Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855538 times)

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1710 on: June 25, 2012, 05:47:55 pm
sebastopol ca.   the road i was on goes right by the school house and church where the filmed "the Birds".
there are miles of eally fun roads out here most 2 lane country roads in various states of repair.
when i finally get a day off i'm going to run up the coast to mendocino...my next day off is 4th of july but that will be spent with family..so i'm looking at the 7th.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #1711 on: June 25, 2012, 06:04:40 pm
Well enjoy your military there in California! I'm sure enjoying mine here in Ohio.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Oddjon

• Scooter
  • 2012 Bullet G5 Deluxe
Reply #1712 on: June 26, 2012, 03:45:05 am
Rode up to Green Bay today, took CR-ZZ along the Fox River (sort of cool, one of very few rivers that flow in a northerly direction).  Beutiful ride, but i forgot how much the bugs like water too...  Ordered a set of bar end mirrors from a shop up there, they will have them for me in 3 days (still no word on my oil filter kit from our host yet, 8 days and counting so far).  70ish miles all together.
"Happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you will feel it's warmth."

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #1713 on: June 26, 2012, 04:28:24 am
I rode to work.  >:(

...As usual. :P
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #1714 on: June 26, 2012, 04:37:56 am
there are miles of really fun roads out here most 2 lane country roads in various states of repair.
when i finally get a day off i'm going to run up the coast to mendocino...

I became thoroughly enamored of Humbolt County when I was out there in May of '10... Spent two weeks in Sacto on the crew of a touring B'Way show and spent the Monday off zipping around in my little Smart Cabriolet (with the top rolled down, of course) in Humbolt Redwoods State Park & the Avenue of Giants, then out Mattole Rd. (I think) northwest through Petrolia and out to the Coast at Cape Mendocino & Sugar Loaf Island and back via Fortuna...

If I ever get taken prisoner by the State of California (G*d forbid), I hope they let me be interred in Humbolt County, on those half-rotten two-lane twisties.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1715 on: June 26, 2012, 03:16:42 pm
Cleaned, air dried and lightly oiled the air filter. Cleaned and adjusted the gap of the plug. Went for a ride. Low humidity, 85 F the bike ran really good, think I have the air mixture just about right..
Oh Magoo you done it again

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1716 on: June 26, 2012, 03:48:35 pm
Walked out to the garage and looked at my bikes and then walked back to the house.  No driving til July 1st per doctors orders.     Look at the mailbox waiting for my new Barnett plates to show up so I can overhaul the clutch on the 95' next week once I am off "no work or drive" status.

tic toc tic toc.....  ugggggg...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ADB

• Scooter
Reply #1717 on: June 26, 2012, 04:12:46 pm
Rode up to Green Bay today, took CR-ZZ along the Fox River (sort of cool, one of very few rivers that flow in a northerly direction).  Beutiful ride, but i forgot how much the bugs like water too...

Oddjon, where are you from? I'm in Green Bay...funny, a friend of mine and I were just out last week along the Fox, and we also got covered in bugs.
I've yet to see another RE, but now I think there's hope.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1718 on: June 26, 2012, 10:13:48 pm
Rode over to Chino to take a picture of the B-17.
I hate this modern airport security. There were a couple of B-25s out on the ramp.
Not like the Good Old Days (GOD) when you could just walk, or ride, in and could pretty much go where you wanted to. Some of the airports, I still have some access to, including Chino, but it's walking only. I can't take my Beast with me.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Oddjon

• Scooter
  • 2012 Bullet G5 Deluxe
Reply #1719 on: June 26, 2012, 11:58:31 pm
Stared at it as it sat in the garage...I do not have oil filters available, and I am pushing close to the 600mile mark.  Looks like i can order just 1 kit from Hitchcocks.  Hate to let it sit, but I wont abuse it either...
"Happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you will feel it's warmth."

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1720 on: June 27, 2012, 12:11:45 am
Oddjon:  You could take it for a ride to warm the oil up and then drain the oil and clean the pump inlet screen and refill it.

That would remove most of the contaminated oil and gunk that's in your crankcase.
IMO, the bike could then be ridden without a chance of causing problems.
Then when you do get a replacement oil filter you can just remove the old one, install the new one and your bike will be good to go.
If this is your first oil change, most of the debris in the oil filter will be metal chips and it is doubtful there are enough of them to actually clog the filter.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1721 on: June 27, 2012, 12:39:01 am
+1.  You can change the filter without draining the oil later.

Scott

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #1722 on: June 27, 2012, 12:42:21 am
I had the first service done by the dealer today.  What a difference!  The bike seems to idle a little higher and has no problems getting up to 70 mph.  It's noticibly smoother throughout the rev range.

I think I want to remove the mailbox of a rear tail light housing and replace it with the one that says STOP.  Can I reuse the turn signals?  Where would they mount?  If memory serves, they are mounted to the mailbox itself.  Hmmm...this might need it's own thread...
Cromwell, CT
SaddleSore 1000 completed on a C5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1723 on: June 27, 2012, 12:57:21 am
I'm already known around here as the old fart that believes in the break in speeds suggested by RE in their Owners Manual so I'll just mention that until the bikes have over 600 miles on them they are not supposed to be ridden faster than 50 mph.  70 sounds a bit fast?

Yes, the turn signals can be used but as you will find, they have a VERY large thread that doesn't lend itself to an easy attachment to the rear fender.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1724 on: June 27, 2012, 01:02:20 am
Bare mounted some nifty little brackets on the top shock bolt to mount his rear turn signals. Worked out very well.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack