's no way to turn a weak cup of coffee into one worth drinking!" is the message I occasionally have to remind them of.  :)     
Paul

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6131 on: December 14, 2015, 06:21:49 pm
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee” is a frequently cited anecdote that has usually been attributed to Abraham Lincoln. There is no evidence that Lincoln ever said it.

Regardless, I agree.  I started making coffee with a Brikka from Bialetti.  It's the standard Italian home espresso pot but with a pressure cooker top so you get a bit higher pressure and temperature.  It only makes enough to fill two espresso cups or about half a standard coffee mug, but it's strong and bold and one serving is all I need before I leave the house in the morning.

I'm jealous about your ride too.  It's been raining hard here in Portland, OR for the better part of two weeks.  It rains a fair bit here and people take pride in taking it in stride, but this is enough rain that we're getting flooding and landslides.  Not really riding weather.  I better hook up the battery tender before the battery fades away from lack of use.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #6132 on: December 14, 2015, 07:26:09 pm
........ the standard Italian home espresso pot but with a pressure cooker top so you get a bit higher pressure and temperature.  It only makes enough to fill two espresso cups or about half a standard coffee mug, but it's strong and bold and one serving is all I need before I leave the house in the morning........

Or, you could forgo the morning ritual and just swallow a couple Vivarin on your way out the door .....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6133 on: December 15, 2015, 12:11:24 am
  Oh... I polished an exhaust port, textured an intake port.  Finished up a chamber.  :-X ;D

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6134 on: December 15, 2015, 12:55:21 am
my xmas gift!......accempted!....lol