Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855393 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #720 on: July 31, 2011, 05:44:27 am
I like the looks of the Breva. Today I rode about 50 miles. Mileage on the new engine is 61mpg. The gear shift feels a bit stiff. A couple of missed shifts. I expect I'll be back over 70 mpg once everything is broken in.

Swapped in an NGK plug for the Bosch. Idle went up a couple hundred.

+1 to the Breva, improving mpg, and NGK.  You'll get the shifting knack soon!  :)
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #721 on: July 31, 2011, 06:53:24 am
I put 3700 miles on the first engine, this one is just a bit tight but I look forward to loosening things up.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #722 on: July 31, 2011, 06:00:44 pm
I headed out for the BSA Club ride this morning after watching the Hungarian GP. I listened to a brief thundershower while the race was on, but it looked like it was clearing up, so I left about 7:45 for Highland. I ran up the 57 to the 60 and headed east. I could see some virga off to my left over the mountains, then looking ahead it was starting to get darker. I started running into some sprinkle about Central Ave and then began seeing some lightning ahead of me. The freeway was dry, but the sprinkles were getting harder and with the porridge pot on, they were beginning to smart. I pulled of the freeway at Mountain Ave and the side streets were really wet, so I started back home on the streets so I could at least get a little Canyon riding in. I figured it would dry out heading back west and south, but it only kept getting harder. I got into the canyon and it was still raining, so I figured it was a good place for a Photo op.
Took the pics and went on home. Still raining out there! It doesn't rain in Cantafordia in July!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #723 on: August 01, 2011, 02:01:33 am
Still raining out there! It doesn't rain in Cantafordia in July!
Bare

No rain up north! Met with 1Thump and did about 200 miles through the hills. Some drama re: his fuel consumption. He is running a Fireball on E85. Nobody sells the stuff! Good thing the second hundred miles was down hill. Fun ride! I took some video and now I have to figure out what to do with it.

Changed the oil and filter. Repsol 10-50 full synth. I figure if it is good enough for MotoGP it should work in a Royal Enfield. OK, I'm a victim of advertising but at least they support motorcycling.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #724 on: August 01, 2011, 01:34:44 pm
Rode it to a local bike mechanic, who had a listen to it and thought it sounded like a stuck/ faulty hydraulic tappet. He's booked up for a couple of weks so I booked it in for then. I phoned the dealer who said they'd stand by the warranty and supply new parts as required, provided I returned the faulty parts to them.
Noticed on the way home the neutral light is now on all the time! It was raining, but that's no excuse - just another thing gone wrong on what I'm fast beginning to regard as this shit heap of a bike.....
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #725 on: August 01, 2011, 03:14:04 pm
just another thing gone wrong on what I'm fast beginning to regard as this shit heap of a bike.....

Man - you are having a tough go.  I know the feeling.  And then all of a sudden it'll ride great and fool you into another period of love.  These Enfields are like a real moody woman (or man... depending).

Prof Stack... I just got the upsweep adapter.  Looks like I'm gonna have to hack off a bit of my header or the Megaphone will stick out past the rear tire.  Yours install easy enough?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #726 on: August 01, 2011, 03:54:52 pm
There are two adapters available here - the one from Watsonian is too long and requires a bit to be sawn off the front pipe. But Hitchcocks sell one which is exactly the right size and will fit right on with no cutting.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #727 on: August 01, 2011, 04:15:36 pm
Prof Stack... I just got the upsweep adapter.  Looks like I'm gonna have to hack off a bit of my header or the Megaphone will stick out past the rear tire.  Yours install easy enough?
I had to install mine using the OUTSIDE of the rear footpeg as the bracket holder, so the pipe was farther out.  It might have stuck out a little but I have the OEM torpedo back on again. 

