Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855377 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5100 on: October 23, 2014, 07:11:00 pm
Ran out of gas today.  I knew it was getting close but was waiting for the light to tell me when.  Well, it didn't tell me.  No light ! Nada !

Mine did that and I ran out of gas. I just started carrying an erasable marker and wrote the fillup mileage on the chrome handlebar clip. When I got a couple of hundred miles on it I'd look for a gas station. I never ran out of gas again. but I did determine I could get 240 miles out of a tank!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #5101 on: October 23, 2014, 09:36:22 pm
Is there some other "system" to use to remove the wheel?
You could remove the chain and brake n shit but this way has been on REs since 1939ish
Extremely easy, simple and I did most the work one handed.
The fender flip trick is handy to know too, also allows easy taillight work.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5102 on: October 23, 2014, 10:20:08 pm
You could remove the chain and brake n shit but this way has been on REs since 1939ish
Extremely easy, simple and I did most the work one handed.
The fender flip trick is handy to know too, also allows easy taillight work.

But you gotta remove the wheel to remove the brake.  Don'cha?

I read the original post as if he was suggesting that the QD system was just one possible method to remove the wheel.  It wasn't written that way, though.  He simply said that it took him 10 minutes to remove the wheel, in what turns out to be the usual fashion.  So, nevermind!  ;)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #5103 on: October 24, 2014, 02:33:29 am
 I finally got the parts i needed except for the new brake pads and started her for the first time since the re-build . started first go. Sounds fine . Went for a little test ride and all seems to be ok, although the tappets seem a tad louder than i remember. So no commuting to melbourne yet ,just a bit more local riding until the new rings are bedded in. Oh and the neutral light is on.
guess I need to replace that-its a fragile wire and i was a bit sus on it .
Just a quick edit to say ~ She's running beautifully! Feels great to be riding again. :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:50:36 am by AussieDave »
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #5104 on: October 25, 2014, 04:45:58 am
Bought some new polishing stuff.
Thought I'd try out Mothers after seeing them at a show.
Got that power cone buffer that goes in a cordless drill, Alloy polish and chrome polish.
Started on my primary case...It works, like amazingly well, within 30 mins I had a near chrome finish! And my case was rough, Ive yet to use the chrome and the buffer is drying out but I can safely say Mothers is extremely good!
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5105 on: October 25, 2014, 06:06:41 am
I use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish on My aluminum it works great and last quite a while. I haven't tried their chrome polish yet. They make high quality waxes so I bet it works good too. ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5106 on: October 25, 2014, 03:01:29 pm
Mother's and Meguiar's are both great companies.  I have no problems using either of their products.  Actually, I even stock a few of their items at the shop for auto body and paint.

I'm getting geared up for a late season mountain ride with my friend Paul.  We're going to meet up for breakfast in a couple of hours.  I think we are heading up thru Evergreen, take 103 up and over Squaw Pass.  Probably stop at Echo Lake at the bottom of Mt Evans for a few pics, and then back down into Idaho Springs.  Maybe even go up to the top of Mt Evans, not sure yet, but I'm sure it's getting quite brisk at 14,100' this time of year.  Sounds like an adventure to me!  ;D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5107 on: October 25, 2014, 04:44:13 pm
Lubricated both brake cables, adjusted brake cables and went for a 30 min spin...Started up on first kick so I'm satisfied with the mental preparation of pulling the battery mid Dec..The grass is till growing strong so maybe I'll see a longer riding season here...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #5108 on: October 25, 2014, 05:05:55 pm
Fitted an AGM battery went to go for a ride..... puncture in rear tyre, pulled out a 1" long nail.
So thought might as well......
Dropped bike on it's side, removed engine case changed sprocket for a 1 tooth bigger version fitted new chain,
Stood bike up, removed rear wheel ready for new inner tube then removed brake and swingarm ready for new swingarm bushesto be fitted. The swingarm needs a bit of preservation so it will be a while before I rebuild the back end
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #5109 on: October 25, 2014, 05:13:23 pm
Mine did that and I ran out of gas. I just started carrying an erasable marker and wrote the fillup mileage on the chrome handlebar clip. When I got a couple of hundred miles on it I'd look for a gas station. I never ran out of gas again. but I did determine I could get 240 miles out of a tank!
Bare
Being an old guy, I'll relate the system used in the past. Before going for a ride, look in the gas tank. If the tank is half empty, fill it from your gas can, or stop by your nearest gas station. Main thing is to remember to look every time. Also good to be aware of oil level before you ride.
I had a good refueling system going with my Ural. I had a 2 gallon jerry can attached which I would always top off when buying gas, so always had enough for solo bikes & lawn mower.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5110 on: October 25, 2014, 05:50:29 pm
Sometimes we forget the simplest stuff.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5111 on: October 25, 2014, 07:41:00 pm
Went for a little test ride and all seems to be ok, although the tappets seem a tad louder than i remember.

They probably sound louder because all the other noises were gone!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5112 on: October 26, 2014, 06:36:47 am
Wow!  What an adventure today!  Met with Paul and Caleb for breakfast, rode 140 miles of beautiful Rocky Mountain scenery, and some delicious wine.  But this ride was NOT without adventure.  I decided to bring pretty much all of my tools this time and good thing.  My bike was still jetted for for 5200' and 90*F and we were at about 11,000' and 40*F.  Bike just started bogging down and had no power beyond 2nd gear.  So we pulled over to make a jetting change, pull out the tool kit and realized I forgot to put my jets in there.  So I did the only thing I could do and lowered the needle 1 notch.  It was still pretty sluggish but I could at least accelerate in all gears.  Once we got back out of the mountains I had to pull over again and change it back as it started backfiring pretty bad.  All in all I had to pull over 4 different times to make carb adjustments, but it was an awesome ride.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5113 on: October 26, 2014, 02:38:19 pm
They probably sound louder because all the other noises were gone!
Bare

Bare: That was a good one..There lies the problem....GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

rocksinpockets

• Scooter
Reply #5114 on: October 26, 2014, 10:11:18 pm
This morning I did the 300 mile oil change on my new 2011 G5.   Then, my wife and I took advantage of the great Tennessee weather today and took a nice ride.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.      Hunter Thompson