Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855417 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #885 on: August 25, 2011, 04:01:09 pm
The only reason you need to buy a tire is because you want one. The tire should be fine to continue riding on. Put a new tube in it and be off!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #886 on: August 25, 2011, 09:49:27 pm
I got my K70s mounted today. Now I have to put the wheels back on, but it's hot out there!
I bought new tires because I wanted to, and I want to see if these work better the Avons. Not so hot about them. Just don't like those ribbed fronts or the square profiled rear.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #887 on: August 26, 2011, 01:01:53 am
Today was my day off work so with the wonderful weather I went for a ride. Crossed over the  Ambassador bridge from Ontario into Detroit and caused some suspicion at the border with an inquisitive US Customs guard. He was all over my bike, stopping short of licking it. I had to open up all the compartments and such. Turns out he is a biker too, and hadnt seen a RE before. Methinks he might buy one now lol! I gave him the name of the local dealer in Detroit, Crawford Sales, might be a referral bonus for me if he buys one haha.  The ride went flawlessly on the bumpy roads of the forgotten, abandoned and decaying sections of Detroit. Cruised up the riverside past all the fancy houses and took the Sombra ferry back over to Canada. I must say the ferry ride was better than the open decking of the Ambassador Bridge. 200 miles of smiles today.

A ride through the cesspool. You got balls pilgrim !
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #888 on: August 26, 2011, 01:09:58 am
picked up a 3 inch nail at 55+ mph..tire went down in a second . bike went all over the road i kept it upright . pumped all my adrenelen . a harley guy gave me a ride home (3) miles. got my trailor  now i'm wondering if i should get a new tire.it's kinda worn, and i was thinking or taking it to steelville.

If it was that K81 you had at the Lanesboro rally you may want to replace it.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #889 on: August 27, 2011, 01:09:54 am
yahoo.. I striped my drain plug hole today. No big deal for me, I'll tend to it another day. I had a expansion plug on hand, but it was 5/8" so I trimmed it down a bit and nursed the bike to the local Canadian Tire auto parts and garden furniture store, bought a half inch one to make for a better seal.  I got some odd looks when I leaned the bike over on the left foot peg in the parking lot and swapped in the half inch without losing a drop of oil or gas.  One slow day I'll make a proper fix.  Oh and I also did some off roading along the dykes of the Thames river. Totaled about 50km in the foot peg long grass. You should have seen the pollen from the weeds all over the bike. LOL. And the centre and kick stands picked up a lot of grass, looked like a Royal Enfield Hula skirt edition when I got back to the pavement. Hahaha.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #890 on: August 27, 2011, 12:32:56 pm
Scrubbed off all the clear coat and emblems on the tank and rear guard, tidied up where I ground the pillion pegs off, touched up the frame, sprayed the tank and fender and had a look at stuffing a 140/90 18 under the rear, looks like she'll just fit

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #891 on: August 27, 2011, 10:58:31 pm
...had a look at stuffing a 140/90 18 under the rear, looks like she'll just fit

Is the stock rim wide enough to hold that size?  If you pinch a tire it tends to misshape and can handle weird.  Let me know though, I'd love to get more tire selection if we can fit something that big.

Scott

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #892 on: August 28, 2011, 06:50:36 am
The local dealer rides a 140/90/18 rear, but with a pillion it scrubs on the left hand upper frame loop.

Should have her on the road for a test at the end of the week, will let you know

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #893 on: August 28, 2011, 10:19:42 am
Is the stock rim wide enough to hold that size?  If you pinch a tire it tends to misshape and can handle weird.  Let me know though, I'd love to get more tire selection if we can fit something that big.

