Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855374 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #480 on: June 26, 2011, 09:56:48 am
Took out the 18 tooth sprocket & put back the 17t. Hoped I'd be able to inspect the hydraulic tappets while I was in there but it involved a deal more dismantling than I was willing to attempt.
Abandoned the lovely sounding Indian exhaust and refitted the Goldie at least for the time being. Looking at the Hitchcocks option, but I might ride up there on the 650 to have a listen to them first - if ever summer arrives in UK for more than a few hours at a time....

I'd only fitted the 18 tooth with a view to longer trips on the bike, but it's relegated to local roads only now. Partly because there's now the 650 in the garage, partly a lack of trust I'm afraid.
I had a quick blat up the road & back in my shirtsleeves just to try it, and it feels just like my good old bike again - apart of course from that bloody engine racket it now makes!

The 18 tooth sprocket & the Indian exhaust, no more than 70 miles done on either, will be going up for sale shortly. Just thought I'd mention that..... ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #481 on: June 27, 2011, 05:23:16 am
Will, was it the EFI silencer you had?  What was the problem with it?
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #482 on: June 27, 2011, 05:27:31 am
Today I joined 6 other Bulleteers on a relatively short ride to the Redhook brewery in Woodinville, east of Seattle.  My C5 was the only UCE there.  One bike, Gerry's, has a 650cc Yamaha motor.  It had loud Triumph exhausts (I was following it.).

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #483 on: June 27, 2011, 07:07:34 am
650 single or twin?  Either way, that sounds really cool!

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #484 on: June 27, 2011, 07:15:04 am
Prof - It was the Indian made "Electra Silencer" - not specifically made for the efi bikes. It's used by several folk here who really like it. I liked it too, it has a good sound and is less restrictive than the stock. Unfortunately on my bike it backfires like a good'n - often and loud! Also I much prefer the look of the bike with the upswept Goldstar, and I feel the bike runs smoother with it (it's the Watsonian Goldie for efi bikes).
I'll either keep the Goldie on and tone it down (for me) with earplugs, or go for one of the Hitchcocks pipes - they do a nice looking efi silencer with a mechanical baffle, also a Golstar with a removable baffle.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:25:47 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #485 on: June 27, 2011, 11:28:14 am
Today I joined 6 other Bulleteers on a relatively short ride to the Redhook brewery in Woodinville, east of Seattle. 

I am jealous.  Fourteen months in and I've still never even seen another, let alone had a chance to ride with any.  I even started going to large events and rallies, hoping to find one.  They can't keep 'em on the shelves, so somebody's buying 'em.  Just not ridin' 'em I guess..

Today, for instance, hooked up with a few hundred others for a fundraiser.  Didn't find any REs, but did run into my ex-girlfriend who knows I HATE it when people sit on my bike....   :-\

2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #486 on: June 27, 2011, 03:07:19 pm

Today, for instance, hooked up with a few hundred others for a fundraiser.  Didn't find any REs, but did run into my ex-girlfriend who knows I HATE it when people sit on my bike....   :-\

LOL!  Looks like a WWE employee. 

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #487 on: June 27, 2011, 06:29:26 pm
Got up 15 minutes late this morning..  Running behind watching the weather and it looks like rain this afternoon.  " Guess I will take the truck."  Wife tells me the gas light is on... Ehhh,,  took the RE to work.. I rather ride it in the rain than use the cage anyway...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #488 on: June 27, 2011, 10:43:15 pm
Sea Foam-ed the daylights out of it !

It scared the neighbor I think  ;D

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #489 on: June 28, 2011, 11:38:40 am
LOL!  Looks like a WWE employee. 

Can act like one too.  Hence the "ex"   ;)
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #490 on: June 28, 2011, 06:48:38 pm
Installed an AGM battery. I hate those stock servicable batteries. Shouldn't have to mess with such contraptions. Besides they like to splatter acid all over the paint job.
Went to the gas station for a fill up at 190 miles. I guess the Beast is going to settle in at 68 mpg. It's been pretty consistently in the 68-70 range the last few times I filled up.
Bare
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:41:56 am by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #491 on: June 29, 2011, 01:36:36 am
With the idea of "Be Prepared" and "If you have it you won't need it" in mind I bought three spools of #18 guage stranded insulated wire in 100 foot lengths.  One black, one yellow and one green to add some variety.

Hopefully, with these on hand I won't have any electrical problems but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #492 on: June 29, 2011, 05:39:51 am
With the idea of "Be Prepared" and "If you have it you won't need it" in mind I bought three spools of #18 guage stranded insulated wire in 100 foot lengths.  One black, one yellow and one green to add some variety.

Hopefully, with these on hand I won't have any electrical problems but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Holding your breath while you ride is generally not a good idea. I used to do it before I got my Scorpion helmet with fog-free faceshield.

What I did? Towed it to two dealers today. See thread in Campfire section.

kingrock

• Scooter
  • 2010 c5 military/ The green Goddess
Reply #493 on: July 01, 2011, 03:39:35 am
Can act like one too.  Hence the "ex"   ;)
My ex saw the green goddess and said "can I go for a ride, Can I?
' I replied can I go for a ride". End of conversation. Picked up my bike from first service. now just shy of 600 miles. Went for a ride today too.  ;D ;D ;D

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #494 on: July 01, 2011, 03:50:34 am
I decided to look into the electrical situation under the left sidecover on my G5.
I haven't had a problem yet but I know the harness is a weakness on the RE's.

As some of you know, there are a bunch of wires connected to the three fuse holders and there are also some sharp metal edges both on the edges of the cover and on the part the lock engages.

I was disappointed when I found that RE seems to think that black plastic electrical tape is all that's needed to protect the wiring.   Knowing that a dull knife will cut right thru plastic tape like that I got to thinking.

I have a bunch of 1/4" and 3/8" vinyl tubing so by slitting up one side of it I made some covers for the wiring.
After opening up the slit and pushing the wiring inside it closed back up to its tubular shape but just to make sure I taped the slit with some of the Indian harness covering material (black plastic electrical tape).  ;D

I also noticed that the Hot lead (+) that runs from the battery to the starter solenoid, where it comes out from under the side cover was trying to embed its insulation on the sharp metal edge.  Talk about a potential problem!  If that cut thru and the lock grounded the cover all sorts of sparks could fly!

A short length of the larger vinyl tubing was installed to cover the wiring at that location.

Some lengths of shrink tubing that are slit to allow installation or some of those flexable plastic harness covers from the local auto  parts store would have worked in place of the tubing but as I mentioned, I already had it on hand.

Someday before too long I'll pull the gas tank and add some more tubing to the areas where the harness contacts solid sharp metal edges.  :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary