Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855265 times)

Alaska Mike

• Scooter
Reply #570 on: July 12, 2011, 03:37:50 am
Scott,

I'm right at 2000 miles. I use the bike as my daily commuter (about 100 miles every day) and it seems that on the highway, usually on the way home, I have the darndest time getting it to stick in 4th, and th gear at times. Then when at highway speess or accelerating to highway speeds, it will slip out and I have to frantically search for 5th gear again because there isn't a positive click that is sticking.

Ce la vie -
Stay Safe!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #571 on: July 12, 2011, 04:16:24 am
...here is another PDF (Adobe) link to an extensive paper written about lubricating oils.
http://www.motor-oil-engineers.com/Motor%20Oil%20Engineers%20PDF.pdf

I think if one manages to read thru it they can give themselves a college credit for one semester hour in "Lubricating Oil 101".   There will be a test at the end of the semester.   ;D

This 110 page book by Dave Mann is written as if he is giving a lecture in a class room or giving a seminar. The author is all in favor of synthetic oil and Amsoil - as if he worked for them. Interesting book for background.

Wish he had some graphs and some real chemistry with structures - without which it appears 'talk' rather than science. In one of the chapters he say "There are numerous very complex chemicals that are used as oxidation inhibitors and it is not my intention to go into the detail of what these chemicals actually are in this book".. Instead of this 30+word sentence, if he had named 3 or 4 chemicals that would have been much more beneficial - because the reader can then do his own research. Since he did not name a single oxidation inhibitor used in oils, it is a pretty dead-end 'talk'.  

Did learn a few things - hey after all there are over 100 pages !  Thanks Arizoni.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:09:07 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #572 on: July 12, 2011, 05:36:59 am
Your welcome and I agree.
I much prefer books/reports/charts etc. that give actual data rather than personal opinions so I can decide if the information has merit based on verifiable information.

Opinions, as we all know are like certain parts of the lower GI tract.  Everyone has one.  ;D

On the other hand, your a better man than I (or you have incurable insomnia) if you made it thru that entire document without falling asleep.  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #573 on: July 12, 2011, 05:38:15 am
I'm right at 2000 miles. I use the bike as my daily commuter (about 100 miles every day) and it seems that on the highway, usually on the way home, I have the darndest time getting it to stick in 4th, and th gear at times. Then when at highway speess or accelerating to highway speeds, it will slip out and I have to frantically search for 5th gear again because there isn't a positive click that is sticking.

What oil are you using?  When was your last oil change?

Scott

Alaska Mike

• Scooter
Reply #574 on: July 12, 2011, 07:30:53 am

Scott,

I used the Lucas 20w 50 synthetic stuff with all the three letter designations by it and I changed it a couple hundred miles ago. I put in a new oil filter, but I didn't change the O rings as they looked good. I did fill it just slightly over the tippy top line in the oil full indicator window.

I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, but it 'feels' like the teeth in 5th gear are not gripping the chain and if it isn't just right it slips off on the highway and it isn't a positive click to get it back on, just a mushy click when I am finally able to get it to stay in gear.

That is technical terminology by the way.
Stay Safe!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #575 on: July 12, 2011, 05:59:21 pm
Well if you weren't using synthetic I would have said to try that.  Perhaps another brand next time.  I found Mobil 1 4T 20w50 full synth moto smoothed out my tranny a bit.

If you find it shifts and stays in gear well with some of the techniques here keep using them.  If not matter what you do it pops out of 4th or 5th on the highway see your dealer.  That sounds like an adjustment issue.  If it does pop out, clutch in, downshift, then upshift, clutch out.

Also, it should still break in a little more.  Mine continued to settle in past 2000 miles.

Scott

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #576 on: July 12, 2011, 06:01:14 pm
BARE! We have to know what happen to yer Naked butt! Are you OK? Did you break a Norton flight time record? What is cheez whiz?  ??? NEED TO KNOW!!  ???

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #577 on: July 12, 2011, 08:04:31 pm
Chapter 2  "Bullet in the Treetop"

The I got into the tight twisties and started up N4 It's very tight but a lot of fun so I'm riding at maybe 80%. All of a sudden a fat tired sporty bike came flying by me and as a checked the Napoleans, I saw several others behind sped up a bit and another went by, and I was nearing 100%. The next corner was a tight decreasing radius 180 and as I entered the corner it kept tightening and I felt the footpeg touch down. I hung off to the inside, but the bike was drifting across toward the abyss, then the front tire washed out! There was the bike headed for the edge screeching across the road and me following it, mumbling S%#T!!
As the Beast got to the edge of the road it disappeared in a cloud of dust, I stopped sliding and sat there for a minute as all the guys in the other group stopped and came to see if I survived. They helped me up, since I was still in the road, and then kept telling me to go sit down. Obviously, to me anyway, I was standing up,  why did I need to sit down?
I wanted to know where the Beast went as I couldn't see it standing where we were in the road in the road. We walked over to the edge and it as about four feet below us laying horizontally on some tree branches, just off the ground. If those trees and bushes hadn't been there it was about an 80' drop to the bottom of the gully. I started down the hill to get to the bike and the guys are hollering at me not to go down there. Well, I slid easily down to the bike because it was soft dirt and quite steep. I wanted to turn it off and get the key. Anyway I got it, then they drug me back up the hill.
Then the big question came as to how we're gonna get the Beast out the hole, and came to the conclusion that without a bit of help from a winch or something, the Beast was gonna die there, so we should try AAA.
I called them and found I didn't have motorcycle coverage so I would have to pay for it. I asked them if I just couldn't add it on now and they told me I'd have to call Monday to get it. Well, crap, I didn't need a bunch of hundred dollars towing bill, So we decide to got on up the hill and see if we could find a solution in Wrightwood.
Now remember in all this, I'm still way behind the Norton club guys. We were supposed to gather at a restaurant called Mile High, to get together to go to the restaurant we were going to in Wrightwood. I got on the back of a BMW 1200 something or other for the ride up the hill and as we rode by Mile High there was one Matchless still there and getting ready to leave, but everyone else gone, and we rode up to the lunching spot where some of the Norton Club was starting to leave although there were still several at the cafe.
On the ride up, I decided to just leave the bike in the hole overnight because it was essentially invisible from the road and it ain't likely there would be too many pedestrians going by. Even bicyclists would have a hard time spotting it.
Then I would update my AAA then come back and get it Monday AM.
Well, all goes well for about a night, then I call AAA and they'll upgrade it, but it won't be effective for a week. Bastardos!! Now I have to come up with a Plan 9 FOS. I called my son-in-law Mike and asked if He's like to take a little ride to the hinterlands and he was willing. I grabbed some rope and tiedowns and a ramp and we headed up to N-4 in the old pickup. ('96 Mazda 2300 with 28,000 miles on it). As we are going down the the mountain looking for the proper spot where the Beast was laying we finally got to some straightaways that I knew were well below where I'd departed the bike. Told ya it as hard to see!
So we went back up the hill which looked a bit more familiar to me going that way, I came around a corner that looked familiar, but still couldn't see the bike, but I stopped and we walked over to the edge and Voila!, there it was! Now the problem was still, how are we going to get the Beast outta there. the road is pretty narrow with about 3 feet of pavement past the white line and maybe three feet of dirt before it drops off rather severely. You do not want to drop the wheel off the edge in a gutless 2-wheel drive truck! The spot we are in the road is on a short straight of may be 50 yds between the corners which the one coming up the hill that I crashed on is pretty slow and blind and in the lane opposite us. The downhill curve (our lane) is faster but also blind. So we are trying to figure out how to do this and stay on the edge of the road.  We figured to try to pull it parallel to the road going up the hill and see if it would come up. That didn't work well, so we figured maybe if we pulled it parallel to the road going the other way it might be better. The first pull on it broke the rope so we had to retie it with two loop carrying the load. The second rotated the bike so the nose was point up the hill and retied the rope to the front downtube just below the can to be able to pull the bike straight up
Then a couple riding a Harley up the hill stopped and offered us some help and another guy stopped a BMW, too.
So we stationed the couple on each corner and the other guy was helping with the bike, so now I could straddle the road and pull the Beast straight out of the hole. That worked! All we had to do now was load it in the pickup and go home. We did.
I looked at the odometer...2500.0  

Tune in tomorrow, Same Bullet time, Same Bullet Channel for the next exciting episode, "The Wounded Bullet"

That's Mike climbing out of the hole
Bare
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:13:15 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #578 on: July 12, 2011, 08:41:19 pm
After seeing those pics I'm really glad you're ok.  Good luck with getting back to running condition.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #579 on: July 12, 2011, 09:18:33 pm
Wow, I'm glad you are okay.  After the smoke clears and you are ready to ride the Beast again, are you thinking you might change the tires to a more sporty tread?
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #580 on: July 12, 2011, 09:30:44 pm
!
are you thinking you might change the tires to a more sporty tread?

That has definitely been on my mind. I gotta figure out what the good one are, though.

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #581 on: July 12, 2011, 10:00:18 pm
Hey, that will buff out. :)

What was the real cause of the accident, that you couldn't lean over more, that you were distracted, or that you went in too hot?

I just spent some time adjusting my muffler up and my foot brake up about 1" to gain some extra clearance. I found it hit first (and early) on the right side when leaning.. Its scary when it happens! Now I'm scared to lean it over more. :)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #582 on: July 12, 2011, 10:23:00 pm
Bare:

Are you OK physically and otherwise ? It takes no time, in a moment the balance is lost or something on the road that tires lose traction. Wish you all the best for getting it back together. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #583 on: July 12, 2011, 10:34:42 pm
You ight want to get some footpegs made that fold up.  It's nice to have them just fold away and give you a little more lean angle when you need it.  That's one thing I really don't like about the UCE bikes.

Scott

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #584 on: July 12, 2011, 10:51:27 pm
If I had footpegs that folded up, my slug would be ruined.  I think of them as frame sliders instead of pegs now.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"