Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855531 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4830 on: August 24, 2014, 07:54:12 am
Did you neutralize the acid before painting it?
I sanded the spots down to bare metal and washed with dish soap. it is ok for now. I'll redo it some other time.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4831 on: August 24, 2014, 01:37:41 pm
Ok... technically it was yesterday but did about a 300 mile ride from home to National Powersports with some stops and visits in between.
I get out a kick out of stopping at Japanese bike dealerships to look around and have all the staff come out to check out the bike as soon as I pull up.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4832 on: August 24, 2014, 01:51:01 pm
I cruised around town yesterday ripping' and rompin' everywhere I went.  I think my front wheel is out of balance tho, still getting a speed wobble at 80mph+.  I've noticed previously that I do have a little bit of a hop going on with the front wheel on the highway, but I haven't been able to determine if it is from the tire or the fork.  The wheel appears to be true, so I don't think that is it.  I guess it's possible I didn't get my rear wheel aligned as good as I thought I did, it was dark by the time I got the wheel mounted back on the bike when I did the tube last week.

Anyways, I was really pushing the bike as hard as I could yesterday.  Kind of a test to see if the bottom end is going to handle the new heads.  :D  I don't have a tach but I am positive I was hitting at least 6,000 RPMs yesterday.  I was wrapping the motor until the clutch lever was about to rattle off!    ;D  The motor sounded real good, except as I was close to home, I was running thru the gears and shortly after I shifted into 3rd the motor stalled for half a second and seemed to recover but I closed the throttle right away because I wasn't sure what happened.  It sounded/felt like I lost spark or fuel for a second, but I didn't notice any issues after it happened.  I even got on it hard a few more times without issues.  It was weird.  I'll try and post the video before I leave this morning for my fishing/camping trip.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4833 on: August 24, 2014, 02:40:05 pm
Here's the video.  The bike stumbles at :21 seconds.  The more I watch that video the more I wonder if I just didn't hit a pothole and blip the throttle without realizing it.....   ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_s0l0rRVI&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:44:05 pm by High On Octane »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4834 on: August 24, 2014, 03:26:12 pm
 Sounds like your ignition cut out.  Do you have a kill switch on that bike Scottie ?  I hear some clicking.... not sure if that just you working something out of site though.. keys vibrating around in the ignition switch ?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:36:08 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4835 on: August 24, 2014, 03:53:15 pm
We move into the house in North Port Fl on Tuesday. Pushed my G5 deluxe from place to place while getting ready for our stuff to arrive. Unfortunately no time to ride-just work & sleep for awhile. It will live in the entry hall if there's no room in the garage.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4836 on: August 24, 2014, 04:13:00 pm
Sounds like your ignition cut out.  Do you have a kill switch on that bike Scottie ?  I hear some clicking.... not sure if that just you working something out of site though.. keys vibrating around in the ignition switch ?

I just have a toggle switch.  The rattling is the clutch lever going bezerk.  I need to replace both of the levers just haven't gotten around to it yet.

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #4837 on: August 24, 2014, 04:24:22 pm
installed a new exhaust gasket, and an oil change...  hopefully the gasket will resolve some back fire issues....  also still trying to track down a rattle that's driving me nuts...  it kicks in most noticeably around 40 in 5th and is there at whatever that portion of the power band is in all gears (no tach)...
Chris

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4838 on: August 24, 2014, 09:11:16 pm
Went riding with some local RE folk, and fixed a brake light problem.

Also took a good long look at my fusebox, and suffered a momentary episode of WTF - the harness that's going into what I assume is the ECU has one light purple wire separated from the rest with a green butt splice on it. What on earth is that thing supposed to be connected to?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:16:51 pm by Royal Stargazer »
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

jkrobin

• Scooter
Reply #4839 on: August 24, 2014, 10:10:58 pm
Finally got around to removing the "EFI-500" tappit cover on my 2012 Chrome and replaced it with the "Royal Enfield" cover from Hitchcock's.
2012 C5 Chrome (Black)
Charlottesville, Virginia

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #4840 on: August 24, 2014, 10:33:14 pm
Rode 53 miles,and am now at 1026 miles.Took my wife for a short,6 mile ride,for the first time on my b5,expecting her to hate it,as I have Willie and Max bags on it.To my surprise,she thought the ride was fine! The bike handled ok,but seemed   to vibrate more,altho,my wife did not think it was any problem.  Lynn
Lynn

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #4841 on: August 24, 2014, 11:04:40 pm
up your pressure and check for loose spokes.

I check them regularly. I'm hoping it was just a perished rim tape. This last tube lasted 5000 miles... until I pinched it. 
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4842 on: August 24, 2014, 11:20:57 pm

Also took a good long look at my fusebox, and suffered a momentary episode of WTF - the harness that's going into what I assume is the ECU has one light purple wire separated from the rest with a green butt splice on it. What on earth is that thing supposed to be connected to?

I'm pretty sure that is the "test lead" that you would ground out to get the ECU to flash the "fault codes".  It normally is not connected to anything.

If the MIL light stays lit when your about to start the engine, that indicates some sort of problem exists with one (or more) of the sensors.
If that happens, turn the ignition switch off and ground out that wire to the engine/ frame/battery (-) terminal.  Then turn on the ignition switch again.

The MIL will flash a series of short and long blinks.  Write them down and then come to the forum and look for the several posts that give what they mean.

There is no way of erasing the faults so it may show several that no longer are a problem.  I think it shows the latest fault(s) first.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4843 on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:28 am
Replaced my short bottle muffler (mech. baffled) with an Emgo cocktail shaker (straight thru with removeable baffle). 

Old: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21409382/IMG_1805.MOV

New Emgo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21409382/IMG_1806.MOV

Havent added any packing.. yet.  Certainly is louder  :D
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4844 on: August 25, 2014, 03:29:41 am
............,my wife did not think it was any problem.  Lynn

Keep her happy  ;D
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5