Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855315 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #765 on: August 06, 2011, 01:08:28 am
I got my new English EFI today to replace the bashed one. Probably R&R it tomorrow, not like it's going to take any time. 1/2 hour most. The old one is still working.
Bare
You just jinxed yourself.   ;)

Hopefully the bracket holes will line up properly.  It isn't always the case. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #766 on: August 06, 2011, 01:10:10 am
Kinda related to your story Desi but not REs.....  

I was awakened this morning to meowing kitties.  Thought I found a hairbal and that's why they woke me up.  I went to clean it up....  Wait a minute.... That's not a hairball, that's a dead bat!

I had left the screen open so they could get out to the porch and I gues he got in.  And I guess the cats didn't like it so they 'took care of him' and were just coming by to brag in the morning.  Weird thing to wake up to.  Even weirder since I got to bed way late and was really groggy this morning.

Scott

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #767 on: August 06, 2011, 01:13:22 am
Hey, did anyone else find that the builders in Chennai signed their bikes?  I have two signitures on the inside of my muffler bracket.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #768 on: August 06, 2011, 02:56:43 am
They signed mine, either that or its some sort of Q.C. sign off.
 I will post pics as soon as I can
No matter where you go, there, you are.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #769 on: August 06, 2011, 03:03:37 am
They signed mine, either that or its some sort of Q.C. sign off.
 I will post pics as soon as I can
Yup. Not unusual to see little QC stickers inside lights brackets, mufflers etc.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #770 on: August 06, 2011, 03:44:30 am
Yeah, found a sig in a few places. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #771 on: August 07, 2011, 01:47:06 am
I took the C5 for a "slow-speed" cruise of about 45 miles.  Upon fillup for the tank (89 octane, non-ethanol) the reading showed 76.2mpg (US).  The last two tank fillups had 87 octane "real"gas in them.  That's great mileage!

Compare that to my new Guzzi's 51mpg yesterday.  The baby Breva now has 190 miles and I'm lovin' it.  It is such a pleasure to get on it and just go with no destination in mind.  The slightly leaning forward with high footpegs is perfect for me.  I did 85 miles last night after dinner and could have done more, but those yellow signs with prancing deers on them give me reason for pause.

The C5 is harder on my 60-year old back, even with the nicely sprung solo seat and footpegs back two notches from stock setting.  My back is still sore after the ride.  My wife quipped "So, the old man's bike is not so comfortable for the old man, huh?"  Gotta love her!   ;D

So it appears this beautiful bike will be up for sale sooner than later.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #772 on: August 07, 2011, 02:12:18 am
I went out for a nice 4 hours long ride on back highways.  Lots of fun though I started so early I got to my favorite lunch spot way too early for lunch.  Oh well. 

I also stopped by the shop to check on our plans for another ride tomorrow and it just so happened everyone going was there so we made our plans. 

I stopped at the Moto Guzzi shop on the way home to see the V7.  The tank is amazingly narrow from the top, not something I expected.  The bike is comfortable but feels somehow heavy.  Maybe I'm just too used to the low center of gravity on the C5.

Finally I stopped and got some new grips to put on later today.  All in all, a very good day of riding.

Scott

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #773 on: August 07, 2011, 03:20:52 am
A while back I installed a new Ace air filter and the "Classic British 50's-style" exhaust from our hosts. I initially ordered the Indian exhaust. No word after a week, called and found the Indian exhaust was on back order, possibly months away. Didn't want to wait so I ordered the British exhaust. After installation of the exhaust and filter, along with some re-jetting, very happy with the performance and feel (though I've heard the Indian exhaust sounds better).

Today was finally time for new tires. Still had the original Speedmaster and SM on and the front was getting thin, not to mention they should have been replaced years ago just because of age. I wanted to replace them with Dunlop K70's. Local bike shop had the front (3.25 x 19) in stock and and the rear (3.50 x 19) had to be ordered and was in in just a few days. Picked them up this morning along with new tubes, rim strips and tire irons.