Advice:  Put a new exhaust "donut" gasket on the headpipe and use some gasket maker or sealer on the joint between the headpipe and upswept portion.  Also, get a longer heat shield (try Bent Bike or other accessory places) or you WILL leave part of your pant or riding pants on the muffler.  I know these very well.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #728 on: August 01, 2011, 06:24:41 pm
Rode it to a local bike mechanic, who had a listen to it and thought it sounded like a stuck/ faulty hydraulic tappet. He's booked up for a couple of weks so I booked it in for then. I phoned the dealer who said they'd stand by the warranty and supply new parts as required, provided I returned the faulty parts to them.
Noticed on the way home the neutral light is now on all the time! It was raining, but that's no excuse - just another thing gone wrong on what I'm fast beginning to regard as this shit heap of a bike.....
So sorry to hear about your problems.  The only real problem mine has had was some wiring disconnects, now fixed.  The other stuff was more about learning about the bike (ie. tire pressure, exhaust gaskets,etc.).

I remember the then-prez of a local vintage bike club telling me that the Enfields were POS.  I laughed and knew he meant the iron barrel versions.  But it is clear that even the UCE is not without teething problems.  Good luck with yours.

jlehberger1

• Scooter
Reply #729 on: August 01, 2011, 07:11:57 pm
Commuted to work, joyously riding my C5 Military.
~J

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #730 on: August 01, 2011, 07:42:30 pm
Also, get a longer heat shield (try Bent Bike or other accessory places) or you WILL leave part of your pant or riding pants on the muffler.  I know these very well.

Or leg!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #731 on: August 01, 2011, 08:17:29 pm
Thanks Prof. Not so much teething problems as long-term shortcomings coming to light I fear..... It's a great bike to ride, we all know it - but the longer I have it the less I trust it I'm afraid. Sprag replaced twice. Starter relay replaced twice. Let's not even remember the sheared off brake shaft.....
Friday bike perhaps.
(but I better shut up  -  such posts can cause whole threads to mysteriously vanish.....)
I am hoping faith will be restored along with the tappets....... I actually do still love the beautiful but treacherous bastard regardless..... :-\

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #732 on: August 01, 2011, 09:58:24 pm
Will, I understand your feelings 110% as you will probably already know from previous conversations. I have booked mine in for another electrical session as the problems mount - no point in taking a day off over one issue when there will be another a couple of weeks down the line. My current issues are no electric starting - I have lost count of the number of times that's happened though I suppose if I count up two sprag clutches, a relay, the sidestand switch and clutch switch I'll get an idea - plus the neutral light comes on every time I pull the clutch in and the rear brake light packed up. I sorted the latter myself though. The neutral light issue is clutch switch related cos if I disconnect the clutch switch it goes away but equally the bike won't then start. I suspect your neutral light issue has the same roots. I also agree it is just the nature of the beast rather than a Friday bike. Very poor build quality that shows itself after a time. And like you, I still love riding it but only now for a 50 miles on a Sunday - reliable everyday transport, (as Watsonian once advertised it as), it is certainly not.  :(

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #733 on: August 01, 2011, 10:55:48 pm
You guys who have had the Starter solenoid problems might want to look elsewhere for the gadgets. They all do the same thing and would be easy enough to wire in. If I were having trouble with the solenoid, I'd be looking at other bikes or even small cars. The Enfield ones seem pretty small, a slightly bigger one might help. Even the high amperage wiring from the battery to the starter might be enlarged a bit. That should be one of the most reliable items on the bike. Now the sprag clutch, can't help you on that one, but if the rest of the starter circuit were more reliable, may the sprag would be too.
Just some suggestions.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #734 on: August 01, 2011, 11:42:18 pm
You guys who have had the Starter solenoid problems might want to look elsewhere for the gadgets. They all do the same thing and would be easy enough to wire in. If I were having trouble with the solenoid, I'd be looking at other bikes or even small cars. The Enfield ones seem pretty small, a slightly bigger one might help. Even the high amperage wiring from the battery to the starter might be enlarged a bit.
Bare

+1.  After first replacing the battery my no-start problem resurfaced.  I got a generic ATV/scooter solenoid and it's working just fine now.  If I have a repeat I'll look into a Ford car solenoid.  They are huge and very generic with two low amperage lines to activate and two high amperage lines to run juice to the starter.  As mentioned, using larger gauge high current lines can make a marginally starting bike turn over like magic.  Motos from many manufacturers tend to have small high current lines on the starter.

Scott