Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855349 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #330 on: June 05, 2011, 07:57:05 am
I keep thinking of getting an aftermarket exhaust...

and then one of the local knuckleheads rides by with a bike that shakes my house.  I like my neighbors and they like me, I'll keep it that way.  I don't think I'd even like it that loud for more than half an hour.  Plus, though the cat blues the chrome it does make the stuff from the pipe a little less nasty.  Gotta think of the future.

Not to say I won't be tempted again ;)

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #331 on: June 05, 2011, 08:18:58 am
All aftermarket exhausts may not be equal in terms of noise.
I was delighted by how much perkier my bike ran with the Goldie on, but a year later I'm wanting to tone it (the noise) down a bit. Apart from the sheer volume, especially in town, it's too much blat and not enough thump. It can be kind of tiring on a long ride.
I don't mind the sound of the stock exhaust, but that's all I don't mind about it!
I'm awaiting delivery of a new Indian exhaust, more classic looking on the bike, and I'm told it has the classic Bullet bass thump.  I'll let you know....
That said, even the Goldie is acceptable for slowly chugging down the road and away from the neighbours.... especially with earplugs in ... :D ;)
As for the future, people been telling me for decades the future's coming. Never does.... ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:22:56 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #332 on: June 05, 2011, 03:52:25 pm
Will what exhaust did you order?

What I really want to do is install a cutout so I can make it loud sometimes and softer others.. I looked high and low for a 1.75" cutout pipe (like this), but couldn't find one.

I was thinking that I could put some sort of valve or adjustable opening on the flanged area there and just open it up a bit when I wanted the noise..

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #333 on: June 05, 2011, 03:53:43 pm
kinda like peacemakers..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #334 on: June 05, 2011, 04:10:47 pm
I emailed them to see if they have a single 1.75" version.. I doubt it though. Any other companies like this?!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #335 on: June 05, 2011, 04:15:23 pm
I've ordered the Electra silencer from Enfield County in India. Should arrive any day now..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140421186571&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #336 on: June 05, 2011, 04:36:27 pm
Big Al from Fresno has a Honda track bike, It looks like a vintage racer. What I noticed in his exhaust was a device I had not seen in decades. It is (was) called a Snuff-r-not. Basically it is a flapper valve in the pipe that regulates the outflow of the pipe. When fully closed, some exhaust escapes around the valve. When open it still blocks some flow. Not an ideal situation.

Remember Little Deuce Coupe? "She purrs like a kitten 'till my Lake Pipes roar"

There was an exhaust cutout for Harleys made a few years ago.

Probably the best system is a removable baffle.

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #337 on: June 05, 2011, 06:25:12 pm
Recovering from a leg injury and not able to ride for a few weeks, but today the leg feels better.  This great weather we're having is calling and I'm gong to give riding a try. With some Tylenol on board I think I can make the 150 mile round trip to see a friend.  8) 8)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #338 on: June 05, 2011, 08:00:44 pm
Wash, lubed the chain, anti squeal for the front pads, new grips with safety wire.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #339 on: June 05, 2011, 11:40:34 pm
40 years ago I removed the muffler and put a Snuff-r on my Ducati. 
I don't recall that it added much power but it sure sounded faster.  :D

Sense those days, Arizona has outlawed all forms of exhaust cut-outs including the ones with bolted on caps on any street legal machine. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #340 on: June 06, 2011, 02:35:15 am
I rode 100 miles in the summer-like Seattle weather.  Temps were in the high 60s and low 70s.  That's PERFECT for wearing full ATTGATT.

The C5 putted along fine and I have learned how to minimize the poots and pops from the upswept muffler by gently easing off the throttle and not blipping the throttle on downshifting. 

Today was a relaxing "cycle-therapy" ride on mostly 2-lane backroads averaging 45mph.  Wearing ear plugs really makes the motor seem smoother and slows down the onset of fatigue.  Keeps the tinnitus away too (I had it many years ago).

With a tank full of 89 octane "clear" gasoline (no ethanol), the motor ran fine.   It filled up back in town and showed 76mpg (US).   

On the ride the odometer went 1800 miles as I went into Duvall and Snohomish, WA.  I posted a couple of photos in the gallery.

I checked the new plug for color (another thread) and then applied anti-seize goop before reinstalling it.  The chain got lubed for the next ride.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #341 on: June 06, 2011, 03:01:22 am
I've ordered the Electra silencer from Enfield County in India. Should arrive any day now..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140421186571&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123
Will, is that the same as the nfield EFI? Maybe the muffled section looks a bit shorter, hard to tell.

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #342 on: June 06, 2011, 03:02:35 am
Old friend JC Whitney still offers a weld in remote cable exhaust cut out. Will fit 1 3/4 pipe.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/cast-iron-exhaust-cutout/p2006307.jcwx

Will this work.? Maybe.
The thing about Snuff-or-nots, is u have to start with a loud pipe and they "soften" the loud exhaust a bit. They round off the sharp edges of the exhaust note as it were.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #343 on: June 06, 2011, 03:18:59 am
Tri - I saw that one but its cast iron (ugly) and requires welding (dont want a permanent solution in case it sucks. :)

I have a custom snuff r not in the works...

I just need to weld that center washer to the screw and pop a hole in the pipe. A lock washer and thumb screw hold it together. As long as I turn it clockwise only, it should stay tight, we'll see. You can just see I notched the end of the screw so I had some way to tighten everything, and it lets me know where the flapper is oriented. My plan is to put it just after the header pipe. Hopefully that works, if it doesnt, I'll put it towards the end, which I guess is the more customary position.

This is the $25 emgo shorty pipe I'm using (Pipe # 4 for me!):

It has internal baffling, but basically is a straight open 1" pipe though the center, so I'm guessing it will be quite loud, but I'm hoping it has some of the flavor of the EFI pipe, just louder (my goal). The muffled section is about a foot long. One nice thing about this pipe is that it has a removable baffle, so with that functionality and the snuffrnot it should be fun to tune for back pressure (power) and sound.

I've attached three washers here, but my guess is that I may only need the one center one. When the washers are in the pipe at 90deg, there is about 1/4" clearance around the edges for exhausts gases to pass by.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:00:31 am by Sub »

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #344 on: June 06, 2011, 04:29:10 am
I took my new bike on its first trip this weekend:  Austin to Houston and back; for the big accordion concert..  About 170 miles each way.  When we drive this in a car, its 3 hours on the road.  It was twice that on the C5, since I avoided the interstate.  Plus I needed rest stops, since it was very hot, and when I stopped for gumbo for lunch, there materialized a ferocious hail storm, and I had to wait it out.  Especially time consuming was driving in and out of Houston on surface streets.  I loved the way the bike handled on 2 lane roads.  But it was frankly very tiring keeping up with high speed traffic on the 4 lane roads, which in Texas are 70 mph.  I don’ think I would do this again – it was too arduous in return for the couple of hours pleasant riding.  I did take one section on a gravel county road.  The bike felt fine.

Stephan
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot