Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855404 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #540 on: July 09, 2011, 07:44:24 pm
Did a 145 miler, just puttering around yesterday. Went to the shop, then just messed around coming back. Way to hot!! The Beast didn't like it much either, Quit while idling a few times. About 4 miles from my house, as I'm coming through Carbon Canyon, the road was closed because of a fire. Had to backtrack and go about 15 more miles to get home. Did get 74.5 mpg, though
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #541 on: July 09, 2011, 08:43:58 pm
I bought some 20-50wt Mobil 1 V-TWIN synthetic oil for my next oil change.

Being an engineering nurd I did some research on motorcycle oil testing and the test results.
During my digging I found the following link to a AMSOIL data sheet which tests most of the synthetic MC oils that were available in 2006.
The report explains clearly what each test involves and why it is important for a MC oil to score highly.

Since it was done by AMSOIL I expected the report to be very 1 sided but to my surprise the  published results actually gave the numbers fairly, even when another brand scored higher than AMSOIL.

I was very surprised at the test scores of some of the oils.  
A few name brands that one would think should be excellent clearly suffered during some of the tests even though they are high priced.  Others did very well.

The file is a PDF so you will need Adobe to see it after downloading.

http://www.alternative-energy-resources.net/support-files/g2156-study_motorcycle.pdf
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:12:05 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #542 on: July 09, 2011, 10:16:23 pm
very interesting....my uncle does Amsoil Oil changes outta his garage and is buggin me about switchin to the stuff...I think he puts it on his pancakes!...hmm AMSOIL pancakes  ::)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #543 on: July 09, 2011, 10:50:19 pm
veddy interrresting! I'm going to have to rethink the oil my dealer sez to use!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #544 on: July 10, 2011, 12:50:49 am
I use snake oil. Cures rheumatism too!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #545 on: July 10, 2011, 01:26:49 am
I bought some 20-500wt Mobil 1 V-TWIN synthetic oil for my next oil change.

Being an engineering nurd I did some research on motorcycle oil testing and the test results.

During my digging I found the following link to a AMSOIL data sheet which tests most of the synthetic MC oils that were available in 2006.
The report explains clearly what each test involves and why it is important for a MC oil to score highly.

Since it was done by AMSOIL I expected the report to be very 1 sided but to my surprise the  published results actually gave the numbers fairly, even when another brand scored higher than AMSOIL. I was very surprised at the test scores of some of the oils.  

A few name brands that one would think should be excellent clearly suffered during some of the tests even though they are high priced.  Others did very well.

http://www.alternative-energy-resources.net/support-files/g2156-study_motorcycle.pdf

@Arizoni:

I was thoroughly absorbed as I read every word of the link that compared commonly available motorcycle oils.  Not only they showed the final results but also the methodology and experimental design which affected the outcome.

A few notable points - i) The oils of two different grades 40w and 50w from SAME company did not perform equally well in the same test as compared to other company's oil.  That was very unusual.  ii) The ranking of an oil varied depending on the method employed to test a function - e.g., evaluating anti-friction properties by ball test vs. gear protection test changed the ranking of oils. iii) high concentration of zinc does not necessarily translate into better protection !!!

Impressed by the fact that Amsoil did not show any bias even when there oil did not fare as well as others in some tests.

Loved the article very much. BIG THANKS for the link. Saved it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:17:20 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

rbelyk

• Scooter
Reply #546 on: July 10, 2011, 01:34:41 am
my Molly went in for her first servicing
my little girl is all growed up  ;D
I took her for a nice long ride
my dealer put in motul but for her next oil change I will treat her to some Amsoil
2010 Maroon Bullet Classic
custom 1953 Triumph

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #547 on: July 10, 2011, 01:58:48 am
I'm glad you found it interesting.  It did seem to be fairly presented but even if it was slanted slightly in favor of their product I think it is useful to compare the other brands against one another.

For TOTAL NURDS ONLY,  (and those who want something to read at bedtime that will put many to sleep within minutes) here is another PDF (Adobe) link to an extensive paper written about lubricating oils.
http://www.motor-oil-engineers.com/Motor%20Oil%20Engineers%20PDF.pdf

I think if one manages to read thru it they can give themselves a college credit for one semester hour in "Lubricating Oil 101".   There will be a test at the end of the semester.   ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #548 on: July 10, 2011, 03:20:30 am
I bought some 20-500wt Mobil 1 V-TWIN synthetic oil for my next oil change....
Wow, that is really a thick upper viscosity!  Must be very costly.   :D

I like Amsoil a lot.  I've used the Mobil-1 V-Twin syn also, and it is very good, too.  Right now I have Golden Spectro Full Syn in the C5 and all is well.

Personally, I don't think it's vital to try to get the very best oil, whatever that might be this year, but to keep an eye on the oil and not let it get too old.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #549 on: July 10, 2011, 03:24:35 am
"...I bought some 20-500wt Mobil 1 V-TWIN synthetic oil for my next oil change......"
---------

If a little's good, a lot is better, right?  :D :D ;)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #550 on: July 10, 2011, 04:52:01 am
Hey Everyone,
        The fact is, AMSOIL INVENTED synthetic motor oil. I use it, my dealer recommends it, enough said........it's the best !

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #551 on: July 10, 2011, 05:11:42 am
Hey Everyone,
        The fact is, AMSOIL INVENTED synthetic motor oil. I use it, my dealer recommends it, enough said........it's the best !
I thought the Germans invented it in WW2 when they had to use something other than petroleum as the war raged on.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #552 on: July 10, 2011, 06:04:33 am
 The other reason they needed synthetic oil was I surmise, for use in the Jumo Junkers jet engines that powered the Messerschmitt ME 262. The worlds first jet fighter to enter operational service.

What did I do to my Bullet today ?

Removed a little more rubber from the foot pegs  ;) ;D 8)

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #553 on: July 10, 2011, 06:40:47 am
Removed a little more rubber from the foot pegs  ;) ;D 8)

Me, too!  And managed to pinch my toes between the peg and the shifter in a tight left-hander. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #554 on: July 10, 2011, 08:12:57 am
Not on those nasty old tyres I hope...... ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)