Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855334 times)

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5505 on: February 07, 2015, 10:58:02 pm
Well, I've got a new DID (non o-ring) on the shelf, waiting to be installed in the spring - if I don't kill myself before it gets here.  I have plenty of opportunities.  I could throw myself off the roof - while I'm up there shoveling it; I could step in front of a snow plow - which comes by my house about every hour;  I could poison myself with CO from my generator exhaust - which I have had to run when the power goes out...

Hmm... can you tell yet that I'm sick of this winter?
I know how you feel Matt! Run down to CVS and get some vitamin D :)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5506 on: February 08, 2015, 12:07:02 am
Didn't really get to ride much, but I was able to put this video together today.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZnHlEXUFU&feature=youtu.be
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

caricabasso

• Bulleteer
Reply #5507 on: February 08, 2015, 06:57:38 am
The chain was heavily lubricated before fitting then every 200 miles as my journeys consist of 100 mile each way distance travelled before the break 475 miles, front sprocket was fitted at the same time as the chain so is new, rear sprocket had 5700 miles on it, so is hardly worn.
I'm about to recheck wheel and sprocket alignment as suggested by Hitchcock's in case something has moved before fitting a new chain.
some slightly out of focus pictures (sorry!)

a second broken link 18" from the complete break

Last fotos I seem to see the traces of rust on the chain links.
It 's true or those red spots depend on the fact that the picture is blurred?

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #5508 on: February 08, 2015, 09:28:49 am
yes that's rust, mostly from laying on a wet salted road for a while, however, I also think the chain had sat on the shelf for a while in damp conditions before being sent out to me.
It's getting posted back to Hitchcock tomorrow so I'll have to await their conclusion.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #5509 on: February 11, 2015, 12:50:09 am
I just received an email from Hitchcock, they have agreed that something is not right with the chain, there is excessive wear to the rollers and plates etc so have refunded the cost of the chain as well as the return postage cost, which was unexpected so a nice surprise.
They are sending the chain back to the manufacture for further investigation.......They have asked me to ensure my sprockets are in good condition so as not to risk another life threatening incident, which of course I have already done, but will now do before any long distance trip for the foreseeable future.
They have also asked for a report on the performance of the new DID chain I have fitted, guessing they may stock them in the future then.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5510 on: February 11, 2015, 02:09:55 am
Did another and what I HOPE to be a final shakedown run.  Also ran to The Bonneville Shop on lunch and picked up a thermal spacer for the carb and got that installed.  Went out for a short ride, doing a few more timing adjustments on the side of the road, and she seems to be running real solid now.  Still want to make a few more tweaks and there's a few other things I want to do still, but the Blackhawk is getting very near 98% completion.  I can't say 100% because what bike is ever 100% finished?!    ;D

caricabasso

• Bulleteer
Reply #5511 on: February 15, 2015, 04:03:42 pm
I disassembled the exhaust manifold, it was a job I had in mind for a long time.
In fact I had noticed from the first day that the flange was bent and also the bolts.
I also cut the casting of aluminum that is horrible also an obstacle to cooling.

The flange was bent and crooked bolts

With the welder I added material to reinforce.
I used stainless steel electrodes from 1.6 mm

Painted with heat resistant paint

All assembled again

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5512 on: February 16, 2015, 04:42:28 am
Checked the battery and put some air in the tires, rode it to a small town about 25 miles away, stopped at my favorite run down restaurant, had a cup of coffee and watched the Enfield out the window. After a short while a crowd had gathered around it and I went out to talk to them. Mostly older guys who didn't seem to know what it was. They were all convinced that it was a restored vintage British bike (I have British flag stickers on the side covers) They were quite amazed to find it was almost new, it seemed most of them wanted one, but figured their wives would not allow it. Got back on, fired it up, listened to that beautiful sound for a minute or so, and headed back home. The long way. About 80 miles total. It's amazing how miles seem to melt away on the Enfield, even at 60 mph.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5513 on: February 16, 2015, 04:58:35 am
I disassembled the exhaust manifold, it was a job I had in mind for a long time.
In fact I had noticed from the first day that the flange was bent and also the bolts.
I also cut the casting of aluminum that is horrible also an obstacle to cooling.

The flange was bent and crooked bolts

With the welder I added material to reinforce.
I used stainless steel electrodes from 1.6 mm

Painted with heat resistant paint

All assembled again

Very interesting. What model Enfield? You just cut the ribbed collar off? I notice the flange itself is cracked. I am assuming you welded the crack in the steel flange? It looks like the studs got bent from the nuts being overtightened. The studs on mine keep coming loose. However they are not bent. I have not tightened then really tight because I was afraid of stripping the threads in the head or breaking a stud off in the head. You say it was that way when you bought the bike? Did anything ever come loose? It looks like things do not line up properly is what bent the studs. Did you replace the studs? I'm thinking about using bolts instead, and possibly drilling the heads for safety wire, so they will be mechanically locked in place. I also need a new gasket, mine leaks a tiny bit, from being reused so many times. I suppose I will have to order one from the dealer 120 miles away, then wait a few weeks for it to come in. Do you or anyone else know of an alternative? Harley Sportster gaskets are a perfect fit on my Kawasaki Vulcan 750.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5514 on: February 16, 2015, 05:04:17 am
Didn't really get to ride much, but I was able to put this video together today.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZnHlEXUFU&feature=youtu.be

Nice. Sounds the way a bike should. I assume that's the twin?

