Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855459 times)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #705 on: July 28, 2011, 02:09:33 am
Don't get the grease up too high so as to not goober up the speedo.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #706 on: July 28, 2011, 02:48:17 am
Gone.  I don't carry around hot dogs.  Maybe a granola bar or something, but those fit in my pocket.  I like seeing the entire rear tire.  If I could tuck the battery away, like with the iron barrel relocation kit, then I would ditch the side covers too.
I like the look of the open loop without the sausage tins.  Did you just cut out the backing plate and hardware?

A battery relocation would be fairly simple.  Just make a tray out of cardboard or mattboard and use a hot glue gun to put it together and add tabs to bolt it someplace.  Then take the mock up to someone who can weld one up in steel.  The BMW R75/5 for the first couple years before the toaster tank had a battery transversly mounted behind the engine without covers and I think it looks great.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #707 on: July 28, 2011, 03:40:54 pm
Ya, I'd really just like to rotate it 90 degrees and send it back as far as it can go.  I like how on the RE Continental and Cafe racer kit there is a nice round fairing cover for the battery.  Thanks for great idea, using cardboard to mock it up.

You simply just unbolt the backing covers for the hot dog holders.  I didn't cut the tabs off.  I used one for mounting my megaphone.  Someday I'll probably cut'm loose.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #708 on: July 30, 2011, 01:05:47 am
I finally got the J-3 Cubby nee Beast back together enough to ride it again! After being rear ended a few weeks ago, then pitching it off the side of the road, I was needing a few bits. It's amazing how slow parts are forthcoming nowadays! I still need the  stock bars, front fender, headllight surround for the Tribar, an EFI muffler, right switch box, and tail light.
I got enough pieces though to be able to ride it again, after market bars were the most important. I used the original headlight, repainted the casquette and hand hold bar and straightened out the footpegs and other bits.
Anyway I took it out for a checkride and all went well for about 5 miles, then it started cutting out severely, the popping and banging, then quit. It finally restarted, sounding pretty good as i head home, for a mile or so, then started crapping out again. I nrsed it on home and as I was pulling into the garage, it quit again. I went into the house for a drink and the opportunity to mull over what was wrong with it, as I had done some extracurricular work on it and played with several connections. I was getting ready to pull some side panels, when for whatever reason that escapes me...as most things are wont to do nowadays, I grabbed the spark plug lead and it was loose--really loose. It was just bouncing up and down on the plug. Stuck it back on and got in a successful twenty mile ride through the twisties. Feels so good!
It does vibrate through the handlebars a bit more than with the stock ones. I'll havta figure out how to cure that.
But there is that BSA Club ride Sunday.!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #709 on: July 30, 2011, 01:54:52 am
Cruised Yonge street in Toronto, sitting right now at the Hard Rock Cafe parked in a line up of harleys and crotch rockets... and what bike is garnering all the attention...  Hahaha!
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #710 on: July 30, 2011, 02:02:31 am
Rode for 52 miles in nice Seattle morning sun.  I blasted to Sea-Tac and beyond and determined a couple of things:
(1) The upswept muffler adds sound, backfires and maybe a 1/2hp.  The OEM muffler adds a cat converter for cleaner emissions, quieter ride, and road hugging weight.
(2) I want more power than the UCE can give.  Solutions are in the works.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
No matter where you go, there, you are.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #712 on: July 30, 2011, 06:46:42 am

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #713 on: July 30, 2011, 08:56:40 pm
Today, after some nice riding in and around town the C5 came back with 70.5MPG for the tank, refilling again with 87-octane non-ethanol gasoline. 

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #714 on: July 30, 2011, 09:00:14 pm
Like the Guzzi Prof.. Also like Ices Idea about the 535. Someone hassta be the quinea pig.  ;)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #715 on: July 30, 2011, 10:43:33 pm
No, I was thinkng more along these lines:

I have the Guzzi Cafe Classic and it is a thoroughly absorbing ride and though in a very soft tune for a 750 still twice as powerful as the Enfield. It's far more relaxing for holding 70-80 over long distances but I still enjoy the Enfieild a lot for 50 miles on a Sunday afternoon.

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #716 on: July 31, 2011, 12:23:01 am
I just got 75 mpg. with my last tank full. The bike is at 900 miles now so that's pretty impressive if you ask me. By the way, how do you lube the cables on the bike? Just wondering?
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #717 on: July 31, 2011, 12:52:42 am
Like the Guzzi Prof.. Also like Ices Idea about the 535. Someone hassta be the quinea pig.  ;)

I'm trying ;D just need a bunch of time and money.  :-[
No matter where you go, there, you are.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #718 on: July 31, 2011, 01:05:55 am
I have the Guzzi Cafe Classic and it is a thoroughly absorbing ride and though in a very soft tune for a 750 still twice as powerful as the Enfield. It's far more relaxing for holding 70-80 over long distances but I still enjoy the Enfieild a lot for 50 miles on a Sunday afternoon.
Good comments, well stated.  I just test-rode a white V7C for about 18 miles, mixed freeway and city streets.  The seat must have cement under it, wow what a brick.  I think your cafe seat is better.  The brakes squealed and under 30mph there was an interesting left/right/left/right weave.  Never felt that before.  Power was nice compared to the C5.  Duh.  I might try a Breva 750 next week.

The ride home on the C5 was smooth, comfortable, and quite relaxed. 

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #719 on: July 31, 2011, 02:23:32 am
I like the looks of the Breva. Today I rode about 50 miles. Mileage on the new engine is 61mpg. The gear shift feels a bit stiff. A couple of missed shifts. I expect I'll be back over 70 mpg once everything is broken in.

Swapped in an NGK plug for the Bosch. Idle went up a couple hundred.