Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855417 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #675 on: July 26, 2011, 03:02:46 am
Though this has probably been mentioned already, could it be the auto-decompressor?  I lowered my idle to spec recently and heard it once or twice while starting up.  It is a dang awful and loud metallic clack.  I think there was report of one on here that went bad and was disabled by the dealer. 

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #676 on: July 26, 2011, 07:28:16 am
@ Ice -  I'd been looking at the workshop manual diagram of the hydraulic tappets - clever little blighters, but a lot of small moving parts to go wrong! I am reassured by your words though - thanks .

@ Scott - definitely not the autocompressor, which as you say is a loud clack and occurs at start up. My engine noise is continuous, not as loud, and worse when warm.

@ Arizoni - I agree it's somewhere in the valve train. If it's oil starvation it's not because the screen or filter are clogged - I'm scrupulous about oill & filter changes. I appreciate your thoughts and will pass them on to Watsonian today. Hopefully this, and a mention of the forum input generally, will spur them to action!

In the workshop manual I also found this - "After the first 500 miles the backlash between the cam gears must be checked. If a slight cam noise is observed...." it goes on to describe how to adjust backlash in both inlet & exhaust cam gears. Yet I've never seen or heard this mentioned anywhere else as part of the servicing schedule! Might this be the culprit do you think?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:21:26 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #677 on: July 26, 2011, 08:29:07 am
Might this be the culprit do you think?

Make the adjustment and see if it works!  Can't hurt. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #678 on: July 26, 2011, 10:37:46 am
I've been having a look at the procedure in the workshop manual (05-16).  It's the same route in to inspect the hydraulic tappets, and it involves more dismantling than I'm willing to do unless I absolutely have to - also needs special magneto removing tool.
I'll wait to see what Watsonian say about it first.
If it comes to it, it'll have to be a kitchen table project over the winter.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #679 on: July 26, 2011, 02:32:58 pm
One thing to keep in mind, the lash adjustment must be made early on, 500 miles I think.  After that things take a set and you can't really adjust it any more.  I believe it states this in the manual.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #680 on: July 26, 2011, 03:25:12 pm
I didn't find out about this adjustment until I started ploughing through the workshop manual. There's no mention of it in the owner's manual, so I guess it never gets done!  I've not heard of anyone here doing it......?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #681 on: July 26, 2011, 05:01:51 pm
Same here, never really heard much mention of it.  I have to ask my mechanic if it was done on my bike (bought with 1000 miles on it already).  I was really worried at 1500 miles, don't really think about it at all now at 7500.

I'm not sure where I read this but what I recall is that it needs to be done once around 500 miles and you can't wait too much longer.  If you do it's too late.  If you don't do it you may get some noise but I don't think it will do any harm.  You can make an adjustment later but I think this is usually just a temporary fix and the noise is likely to return.

You may want to check the Indian forums and the iron/AVL lists as well.  I think the mechanics of this are the same as on the UCE.  I'll see if I can find the original reference.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #682 on: July 26, 2011, 05:15:37 pm
Since you mentioned that the mag needs to be removed, that has to be an old iron barrel adjustment. There is no mag on the UCEs. And no mention of it in the UCE books.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #683 on: July 26, 2011, 05:15:55 pm
This thread explains things a bit.  Because pressure on the cam gear is one way while it opens the valve and the other while it closes, the teeth tend to wear and slap against each other at the transition.  Adjustable cam gears (that all UCE bikes have) can help mitigate this if adjusted early on.  If you wait until the gears are too worn it won't really help.

I think this is worth pursuing Will.  You could so some diagnosis just with a screwdriver.  Hold the metal end against the engine and the handle to your ear, it works like a stethoscope.  This can help you pin down if the noise is in the cam gear area.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the manual say to adjust the lash but never gives a spec on what to adjust it to?  Maybe I was tired when I was reading that section.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/48702-enfield-bullet-cam-gear-backlash-solutions-including-adjustable-cam-spindles.html

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #684 on: July 26, 2011, 05:27:50 pm
Notice that thread starts in 2008, probably would not apply to a UCE, although it does have the adjustable spindle, but doesn't have the mag gear driving off it. Again, there is nothing in the "service manual" about it other than on engine assembly.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #685 on: July 26, 2011, 05:43:18 pm
Bare  -  it's a "magneto removing tool to remove rotor assembly". Page 05-16 efi workshop manual.
Scott - thanks for the link, some interesting info.
I tried the screwdriver listening technique back when this all started, and several ltimes since, but I just can't get a definite location - just the usual collection of rumbles & whirs. Now that the ticking is also present from cold, I tried just listening with my ear right up close to the engine, and I'd say the sound is loudest from the black painted cylinder area, and not from the rocker covers as I previously thought. I can't get that actual ticking to come through the "stethoscope" though.

No, no spec given for lash adjustment. Shims I think
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 05:45:57 pm by WillW »

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #686 on: July 26, 2011, 05:50:58 pm
@WillW - It really does sound like valve train noise. Has the right hand engine cover ever been off? If so it may have been put back with some kind of goop that is blocking the oil passages. If oil pressure is low the valve lifters won't work properly.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #687 on: July 26, 2011, 05:58:52 pm
The RH cover has been off, but this started before then, suddenly during an evening ride.
Since then I have changed the sprocket and then changed it back, so it's been off twice, but both times I was aware of the oil passages and only used a bit of grease on the gasket.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #688 on: July 26, 2011, 06:10:03 pm
Good that's not it. I forgot- is it intermittent or all the time?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #689 on: July 26, 2011, 06:11:50 pm
It's all the time, although seems occasionaly to miss a beat. First it was only when the engine warmed up, now it's all the time, louder when hot.