Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855355 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1260 on: December 18, 2011, 08:08:37 pm
I don't  go every year either.  Every 2 or 3 is about right for me.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1261 on: December 18, 2011, 11:06:49 pm
Busy schedule and bad weather have kept me off both the Enfield and the Guzzi. 

When is it NOT raining in Seattle ?

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1262 on: December 19, 2011, 01:02:32 am
RE has not made much of a presence at the Seattle show in the past few years.  Vince stopped going and Ducati Seattle only brings Ducs and maybe a scooter.  Maybe Kevin prodded them to bring some RE models. 

For me, there are not enough changes from year to year to make it worth the time and expense. 

The streets dried up here this afternoon, but I was visiting the nursing home to check on my ailing step-dad. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1263 on: December 19, 2011, 02:44:58 am
I went. It was a good show but smaller than a few years ago, fewer small companies and fewer vendors.  It was tough to keep tabs on my 2 year old and see the bikes.  I'll wait until he's a bit older before we go again.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1264 on: December 20, 2011, 12:41:13 am
I went. It was a good show but smaller than a few years ago, fewer small companies and fewer vendors.  It was tough to keep tabs on my 2 year old and see the bikes.  I'll wait until he's a bit older before we go again.

Scott
How about a quick report on the MC show?  Was RE represented?  Was Kevin M there?  Any new things coming out of Asia or Europe?  Any new rider gadgets that we might have to buy?   :D

Thanks.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1265 on: December 20, 2011, 01:46:23 am
I'll try to remember what was cool and interesting and post later.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1266 on: December 23, 2011, 10:46:08 pm
It is more "What didn't you do to your Royal Enfield today?" today.

After my 20 mile ride I parked the bike on its sidestand when I got home.
Nothing unusual about that but an hour later I decided to oil my chain so I put the bike onto its center stand.

After getting the chain oil (PJ-1) and some rags to wipe the chain I hunkered down and glanced at the oil level sight window.

Although the oil level is normally at the top line, there was just a speck of oil at the bottom of the window!  This is after the bike had been on its center stand for at least 5 minutes.   ???

No signs of oil leaks on the bottom of the engine and I couldn't see how it could have burned that much oil in one 20 mile trip.   ???

After grumbling a bit and wondering where the oil could have gone I went to get my oil and funnel and returned.  Oil level was still just a speck at the bottom.  ???

Now, I know when the bike is on the sidestand a lot of oil collects in the left hand side cover but I figured it would drain back into the main sump in this length of time.
Figuring that maybe it needed a little help, I started the bike and within less than a minute the oil in the side cover returned to the main sump and filled the sight window to the center of the window.   :)

Morel of the story?  Before adding more oil, if your bike has been resting on its sidestand, start the engine and let it run for a minute or so.
The "low oil level"  should return to close to its former level. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #1267 on: December 29, 2011, 11:40:59 pm
 ;D  Lubed the chain, started her up. Went down the road for some gas. Winter so far has been pretty mild here, but havent been doing much riding. :-[ Need to get down to the dealership to get that EFI pipe I have been putting off getting.

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #1268 on: December 30, 2011, 02:21:23 am
Your Not Going To Believe This !
          I just put some new Dunlop K-70's on my 2010 G5 Deluxe, 3.50 x 19 " on the rear, and 3.25 x 19 " on the front. I took the bike out for a ride to break them in. I run an 18 tooth counter shaft sprocket. The rear Dunlop has a larger diameter than the stock Avon, so my gearing was a little " taller ". The temperature outside was in the high 50's. I had a straight deserted road and decided to find out what it would do. I went through all 5 gears at full throttle and held full throttle in 5th until my speedometer indicated 92+ mph. !! It was still climbing, but I had to back off, as I was running out of road. I'm sure the speedometer is not that accurate, but STILL, what a rush !! The only modification I have is the EFI muffler. Maybe it was the new slant saddle bags I just put on that helped the aerodynamics !!

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1269 on: December 30, 2011, 03:39:15 am
Your Not Going To Believe This !
          I just put some new Dunlop K-70's on my 2010 G5 Deluxe, 3.50 x 19 " on the rear, and 3.25 x 19 " on the front. I took the bike out for a ride to break them in. I run an 18 tooth counter shaft sprocket. The rear Dunlop has a larger diameter than the stock Avon, so my gearing was a little " taller ". The temperature outside was in the high 50's. I had a straight deserted road and decided to find out what it would do. I went through all 5 gears at full throttle and held full throttle in 5th until my speedometer indicated 92+ mph. !! It was still climbing, but I had to back off, as I was running out of road. I'm sure the speedometer is not that accurate, but STILL, what a rush !! The only modification I have is the EFI muffler. Maybe it was the new slant saddle bags I just put on that helped the aerodynamics !!

Aside from the taller gearing what otehr differences did you notice? Do you prefer them to the stock Avons ?

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1270 on: December 30, 2011, 04:15:27 am
 Santa came again today, dressed in a U.P.S. uniform and brought me some goodies. A Dunstall replica muffler for my G5 and a pair of Alpinestar road boots.  I just finished installing the silencer and it sounds BEAUTIFUL. Took it for a spin and immediately noticed a whole lot more mid range. Going to take it for a quick canyon  run tomorrow and see how it does. Cant wait !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #1271 on: December 30, 2011, 02:27:11 pm
Hello GlennF,
       The two differences I noticed between the K-70's and the Avons were a smother ride, and more importantly, better cornering. The rear Avon is almost like a sidecar tire, and I didn't like the feeling when cornering. Also, I use to have Dunlop K-70's on my 68' BSA Victor, and also my 68' single-carb Triumph 650, so I'm very use to them. I've always felt these were the best tires for these  bikes and they are also great on the Enfield. This of course, is just my opinion !

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #1272 on: December 30, 2011, 03:49:47 pm
We just got back from visiting our son in Germany, and were gone from December 1 through 19, so for nearly three weeks I not only did nothing to my RE, I didn't even drive a car! (Probably the first time since I got my license in 1976 that I've gone that long without driving.)

But yesterday I gassed it up and rode to work. I've had a bad backache the last few days, so I almost didn't ride yesterday, and decided to bring the car today. That bunch of hay that blew off of a truck ahead made me glad I was in the car.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1273 on: December 30, 2011, 10:46:47 pm
Received a late Xmas present as well today.

New K & N performance air filter, some jazzy RE decals and a set of bullet turn signals.

Slapped in the new air filter and affixed a couple of Crown and Cannon emblems is strategic locations.  (battery box & right in the middle of the tail light housing)

Good quality rub on transfers.

The C5 Chrome does not come with the C & C.  Needed.

Did not get a chance to ride.

Caseman
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1274 on: December 30, 2011, 11:47:00 pm
Made it to the gas station today in prep for tomorrow's New year's Eve Ride with the Norton Club. The weather promises to be sunny near 60 in the mountains. Sould be a great turnout  Usally around 400 bikes show up for this one.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com