Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855383 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #5445 on: January 23, 2015, 10:39:14 am
Tough. Those flames!  8)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #5446 on: January 23, 2015, 04:39:44 pm
Jeez that sounds great, Scotty! Great work!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5447 on: January 24, 2015, 03:38:51 am
I GOT A LOT DONE TODAY!!!    :D

So Ducati Scotty sent me a brand new Dunstall that he had bought for his Bullet before he sold it but never installed it.  So a huge thank you to him for helping me complete the classic race exhaust!   ;)   I welded it directly the head pipe, since I always remove the exhaust with the muffler attached anyway, and gave it a nice little kick out.  It comes back and exits even with the rear tire and is 66" in total length.  Scott had already packed the core with fiberglass, and while extremely quiet, it chocked the motor out so bad the bike didn't want to run or even rev.  So after consulting with Ace on the phone I decided to remove all the fiberglass and cut the core down to a mere 3" in length, compared to 24".  The throttle response it crisp and has a real nice bark out the exhaust.  I am really liking the new exhaust as a whole, and between that, the heads, and the dry clutch set up (attempt) I am super excited to get out for a test ride.    ;D

And after work today I got the new Bedlam Werks seat pan installed on the bike....  Fucking Sexy!    8)

Here's a video of the exhaust.  :)
http://youtu.be/3i2h4BlEYW0

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:44:13 am by High On Octane »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5448 on: January 24, 2015, 04:37:27 am
That looks and sounds freaking awesome!  Nice Scottie.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5449 on: January 24, 2015, 11:06:34 am
Awesome!  ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5450 on: January 24, 2015, 01:43:07 pm
Scottie,
I just want to mention that the length of the exhaust is a little on the long side. It is a tuned length which reinforces the mid-rpm range.
You can see how it goes, as is.
If you feel it could use some more oomph in the upper rpms, and you think the lower and mids are plenty strong, you can cut the tail end of the header back a few inches, and that will move the tuning range up the rpm band some. We use 31" header length on the Fireball, and a 14" megaphone, for about 6000 rpm use.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5451 on: January 24, 2015, 01:52:18 pm
Scottie,
I just want to mention that the length of the exhaust is a little on the long side. It is a tuned length which reinforces the mid-rpm range.
You can see how it goes, as is.
If you feel it could use some more oomph in the upper rpms, and you think the lower and mids are plenty strong, you can cut the tail end of the header back a few inches, and that will move the tuning range up the rpm band some. We use 31" header length on the Fireball, and a 14" megaphone, for about 6000 rpm use.

Thanks for the info Ace!  I'm OK with strong mid range as long as the top end doesn't puke out before 5000 rpms.  If she ends up being a slouch at the top, I will remove a few inches from the head pipe.  It is a bit longer than I wanted, but it just looks so damn good!  8)  I did notice that with the exhaust as is, the throttle response is very crisp, no hiccups.  And when I rode around to the gas station across the parking lot it had real clean torque using very little throttle.  I wasn't about to get too crazy with my funnel fuel tank installed tho.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:54:50 pm by High On Octane »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5452 on: January 24, 2015, 02:05:41 pm
Thanks for the info Ace!  I'm OK with strong mid range as long as the top end doesn't puke out before 5000 rpms.  If she ends up being a slouch at the top, I will remove a few inches from the head pipe.  It is a bit longer than I wanted, but it just looks so damn good!  8)  I did notice that with the exhaust as is, the throttle response is very crisp, no hiccups.  And when I rode around to the gas station across the parking lot it had real clean torque using very little throttle.  I wasn't about to get too crazy with my funnel fuel tank installed tho.  ;)

Bike looks great, Scottie. Good work.

I wish your shop was right down the road. I'd love to hang out there every now & then & hand you a wrench or a cutting wheel. Nobody around close here is garage building & I can't ride far enough any more. Waaaah  :(
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5453 on: January 24, 2015, 05:11:11 pm
Sounds really good Scottie!  I'm a little bummed all the work I spent repacking the muffler was for nothing but I can't argue with the results. 

Scott

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #5454 on: January 25, 2015, 02:22:49 pm
That sounds brilliant. Hurry up and get the bike finished so we can see and hear it all in one piece ;)

Gave my B5 a good wipe over with wd40 to remove the brown stains of surface rust, the salt air is really effecting the ally and chrome.
found the front tyre had been slowly deflating, thinking I may have pinched the inner tube when installing the new tyre, on checking, I found the inner part of the valve wasn't seated properly. now sorted.
After a ride out to get some gas thinking the top end was a bit noisey, I also found the exhaust header nuts have worked loose this is the second time. I'll look into some way of locking them on a bit more securely.
So now the bike is ready and the weather is better this week for my 100 mile each way commute.......
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5455 on: January 25, 2015, 04:56:33 pm
Drill and safety wire those puppies.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5456 on: January 25, 2015, 07:35:52 pm
I GOT A LOT DONE TODAY!!!    :D

So Ducati Scotty sent me a brand new Dunstall that he had bought for his Bullet before he sold it but never installed it.  So a huge thank you to him for helping me complete the classic race exhaust!   ;)   I welded it directly the head pipe, since I always remove the exhaust with the muffler attached anyway, and gave it a nice little kick out.  It comes back and exits even with the rear tire and is 66" in total length.  Scott had already packed the core with fiberglass, and while extremely quiet, it chocked the motor out so bad the bike didn't want to run or even rev.  So after consulting with Ace on the phone I decided to remove all the fiberglass and cut the core down to a mere 3" in length, compared to 24".  The throttle response it crisp and has a real nice bark out the exhaust.  I am really liking the new exhaust as a whole, and between that, the heads, and the dry clutch set up (attempt) I am super excited to get out for a test ride.    ;D

And after work today I got the new Bedlam Werks seat pan installed on the bike....  Fucking Sexy!    8)

Here's a video of the exhaust.  :)
http://youtu.be/3i2h4BlEYW0

WOW !   Pretty cool Scottie.  That bike is coming along nice !  Sounds great.    I'm using that same   " Silencer" now.   I shortened mine a bit on the inlet side, with the baffle unpacked, yet full cone length . To fit the tuned length of the 1 7/8 header.   So with the header inserted it gives me about a 18-20 baffled megaphone....Nice deep sound.  Remove the three baffle nuts at the rear. pull the baffle.... and instant open megaphone.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5457 on: January 25, 2015, 09:13:21 pm

WOW !   Pretty cool Scottie.  That bike is coming along nice !  Sounds great.    I'm using that same   " Silencer" now.   I shortened mine a bit on the inlet side, with the baffle unpacked, yet full cone length . To fit the tuned length of the 1 7/8 header.   So with the header inserted it gives me about a 18-20 baffled megaphone....Nice deep sound.  Remove the three baffle nuts at the rear. pull the baffle.... and instant open megaphone.

That is exactly what I discussed with Ace over the phone.  With my set up, I should have really good torque and power in the mid range which will be great for the street and twisties up in the mountains.  Then when I go to the track, pull the baffle and instant open pipe!  And boy does she sound nasty with the baffle out.    ;D

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #5458 on: January 26, 2015, 02:53:34 pm
oooh i'd love to hear that thing climb a nice long grade.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5459 on: January 26, 2015, 07:26:03 pm
What do you guys think of the seat?