Now I've never replaced m/c tires before so watched a few you tube videos for some tips. I was surprised to see Dunlop tubes (made in India). No problem replacing the tires, used a round plastic trash can to change the tires on, worked pretty well. Only slipped off twice  :D. And Windex makes a good tire lube!

The only problem I had was after removing the front wheel, I was lowering the forks to the floor (with the bike on the center stand). If you've changed tires on an Enfield classic with the bike on the center stand, you know what happened next. Stand folded up and came down on the forks. I had some padding where the forks were going down so the only thing that hit were the bottom of the forks. Not the exhaust, engine or anything else. After asking the neighbor to help me lift the bike back up on the center stand and placing a scissors jack under the down tube everything was OK.

I only went for a short ride after the new tires were on so I don't have a feel for them yet, but I think I'll like them.  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:35:00 am by daves02ES »
2002 Bullet ES

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #774 on: August 07, 2011, 04:02:36 am
I had the same thing happen on my old Kawasaki when I (stupidly) removed both for caps at once.  It popped out, bike went forward and rolled off the stand.  Since then I tie the centerstand to the frame if I'm taking off the front wheel.

Glad you had no damage and no one got hurt.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #775 on: August 07, 2011, 05:37:49 am
I stopped at the Moto Guzzi shop on the way home to see the V7.  The tank is amazingly narrow from the top, not something I expected.  The bike is comfortable but feels somehow heavy.  Maybe I'm just too used to the low center of gravity on the C5.
...Scott
I noticed too the narrowness of the V7C gas tank.  Old-style Guzzi.  The seat is a brick.  You might ask if they have any NOS Breva's.  I like the V7 looks but much prefer the Breva ride.  Moto.Int. just got in a 2007 black Breva that will be priced like mine.  They get them from defunct dealers, clean them up, and sell them.  They sold FOUR white V7 Classics this week.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #776 on: August 07, 2011, 09:38:18 am
The Breva is a nice bike but way too much going on for me.  I like things very minimalist.  Even the rear end on the V7 looks crazy.  All those awesome castings and the shaft drive, way fancy stuff.  It's all academic right now anyway, it's not like I have the money.  I'm just scoping out options for maybe a few years down the line.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #777 on: August 07, 2011, 04:43:30 pm
Hopefully the bracket holes will line up properly.  It isn't always the case. 

The bracket on the English EFI is totally adjustable. A bracing arm attached to a slot with the other end going to a hole it the frame. The muffler and be moved back and forth or up and down quite a bit with the bracing arm easily adjustable to your desired position. In fact, one of the reasons I got the EFI instead of the fixed mount upswept pipe.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #778 on: August 07, 2011, 11:19:30 pm
The bracket on the English EFI is totally adjustable. A bracing arm attached to a slot with the other end going to a hole it the frame. The muffler and be moved back and forth or up and down quite a bit with the bracing arm easily adjustable to your desired position. In fact, one of the reasons I got the EFI instead of the fixed mount upswept pipe.
Bare
WIsh I knew that before I plunked $300 for the backfarty upswept exhaust.  But I admit I now prefer the OEM torpedo.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #779 on: August 08, 2011, 01:31:00 am
I met up with some buds and we did an RE ride through the country roads east of Vancouver, WA.  After a few hours of riding we were heading for a 50's diner when we happened upon a car show the diner was hosting in the parking lot next door.  We parked and became 'participants' in the show and got gift certificates for lunch at the diner.  It was pretty lucky, nice folks at that diner. 

Learned a few things:
1) Even the stock exhaust sounds really good when you're roaming along in a pack of 6 REs.
2) The EFI exhaust if firckin' loud when you get on the gas.  We made Bill ride in the back of the pack most of the day.
3) The Speedmaster rear on the G5 looks really skinny from the back compared to the AM26.
4) Any road that follows a river is good.

Scott