Scott

Hi Wokka! Congrats to your Military, as well as to your effords to rebuild it! I´m keen on seeing pics!
Unfortunately I have to note that your 1.85 rim is not nearly big enough to hold a 140/90-roller:
http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/tyrerim.htm
The flanks will be squeezed together and so the running surface will be distorted. As a result wear will be quickened and, even more important, the roadholding of a squeezed tyre will be unpredictable, considering the effects of temperature and wear. The steel structure will be under stress contantly.
The 140/90 is not even mentioned in the chart, but I guess you´d need at least a 2.50 rim and even that´ll be tight.
If you really like a fatter tyre, I´d recommend getting a bigger rim,  maybe a 2.50 fits in. But mounting a 140 may have dangerous effects.
Regards Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #894 on: August 28, 2011, 10:46:59 am
Hi Wokka! Congrats to your Military, as well as to your effords to rebuild it! I´m keen on seeing pics!
Unfortunately I have to note that your 1.85 rim is not nearly big enough to hold a 140/90-roller:
http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/tyrerim.htm
The flanks will be squeezed together and so the running surface will be distorted. As a result wear will be quickened and, even more important, the roadholding of a squeezed tyre will be unpredictable, considering the effects of temperature and wear. The steel structure will be under stress contantly.
The 140/90 is not even mentioned in the chart, but I guess you´d need at least a 2.50 rim and even that´ll be tight.
If you really like a fatter tyre, I´d recommend getting a bigger rim,  maybe a 2.50 fits in. But mounting a 140 may have dangerous effects.
Regards Maturin

Cheers Maturin, the beauty of all this is, the wheel and tyre combo's are all sitting at the workshop coming off various other bikes over the years, so it costs me nothing to find the right combo, both for aesthetics and safety/handling

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #895 on: August 28, 2011, 01:55:32 pm
Took my military out of the garage today and noticed a patina of dust clinging to pretty much the entire bike. Thought for about a second that I'd wash it down but realized that this dust covering was like a blessing from the detail gods. So I took it out for a quick ride along the lake shore to Sheffield and proceeded to get lost on some of the back roads. No worries though as I discovered some great new roads and areas to explore in the future. I also went over 1,500 miles on this trip with a big smile on my face when it did so.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #896 on: August 28, 2011, 06:31:06 pm
Made Some More Enfield Fans !
         I rode over to Half Moon Bay, Calif. to see an old friend of mine who owns a jewelry  store on Main Street. I parked my Black & Chrome G5 Deluxe on the side walk right in front of his store. While we were visiting, we began to draw a crowd. No one had seen a Royal Enfield and weren't aware of the history and availability ! Quite a variety of people, from young kids, some very nice looking ladies, and this old British cat who wanted to take my picture standing by the Enfield, with his tripod camera. I told him " No thanks, but I'll take YOUR picture with you by the bike. It was the happiest moment of his day, I'm sure ! I'm really trying to promote Royal Enfield and make people aware of where the dealerships are located. Makes my day to, to know that I'm spreading the joy !

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #897 on: August 28, 2011, 09:45:00 pm
This is my number plate my buddy is painting for me - gonna look so awesome on my front fender! In the meantime, I've installed an old-timey Ooga Klaxon horn on my G5, as well as some vanity license plates that read "RE500".
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #898 on: August 29, 2011, 03:00:38 am
After yesterday's FAIL for a long Guzz ride (see Campfire), I took the C5 out for a 153 mile ride today.  It was just about what I consider the perfect day for a UCE Royal Enfield.  I went north and out of Seattle and east and then south and came around back through Tacoma and the tide flats and back home at 6:45PM.

The best roads were in the country between 35 and 50 mph.  The heartbeat of the motor there is a slice of heaven.  Some freeway stuff at 65 was fine with me hunched over to help stability a little and also help keep the speed heading up from the valley to Federal Way on hwy 18.

The tank got 76mpg, bringing the overall mpg to 69mpg.  The C5 now has 2,730 miles.  The motor was really smooth and quiet, and the OEM torpedo almost silent.  Max Leight earplugs really get the job done!   ;D

This thing looks older than a Brit RE!

Fresh corn was available today.  Finally, local corn.  Those are my Royal Enfield gloves I got three years ago. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #899 on: August 30, 2011, 03:36:02 am
Reflecting on my post and yesterday's wonderful ride, I came to the conclusion that this Bullet UCE is worth keeping, despite the fears of things that might befall it.  There is another year of warranty on it so that is a plus.  The Moto Buzzi Breva might be better in almost every way, but there is something special about the Bullet.

The ride yesterday was a real high for me, that is still making me smile today.  I was not sore or overly (I am 60, you  know...) tired. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.