Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855353 times)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1305 on: January 12, 2012, 01:12:40 pm
Depends on the bike model as well. My c5 has a different tank on it than the painted tank models. They  look to have a notch at the bottom over the engine whereas the tank on the chrome ones do not.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1306 on: January 12, 2012, 02:13:04 pm
Got the saddlebags fitted and secured and put them to the test.

So Here's the list of modifications so far.

Heel / Toe shifter
RE fork tool roll
EFI Exhaust
K & N High Flow Air Filter
Crown & Cannon on Battery Box & Tail Light bracket
Saddlebags

Next, those trafficators have to go.

Caseman
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1307 on: January 12, 2012, 02:41:00 pm
Got the saddlebags fitted and secured and put them to the test.

So Here's the list of modifications so far.

Heel / Toe shifter
RE fork tool roll
EFI Exhaust
K & N High Flow Air Filter
Crown & Cannon on Battery Box & Tail Light bracket
Saddlebags

Caseman

Just curious:

How did the EFI deal with the mods to the exhaust & intake?

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1308 on: January 12, 2012, 03:03:23 pm
No problems at all.

Just the increased performance as promised.

First ride with the new air filter yesterday.

The control unit adjusted seamlessly to both the intake and exhaust changes.

Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1309 on: January 12, 2012, 04:59:01 pm

I just ordered some small aluminum bullet lights that I'm going to use. The fronts will tuck in right beside the fork tubes but I have to move them forward a bit so they dont interfere with the turning of the bars. For the rear I'm going to use the stock hole from the big lolly pops and with some fancy bracket work have the bullets stick out at the angled portion of the plate frame.

I originally was thinking of surface mounting a row of LED bulbs down each side of the plate but dont have the heart to drill holes through it... then there would be the issue of the wiring on the back that would be seen.

Nice looking bags.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1310 on: January 12, 2012, 05:10:00 pm
Thanks Desi,

They were "universal" throw over bags, but the interconnecting strap was too long.

Also, didn't want to hide the maroon detail on the rear fender, so after a lot of visualization, I was able to figure out how to attach them without additional hardware or modifications.

I already have the small bullet "police" lights from nfield gear.  Just looking for some time to get them installed.

If you get yours done before me, post the pic for some inspiration.

Oh.  I also don't have any inclination toward drilling any additional holes anywhere.

Cheers

The Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1311 on: January 13, 2012, 06:52:23 pm
Took a little couple of hundred mile ride with Jack yesterday. The weather was fantastic with highs in the mid 70s.
We went down Santiago Canyon to Live Oak Canyon, then proceeded to Ortega Highway and went on down to the the Avocado fields by Camp Pendleton. The roads all the way were spectacular and had been mostly repaved since I was last down there. Beautifl fairly narrow tight twisty roads with lots of ups and downs, the kind that have a nice tight turn at the top of a blind hill. Keeps it all interesting.
We dropped in to Old Towne Temecula for lunch, then went back up through Old town Murrieta, around Lake Elsinore, and up Temescal Canyon to the 91 Fwy. We split there and made our solo ways home.
Jack has a new Dunstall muffler on his bike, definitely makes better noise than the stocker. We had to have a roll-on rematch and he a far closer to me than with the original pipe. But he's bigger and 50 pounds heavier than I, so I still can edge him out. I suspect switching bikes might have a different flavor. There is a definite enhancements in performance with the after market pipes compared to the stock one, though.
My back has been a bit of a pain for a week or so. After putting on the trusty kidney belt and riding all day, the pain is gone today. These bikes are great therapy! And that's with the Ace bars and rearsets.
Bare
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:01:34 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1312 on: January 13, 2012, 07:39:07 pm
Thanks Desi,

They were "universal" throw over bags, but the interconnecting strap was too long.

Also, didn't want to hide the maroon detail on the rear fender, so after a lot of visualization, I was able to figure out how to attach them without additional hardware or modifications.

The Caseman

Very clean install.  If you could post some detail pics I'd love to see them.  I'd like to take another long trip this year or next and would love to mount some similar bags in the same non-invasive way.

Scott

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #1313 on: January 14, 2012, 01:38:10 pm
I've been wondering for a long time how to mount bags on my C5. Please do show some pics how you attached those bags and what make  were they as well. Where did you get them etc.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1314 on: January 17, 2012, 05:43:18 pm
"I've been wondering for a long time how to mount bags on my C5. Please do show some pics how you attached those bags and what make  were they as well. Where did you get them etc. "

I actually found them at Bud K, who sells discount bladed implements.  Came as part of a set of MC luggage.  They are patch leather, but made of buffalo hyde.  Nice for the price.

See attachment.

I separated the two pieces and ran the flap down between the fender and the fender top support.  I pulled the flap down past the bottom support and tied it off to the bottom two tie downs.

The other three tie downs were attached to appropriate points along the top fender rail.

I re posted the two pictures that show basically how this was done, however I re -tied the bags a bit neater and tighter since the initial install.

All in all, I am happy with the bags and install method.  I could have cut the throwover strap down to size, but I didn't want to cover up the rear mudguard.  This worked out fine.

Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1315 on: January 17, 2012, 06:19:59 pm
WAAAAY simpler than I would have expected.  Thanks!

Scott

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1316 on: January 17, 2012, 06:24:41 pm
No problem Scott.

Where there's a wheel, there's a way.

Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #1317 on: January 17, 2012, 11:26:23 pm
NEW EFI MUFFLER!!!!!YAY!!! 
Sounds killer now...like a bike, not a scooter!!!!!pop,pop,pop.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1318 on: January 17, 2012, 11:44:32 pm
NEW EFI MUFFLER!!!!!YAY!!! 
Sounds killer now...like a bike, not a scooter!!!!!pop,pop,pop.
[/quote     Like an Enfield should !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1319 on: January 22, 2012, 04:00:35 am
I did my 3750 mile maintenance 190 miles early today.

So far here are the problems I've had up to now:

Several of the little light bulbs in the running lights and the speedometer have burned out.  I replaced them with Sylvania bulbs.

The chrome plastic left rear turn signal and an internal failure that allowed the ground wire to loose its contact with the bulb socket.  I replaced all 4 signals with old style metal bullet signals.

The covering on the seat came loose on one side.  I re-glued it to the seat frame.

One bolt loosened up and after adding a drop of blue Loc-tite I retightened it.

The hose clamp on the rubber fuel line from the pump developed a leak.  Tightening the hose clamp fixed it.

The only thing I've found that I think is marginal is the chain.
Although I keep it lubricated and adjusted it once it does have quite a bit of looseness when I try to move it from side to side.
If it didn't have this side to side looseness I think it would go for another 4,000 miles.

All in all I think my bikes reliability has been much better than I expected and I am definitely a Happy Camper. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary