Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855381 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #5160 on: November 03, 2014, 07:07:43 pm
On the weekend my bike had the pleasure pf sharing a shed with 6 other Enfields, but some wern't 'stock'...
2 V-Twin Enfields, Carbry or somethinv
Probably nearly the fastest Bullet going around (He's hoping to hit 200kph with a new head)
A beat up C5
And a stock as a rock Classic.

You may of heard of him, Guy Brown, SpeedDog racing, he is a friend of mine and a 59ner, and he is gonna help me with a bottom end build with an ACE head ;)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #5161 on: November 05, 2014, 09:23:54 pm
Just returned from my 220 mile commute on my B5.
The riding experience on the Bullet is so much better, cruising happily at 60-65mph with bursts to 70-75 for overtakes and very little vibration. when fully warm I pinned the throttle as the speed climbed to an indicated 85mph no more. which is not bad considering the fairing, leg-shields and larger drive sprocket.
Back to cruising speed, the fairing is very effective, I'm 6'3" so the screen is just below my eyeline, air flow is passed over the top of my helmet to such an extent I had the helmets faceshield open for most of the journey with the temp about 2deg C (minus windchill) even heavy rain was no problem. Handling seems more assured due extra weight on the front, downforce etc. front is now very sure footed. The rear is also a lot better having eliminated the vague feeling caused by the rusted swingarm pivot bolt and tube wearing the nylon bushes.
The legshields work but not as well as I'd like, the issue is the front indicators, the legshields need to be raised by about 2" to be more effective but the OEM indicators are in the way....time to look for an alternative.
Overall the modifications may not be to some peoples taste but they have already proved their worth and mean I can enjoy my Bullet more all year round ;) 
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5162 on: November 05, 2014, 10:45:07 pm
mr mazza
your friend who is a 59er - maybe you made and error and missed it by another 10.....lol

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5163 on: November 05, 2014, 11:26:20 pm
Took probably my last ride for the season after work today... :(
It was in the mid '50's but will get progressively colder in this neck of the woods.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5164 on: November 06, 2014, 02:29:10 am
Took probably my last ride for the season after work today... :(
It was in the mid '50's but will get progressively colder in this neck of the woods.

Yeah - beautiful day today!  But no riding - the roads are still covered with salt... snow-melt... leaves... tree branches... trees... live electric wires...  NorEaster, you missed it all!

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5165 on: November 06, 2014, 03:03:49 am
Yes Mattsz we only got about an inch of snow the other day. I know other areas in our state got socked pretty good.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #5167 on: November 07, 2014, 05:46:15 am
Yep.  My head gasket is blown.  Just ran to the liquor store for a 6 pack 2 blocks away and it completely let loose coming back up the hill.  Damn.   :-\

was that a full copper gasket ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5168 on: November 07, 2014, 12:37:58 pm
was that a full copper gasket ?

Yes it was.  I'm thinking of maybe taking the tank off and starting the cafe conversion and fix the dents on it this weekend.  It will give something to do until I can get the new gaskets ordered and made from Cometic.  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #5169 on: November 08, 2014, 03:31:27 am
I got one last ride out of her for the year, and put her in storage. Spring can't come soon enough...

Over the winter I intend to do a little wrenching on the bike, and after replacing some of the instrumentation lamps in the car with LED bulbs, I'm determined to replace at least the idiot lights on the bike. The speedo has to keep its warm incandescent glow, though, just like the pilot lights.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #5170 on: November 08, 2014, 08:10:42 pm
Installed my Wassell spring seat and test rode it.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5171 on: November 08, 2014, 08:46:15 pm
Scotty,
What are the dimensions on that seat?
Was it direct bolt on job or did you have to fabricate anything?
Thanks!

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #5172 on: November 08, 2014, 09:22:54 pm
Width is 16" Length is 14" -- The front will bolt on to the existing perch using two smaller nuts and bolts and a little bending of the seat frame, the rear will require two metal strips appx three to four inches long and two bolts to attach at the rear.  The existing springs mount to the front of the metal strips.  This applies to a C5, and will lower the seat height about two inches  I purchased the saddle from the Bonneville Shop in Denver.  The price is now $99.95. I received two day delivery.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5173 on: November 09, 2014, 12:29:54 am
Roger, the owner of the Bonneville Shop is a great guy.  I have bought several parts from him locally.  He actually recently expanded over the summer and moved to a bigger shop, but it's about 30minutes further away from me.  So my last couple of purchases I just ordered over the phone and had him ship the parts to me.  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #5174 on: November 09, 2014, 03:36:04 am
Today,I rode 50 miles,in35degree fog. My face shield had slush on it! The sun came out on the way back,and when I got home,I changed the oil,and filter,at 1500 miles. The oil had 1000 miles on it,and looked good.There was nothing on the screen. It is becoming difficult to find non-alcohol fuel,here,as winter is coming. Have a good ride,if you can!      Lynn
Lynn