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5515 on: February 16, 2015, 05:15:44 am
Wow, glad you're safe.  With only 500 miles and that dangerous of a situation I think I'd be calling Reynolds and explaining your story and ask for "rectification of the situation".  I'm sure they'll give you a new one.

I would not want another chain of the same brand. You might not be so lucky next time. I use  DID and RK chains on all my bikes, and have never had one break, even on a KX500 2 stroke  MX bike that broke a lot of parts due to excessive power. Those things are crotch rockets for the dirt. My stock chain (unknown brand) still looks good at 5600 miles, I lube it every 300 miles with BelRay Superclean spray. Never been ridden or left sitting in the rain. Only been adjusted once, before 500 miles.

Mandar_C500

• Scooter
Reply #5516 on: February 16, 2015, 08:19:24 am
I am facing an issue with the Low Fuel Indicator on my classic 500 from day one. This weekend I have opened the Fuel sensor after emptying the tank.
The sensor is working fine outside the tank, I cleaned it and fix it back but no luck. The problem persist. Not sure what went wrong.
Any pointers.

--Mandar

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5517 on: February 16, 2015, 09:10:33 am
I am facing an issue with the Low Fuel Indicator on my classic 500 from day one. This weekend I have opened the Fuel sensor after emptying the tank.
The sensor is working fine outside the tank, I cleaned it and fix it back but no luck. The problem persist. Not sure what went wrong.
Any pointers.

If the sender unit is functioning properly mechanically, then the problem is electrical. I'm not sure about bikes, but most cars use a 0-90 ohm system, with O ohms being empty, and 90 ohms being full. But that is with an actual gauge. The Enfield system may have a simple on/off switch, which illuminates the light when the sending unit reaches a certain level. If the light is on all the time, either the sending unit is malfunctioning and sending power to it all the time, or it is getting power from somewhere else. I have not seen a schematic of that circuit.

--Mandar

caricabasso

• Bulleteer
Reply #5518 on: February 16, 2015, 10:20:20 am
Very interesting. What model Enfield? You just cut the ribbed collar off? I notice the flange itself is cracked. I am assuming you welded the crack in the steel flange? It looks like the studs got bent from the nuts being overtightened. The studs on mine keep coming loose. However they are not bent. I have not tightened then really tight because I was afraid of stripping the threads in the head or breaking a stud off in the head. You say it was that way when you bought the bike? Did anything ever come loose? It looks like things do not line up properly is what bent the studs. Did you replace the studs? I'm thinking about using bolts instead, and possibly drilling the heads for safety wire, so they will be mechanically locked in place. I also need a new gasket, mine leaks a tiny bit, from being reused so many times. I suppose I will have to order one from the dealer 120 miles away, then wait a few weeks for it to come in. Do you or anyone else know of an alternative? Harley Sportster gaskets are a perfect fit on my Kawasaki Vulcan 750.

Mine is the Standard B5 of 2012.
The exhaust gasket is made of cardboard type asbestos with a metal core.
Should put a seal mixed copper-asbestos (asbestos or type) of the same size.
I do not think difficult to find at aftermarket car or bike, also available from retail marine engine spares.
To remove the aluminum part just make a cut with a saw and then expand with a wedge.
It should however protect the exhaust manifold by inserting a blade of aluminum or iron between the flange and the tube to avoid marking with the blade.
Once removed the aluminum collar remains the iron part that I then shortened.
With the welding I reinforced everything.
We here in Italy several Royal Enfield show that defect, that is, the bending of the flange.
My impression is that the bolt of the right to remain shorter than the left for an incorrect alignment of the flange.
In fact, as can be seen from the photographs, after repairing the folding of the flange and reinforced with the carry the welding, right now the bolt remains shorter than the left one.
Probably during assembly at the factory is a tendency to tighten more to the right until it pops out from the nut.
This involves the bending of the flange and the bolt.
I have not replaced the bolts bent have them repaired by blocking the vice beating with a hammer after putting the nuts to protect the thread.
However, it is advisable to replace them.
To ensure a good locking bolts used to put the thread of this product and it works well from Bostik threadlocker resistant up to 1250 ° celsius

http://www.ebay.it/itm/BOSTIK-SIGILLANTE-CAMINETTI-E-STUFE-MASTICE-REFRETTARIO-SIGILLANTE-FINO-A-1250-C-/131069657340
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:28:25 am by caricabasso »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5519 on: February 16, 2015, 11:58:38 am
Nice. Sounds the way a bike should. I assume that's the twin?

Yep!  That's the ol' '58 twin.  :)