Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855473 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #690 on: July 26, 2011, 06:27:26 pm
@Bare, yes, that's an older style engine but we have the same mechanicals in the UCE.  We have adjustable lash standard, not sure it was standard on all older engines.

@Will, it's very easy to pull the tank off and remove the valve covers.  Do it.  See if there's something obvious on the top end.

To remove the tank, remove the fuel line and cap the outlet (not really needed, it doesn't leak, I just like to be safe).  Disconnect the fuel pump and low fuel sensor electrical lines.  Remove the 2 large bolts at the front and back of the tank.  Put a towel over the tank at the front to protect it from the yolk and lift it off.  With a G5 I think you may need to remove the seat, not on a C5 though.

If you wanted to secure the tank near the seat and hook it up I bet you could run the engine with the valve covers off.  It may make an oily mess but might  give you some insight.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #691 on: July 26, 2011, 06:39:34 pm
I did that Scott, before the bike went to Watsonian last time. It all looked good, oil squirting where it should.
I think the trouble's in the bowels somewhere..... (not mine - the bike's...) ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #692 on: July 26, 2011, 07:33:12 pm
 Will , this may sound crazy. But sometimes  an exhaust leak at the head pipe/ head connection can sound like a valve tap, or valve noise. It's worth a look. Just had it happen to me on a bike I was working on, not an RE, but you never know.  It may get worse as it heats up.

Did you ever find out what that mysterious metal piece was?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #693 on: July 26, 2011, 07:55:36 pm
GHG - I did wonder (hope) if it might be something so simple - I know a leak from the top of the exhaust can sound similar, so I got a new exhaust gasket from Hitchcocks and fitted it at the weekend. Alas, it made no difference. And the old one didn't look as though it had been blowing out of the side.
The mysterious metal lumps were never explained, but because the sprag was found to be faulty I just assumed they'd come from there. I did ask the person who phoned from Watsonian to tell me the bike was coming home, but he was just vague about it. They also told me they'd ridden the bike and it was running fine, but I guess they didn't get it warmed up enough. It is running fine, but I just don't feel confident about a long weekend away trip on it until this clattering is diagnosed and fixed.
I'm aware that Watsonian did me a favour by collecting the bike and not charging anything (2nd year of warranty - parts only!), but I wish they hadn't stopped at the sprag. That wasn't the problem! I don't feel I have much leverage, and will probably end up doing it myself or finding a local bike mechanic to have a go at it.
No reply from Watsonian yet.....

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #694 on: July 27, 2011, 02:04:45 am
 Damn........... :-\   Welp , that bit, particularly that hooked one, sure didn't look like it came from sprag..........  ???
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #695 on: July 27, 2011, 08:35:29 am
No, I'm dubious too. I can't help thinking there's some component in there with a bit sheared off, hanging on by a thread and a prayer, flopping around and making all that racket......
There were no symptoms of a failing sprag, but Watsonian say that's what they found, and so they replaced it.
What's puzzling is why on earth they should think it had anything at all to do with that rackety engine noise! ???
They don't seem keen to have another look (still no response to 2 emails)..... :-\

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #696 on: July 27, 2011, 02:15:50 pm
I´ve had a similar noise and a similar emerging, just suddenly happening during medium revs and medium speed. It sounded as if someone had been throwing a handfull of spare nuts into the cylinder head, very similar to your video, Will. I was pretty sure that this rattle came from the head, though it was quite load so a foolproof diagnosis wasn´t possible. I gave it to the dealer who opened up the head.
I had some serious troubles with my dealer during this period of time, so I´m not 100% sure if all he told me is entirely true. However, he claimed the following: the rocker shaft clearance was too big, and the mechanic adjusted it using Yamaha shims. The reason, why the clearance suddenly enlarged is unknown. It may be suspected, that a casting burr broke and opened a gap - but the mechanic said actually he has no idea and didn´t see it before.
Since then the clatter is much less noisy - but still there. I suspect, that to be on the safe side the foreman adjusted the clearance a little too big. I decided, though, to follow Scott´s motto "Ride more, worry less". Having 11 month of warranty left helps me to keep cool. And if the rocker arms dig themselves into the valve stem, I hope the spareparts will not be too expensive  ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:18:57 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #697 on: July 27, 2011, 03:36:45 pm
I remember your story, Maturin.  When my bike came back from Watsonian, my thinking also was "what the hell - just ride it".  But that noise, which is there all the time, all rpm, is more and more to the fore.
I can only force myself to stay in denial for so long......
It sounds as though I'm riding a fifty year old clapped out piece of crap that's never been serviced or oiled!  In fact it's a 16 month old bike that's been well maintained from new.

No response at all from Watsonian, so today I went looking for a motorbike place I'd heard of, up some country lane about ten miles away. As soon as I entered the yard I knew I was in the right kind of place - 2 Enfields (1 Redditch & 1 Indian), a BSA (Lightning I think), a nice old Bonneville and sundry other bikes were in and around the workshop. I'd actually ridden there on the 650, as I was going on to Plymouth after, but the guy listened to my story and said if I brought the Enfield in on monday, he'd have a good listen to it & give his opinion.
So I feel I've at least taken a positive step, and hopefully the mystery will be solved and put to rest before too long.....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:40:56 pm by WillW »

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #698 on: July 27, 2011, 04:19:08 pm
Well it aint a UCE but I did get to some modifications this weekend.  New bars and grips and grips.  Finally a Clubman.

This photo, plus the one after it for a closer look at the bars/grips.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=3572

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #699 on: July 27, 2011, 05:44:39 pm
Oh, VERY nice!
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #700 on: July 27, 2011, 08:15:10 pm
Gorgeous! Where did the hotdog holders go?

elwoodpdowd2

• Scooter
Reply #701 on: July 27, 2011, 08:59:23 pm
Will W,
Best wishes for a satisfactory and inexpensive resolution to your problem on Monday.
Elwood

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #702 on: July 27, 2011, 09:02:55 pm
Thanks Elwood. I'll report back of course, as soon as there's news

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #703 on: July 27, 2011, 09:12:41 pm
Thanks!

Gorgeous! Where did the hotdog holders go?

Gone.  I don't carry around hot dogs.  Maybe a granola bar or something, but those fit in my pocket.  I like seeing the entire rear tire.  If I could tuck the battery away, like with the iron barrel relocation kit, then I would ditch the side covers too.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:15:28 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #704 on: July 28, 2011, 01:59:34 am
My RE now has over 1000 miles on it so to celebrate the event I removed the inner  speedometer cable from the lower end of its housing and gave its full length a nice liberal coating of lightweight grease.
That ought to keep it happy for another couple of thousand miles.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary