Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855458 times)

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #5040 on: October 11, 2014, 03:53:08 am
Are you running the 5-3/4" headlamp or have you made the 7" jump?

I've got the peak for the 5-3/4" - looks great, but I've seen the 7" peaked and now I want to do that too...
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #5041 on: October 12, 2014, 07:23:54 pm
Haven't done the 7" light yet, and this visor is a smaller, generic one. Not the Enfield one. But hey, it was gratis, so I''ll take it.. :)
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5042 on: October 12, 2014, 11:24:07 pm
I installed a new nipple and barrel on my clutch cable and replaced the ignition fuse holder with a blade style fuse holder.  The bike fired on the 2nd kick and wasn't misfiring, but it's been raining today and so I wasn't able to go for a ride to see if it still misfires under load.  Sounded like it was running fine tho.  I also tested the electrical system just to make that wasn't the issue again and it's charging really strong, if anything close to overcharging.  It was running at 14.5 volts at about 3000 RPMs with the lights on.  Supposed to be nice tomorrow so I'll take her out for a ride then.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #5043 on: October 13, 2014, 01:04:34 pm
Today I serviced the front end. I removed the forks and cleaned them and changed the fork oil, removed the steering yoke and re packed the bearings with fresh grease, replaced the rubber boots, one of which was split ,tidied up the wiring behind the headlamp, lubed the speedo cable , and cleaned up the front wheel . Tomorrow I will service the brake calliper . Looks so much nicer clean !
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5044 on: October 13, 2014, 06:22:32 pm
I installed a new nipple and barrel on my clutch cable...

Did you use a bolt on or solder on piece?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5045 on: October 13, 2014, 11:35:05 pm
Did you use a bolt on or solder on piece?

I used a soldered nipple.  I think what happened was I used silver solder the last time I did the cable instead of rosin core.  It just pulled right off.  And last time I slotted the barrel to slide the cable thru the knuckle, this time I just installed a solid barrel in the knuckle, ran the cable thru and then soldered it.  It shouldn't break again, also the adjuster is back to where it should be.

Took it out for a run this afternoon.  Made a couple of timing adjustments and on my 3rd time out I was cruising approaching a stoplight, right lane was empty and the light turned green before I got there so merged over.  The next thing I know this BMW 735i was right next to me as I'm trying to get around.  So I pulled full throttle and he stomped on it.  I beat him twice from a rolling start, but the 3rd go round he started pulling on me a bit when I got to 3rd and then I had to slow down to pull into home.  Needless to say, I gave that luxury V8 a run for his money, he had to earn that last pull.  ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5046 on: October 13, 2014, 11:58:03 pm
Nothing beats a bike for power to weight ratio.  And when you factor in $$$/hp/pound, it's fast AND cheap!  I tell most people, unless you spent over a quarter of a million on your car, a $5000 used sport bike will probably spank you to 100mph.

Scott

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #5047 on: October 14, 2014, 01:00:30 am
Regarding soldering cable ends.  Back when I made cables for Flanders, we would poke the cable end into silica sand after pushing it through the nipple which would expand it just enough to allow the solder to penetrate between the strands of cable while expanded which made it much less able to pull back through the nipple.  Hope that made sense.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5048 on: October 14, 2014, 03:08:45 am
I know what you're saying.  I actually use a small "tune up" screw driver to fray the ends before soldering.  Same concept.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5049 on: October 14, 2014, 04:03:23 am
I applaud your actions with the BMW ! Their v-8's are over rated! You'd think he'd have learnt after the first two runs to accept the natural order of things gracefully ...    :)
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5050 on: October 14, 2014, 04:26:57 am
I applaud your actions with the BMW ! Their v-8's are over rated! You'd think he'd have learnt after the first two runs to accept the natural order of things gracefully ...    :)

Thanks!  I'm loading the video to youtube right now.  The first 2 times he didn't get past me until I let off and he stayed in it to try and prove a point or something.  The 3rd time I had already let him in front of me because of traffic and I rolled in 3rd gear at about 2500 RPMs where I don't have any power and I still stayed right on his rear.  I could've hung in 4th for a bit too but I didn't have time to shift to 4th as I needed to slow down for home.  ;)   I hope I see him again after I have the Ace Race motor built.  I'll make him pee a little bit.  ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5051 on: October 14, 2014, 05:28:20 am
On the very rare occasions I need to show someone how fast a bike really is, I usually wave goodbye before the light turns green.

Scott

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5052 on: October 14, 2014, 07:38:24 am
Today I had the k70 that I bought from wildbill last year fitted to the front wheel for the princely sum of 20 bucks ! And put that wheel back on the bike .and dismantled and cleaned the front brake assembly..... Definitely time for new pads....put the original trafficators back on.. Which reminds me - I have the small vintage indicators from hitchcocks and have found that the chrome is rusty in spots..... So I think they may soon become black.... Gloss of course.....

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5053 on: October 14, 2014, 08:04:41 am
aussiedave
you should load up a photo

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead