Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855381 times)

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #390 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:45 pm
I'm sure from other posts that the upswept may be a little hotter than the EFI but I also know that it is significantly louder. Dont wanna piss of the neighbors for the sake of 1 or 2 more hp.

Alaska Mike

• Scooter
Reply #391 on: June 10, 2011, 11:46:07 pm
Negative on the printout. My dealer was saying it may be about 5-7hp increase with the upswept over factory due to the factory straight pipe having 2 sets of emissions filters on them. The manual does say 27bhp but I am curious what the actual power rating is to the wheel. It is funny how any modification or tweaking on these bikes can yield noticable results. Fun little bikes.
Stay Safe!

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #392 on: June 11, 2011, 02:00:38 am
I really doubt the efi will be as good as the upswept..The EFI has a 3/8" hole through the middle, but the rest of it, if I recall, is a corkscrew of baffled material. I'd think its quite restrictive.

It would be awesome if your dealer could do a run without the air filter on so we can see what sort of gains a freer flowing air box would provide!!

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #393 on: June 11, 2011, 02:15:39 am
Negative on the printout. My dealer was saying it may be about 5-7hp increase with the upswept over factory due to the factory straight pipe having 2 sets of emissions filters on them. The manual does say 27bhp but I am curious what the actual power rating is to the wheel. It is funny how any modification or tweaking on these bikes can yield noticable results. Fun little bikes.
My C5 with upswept muffler showed 19.5HP, with K&N air filter.  I don't think your dealer is accurate with the numbers.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Alaska Mike

• Scooter
Reply #394 on: June 11, 2011, 04:20:45 am

Indeed. What model/size K&N did you fit on there? What gains have you noticed?
Stay Safe!

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #395 on: June 11, 2011, 06:11:48 am
I went for a little trip to Rhinebeck, NY to see the Grand National Meet. Its bascially a huge old spare parts swap meet for (mainly) Harley and Indian bikes. There were hundreds of people selling rusty wares just like this:

As a tinkerer myself, it was really fun to walk around and see how things used to be made. But this was the coolest tent. It was great to meet Ron in person and chat for a bit. He was really informative and it was great to see he is actually an Enfield rider too! :) You can just make out his white sidecar setup in the back.

But there were a lot of REALLY cool old bikes there - many of them I had never heard of before, and some I have (Schwinn made motorbikes?!!). I was bummed that the tractor show wasnt on. I saw a lot of really neat old steam and gas engines that were being setup for Saturday. Look at this snazzy two-seater. It appears to be a rear-seat driver!

Most bikes had little oil pee stains below them. :)

I did break down on the way home in the middle of nowhere due to an electrical short. Thank God I found it and got back on the road - was nerve racking there for a bit! Overall it was a great day. If you're in the area, go check it out.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #396 on: June 11, 2011, 01:40:19 pm
Looks like the front passenger gets to help steer too. Isn't that a set of foot pegs I see on the front wheel?
If one's passenger where to get a leg cramp during a long ride, I forsee a jaunt into the roadside ditches.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #397 on: June 11, 2011, 07:18:42 pm
yMy C5 with upswept muffler showed 19.5HP, with K&N air filter.  I don't think your dealer is accurate with the numbers.

My dyno run with an EFI muffler was 18.75 hp, but the muffler is a bit quieter than the upswept. actually it may have shown a little more, but the mixture sniffer rod was up the little hole all the way and I suspect it increased the back pressure a bit.

Bare
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:21:50 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #398 on: June 11, 2011, 09:50:54 pm
Today I added a touch of individuality to my G5 by painting the engine logo red.

I used a small high quality brush and a few toothpicks along with a bottle of  bright red Testers PLA model enamel to fill in the recessed letters on both sides of the engine.

If you are doing this and you get a small area where the paint is on the metal next to the cast in lettering, let the paint dry for about 3-4 minutes and use your finger nail or a piece of hard plastic to scrape the offending paint away.  
You will want to catch the paint when it is not wet but hasn't fully dried yet.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:36:43 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #399 on: June 11, 2011, 10:05:44 pm
Nice!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #400 on: June 12, 2011, 12:11:36 am
Today I added a touch of individuality to my G5 by painting the engine logo red.

I've been meaning to do that for a very long time.  I will get around to it.  But I'm a Humbrol's guy myself.   ;D
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #401 on: June 12, 2011, 12:43:38 am
Arizoni, I relocated my canister to a box in my garage. It looks much better now. ;D

What did you do with the tubing going all the way of to the tank?
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #402 on: June 12, 2011, 12:51:50 am

What did you do with the tubing going all the way of to the tank?
And with the tube from the canister to the injector body?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #403 on: June 14, 2011, 11:42:49 pm
After 1700 miles I figured it might be time to check nut and bolts again. I cleaned the Beast first, and found a rattly screw on the fender, and the other day when I was moving it around I felt a little slip on the rear handgrip. Tightened the offenders and checked the rest. Staying pretty solid, I'd say.  I still had a little crap burnt onto the pipe ahead of the muffler that I got there before I got the heat shield. A little bit of trousers, boot and leg were still charring, so I finished cleaning that mess up. Other than that, the only mess left is at the front of the chain under the countershaft where a little oil slings off and runs down the case a bit. I think I got  a good 'un.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #404 on: June 15, 2011, 12:19:29 am
 took out all the  bulbs and applied a small amount of  bulb grease,,temp was 75 and was great for the enfields 30 mile sprint...
Oh Magoo you done it again