Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855515 times)

Brad-C5

• Scooter
Reply #2025 on: August 25, 2012, 03:29:35 am
Added 50 miles to the break in total - now at 250!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2026 on: August 26, 2012, 03:00:54 am
Went for an impromptu Ride with Jack, doing Jack's Loop up on Angeles Crest and environs. The weather was beautiful, the roads were clean, the traffic was light. We stopped at Newcombe's Ranch for lunch, watched a bit of the Indy MotoGP from last week, and talked to a couple of very interested guys who are going down for test rides on Enfields.
The only problem was my headlight quit working. I'll fix that tomorrow.
70 MPG racing through the mountains for a ride length of 231 miles for me.
It was a great day
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2027 on: August 26, 2012, 03:16:24 am
put on the rack that i bought from al at fresno royal enfield.
changed my oil....what a mess. i filled it to the lower line and after i started the engine and let it run for a while then shut it off it is now over the top mark.
so i will have to drain out some of the oil.
the motor sure sounds happier with new 20-50 castrol v twin synthetic.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:48:21 am by motorat »
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #2028 on: August 26, 2012, 04:36:31 am
Joe, until you get a "feel" for what she wants, measure (even roughly) the amount you drain out, then add close to that with new. As you've read here, she'll take between 1 to 1.6 qts. To the lower line.
Ride a bit, let sit for a bit on center stand with engine off, then make sure you see something in the glass. Lowest level is fine. Even close to the half way mark will have her marking her territory like an aged bulldog. New oil is always beats even near new oil as oil does "wear out" a good deal even in 1k miles.
Snug your tank bolts and eyeball/wiggle your battery cable ends and ride.
Big Al
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2029 on: August 26, 2012, 04:51:28 am
thanks....i'm going to get it close to the lower mark then go for a little ride.
i lock-tighted(blue) the tank bolts after reading the saddlesore thread.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

rav

• Scooter
Reply #2030 on: August 26, 2012, 01:52:50 pm
Joe,
Can you share some pics of the rack? :)

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #2031 on: August 26, 2012, 02:49:06 pm
 "Even close to the half way mark will have her marking her territory like an aged bulldog...."

Where does the oil leak from when running in an overfilled condition?

I have been guilty of running my 2012 C5 'overfilled' and I now have an oil leak. However, my leak appears to be coming from the kick start shaft cover (not the seal, but the mating surface). The airbox breather and air filter are dry and show no signs of ever being 'oiled'. My problem is the cover that the kick start shaft goes through, there are 4 tiny allen bolts that attach it, and all are tight (well, the three that I can get a wrench on). Oil seeps from the bottom edge of that cover, even when the engine is not running. Interesting in that the shop manual and the parts manual show no gasket for this part. I am waiting on a RH crankcase gasket ordered through my local dealer so that I can pull this apart and further investigate.

Has anyone else noticed a seepage here? (No, it's not accumulation of chain fling off, I cleaned and dried the entire area and left the bike sit overnight, and the clean engine oil is puddled up in that area just hours later).
Chester County, PA
2023 Triumph Bonneville T120

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2032 on: August 26, 2012, 04:13:20 pm
Has anyone else noticed a seepage here? (No, it's not accumulation of chain fling off, I cleaned and dried the entire area and left the bike sit overnight, and the clean engine oil is puddled up in that area just hours later).

I'm guessing your dealer is not interested in repairing it ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2033 on: August 26, 2012, 04:31:19 pm
Joe, until you get a "feel" for what she wants, measure (even roughly) the amount you drain out, then add close to that with new. As you've read here, she'll take between 1 to 1.6 qts. To the lower line.
Ride a bit, let sit for a bit on center stand with engine off, then make sure you see something in the glass. Lowest level is fine. Even close to the half way mark will have her marking her territory like an aged bulldog. New oil is always beats even near new oil as oil does "wear out" a good deal even in 1k miles.
Snug your tank bolts and eyeball/wiggle your battery cable ends and ride.
Big Al

I really want to start a new thread, but since we're on the subject here...

The oil glass on my new bike shows completely full when it's on the center stand.  The dealer demonstrated that when the bike is level, i.e. vertical and on both wheels, the oil level shows in the middle of the glass.  Is this ok?

What should I "pre-emptively" lock-tite, before things rattle loose (new bike, it certainly does rattle!)?  I'm hearing a lot about the tank mounting bolts and suspecting that engine mounting bolts would be smart, too.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2034 on: August 26, 2012, 05:00:45 pm
I really want to start a new thread, but since we're on the subject here...

The oil glass on my new bike shows completely full when it's on the center stand.  The dealer demonstrated that when the bike is level, i.e. vertical and on both wheels, the oil level shows in the middle of the glass.  Is this ok?

My favorite parking spot is not 100% level, so, if I park pointing south the glass is full, however, if I park pointing north the glass shows just a quarter of the way up.

averaging the two readings gives me a "flat earth" level.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2035 on: August 26, 2012, 05:59:30 pm
I have overfilled mine a couple of times. Just ride it, it'll take care of itself.
It will, if anything, just blow the excess out of the breather. It's not likely to cause a leak.
But make sure it's even overfilled. It takes very little change in tilt angle to make fair sized changes in the sight glass level.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #2036 on: August 26, 2012, 07:23:33 pm

I'm guessing your dealer is not interested in repairing it ?

No confidence in their tech dept - I asked if he (the dealer) had RE trained technicians, he said "They watched the service CD"  (supplied by RE). They've only just started to sell Enfields this year. The dealer (owner) didn't even know what the headlight switch was for .... when I bought my bike he was going over the controls and pointed to the headlight switch saying "no one here knows what this is for"..... ( I have since made it operational thanks to the tip about the jumper on this forum).

Chester County, PA
2023 Triumph Bonneville T120

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #2037 on: August 27, 2012, 12:36:46 am
If overfilled, we've only seen it come from the breather. The simplest way to describe the correct oil level in the glass, is if you see something, anywhere in the glass, your ok. If yours is halfway with none blowing out, great. If yours wants to be at the bottom edge, great too. Lots of the 1100-1150 bmws are the same way. The BMW book says half way, but lots seek their own level a bit above or below the line. obsessing over an ounce or two of oil is counterproductive.
For safety, I don't like te idea of running an overfilled bike and letting the oil blow out. Best I think, to drain a bit out. It's a pain, but safer and cleaner.
Re: pre-emptive loctite? Tank bolts, fender stays, exhaust flange nuts is what I suggest at delivery. During break in, put a wrench here and there to check things over for bolts unique to your bike. my opinion.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

busmec

• Scooter
Reply #2038 on: August 27, 2012, 02:34:17 am
I've overfilled my B5 what I did was to get my hand vacum pump for bleeding brakes & small hose pumped out excess and if you pump out too much you can add it back and hardly any mess.

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2039 on: August 28, 2012, 02:09:33 am
here's the rack...kinda hard to see after i tied my bags to it.
by tieing the bags t it they are away from the exhaust.
the patch is where the bag made contact and burned a hole.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military