Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855550 times)

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #240 on: May 21, 2011, 08:37:43 pm
Got pissed as I wait for my new seat and decided WTF - not gonna keep the old seat - lets rip her up - peeled off the vinyl - breadknife to the foam and glued er back on - dropped the seat height 2" .

Kept some extra in the front for the boys and narrowed it down a lot in the front 1/2- left the back for the fat ass the same.

Yeah I know - did the whole thing in 1/2 an hour off and back on and I know I could have stretched it tighter but couldnt be bothered.

That said - not that hard to do BUT - as I said the breadknife cuts the dense foam pretty easily -it doesnt leave it all that smooth - SO if you want it tight and smooth then you will have to use - don't know - hot knife maybe - or another layer underneath the vinyl.

Be careful NOT to cut the vinyl or rip it when peeling it off the seat pan and go for it.

IF I was leaving this one on I would make it more purdy!
Dr B

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #241 on: May 22, 2011, 12:12:39 am
I Broke it. :o  Went on a nice 300 mile ride with a bunch of other bikes. Everything from sportbikes to supermotos. On the way home I could hear a sound like the gas tank was vibrating. I couldn't feel anything strange, just a noise. When I got home I started checking all the nuts and bolts. I found the upper motor mount snapped in two! I know it has some special RE name, but it is the one from the frame to the head. Wonder what caused that?

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #242 on: May 22, 2011, 12:14:54 am
I Broke it. :o  Went on a nice 300 mile ride with a bunch of other bikes. Everything from sportbikes to supermotos. On the way home I could hear a sound like the gas tank was vibrating. I couldn't feel anything strange, just a noise. When I got home I started checking all the nuts and bolts. I found the upper motor mount snapped in two! I know it has some special RE name, but it is the one from the frame to the head. Wonder what caused that?
Faulty welding?  Too much vibration leading to metal fatigue?  Pictures?

Good luck with the repair / warranty.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #243 on: May 22, 2011, 12:14:58 am

Lots of vibration. ;)
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #244 on: May 22, 2011, 12:49:53 am
do the newer bikes have that much vibration? they seem so much more refined with that great bottom end and smooth efi...
Oh Magoo you done it again

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #245 on: May 22, 2011, 04:52:11 am
When I had it in for service they found the gas tank leaking and replaced it. The bracket mounts using the same bolt as the gas tank. Coincidence? Maybe not.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #246 on: May 22, 2011, 04:54:42 am
do the newer bikes have that much vibration? they seem so much more refined with that great bottom end and smooth efi...

It's still a long-stroke single.  My aftermarket engine guard snapped right in two after 5,000 km. 

Yes, there's that much vibration.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #247 on: May 22, 2011, 03:26:37 pm
In my never-ending laziness I let the chain become so loose it started to lash.  I'm lucky the damn thing didn't come off on me. 

Took a little grunting and swearing, but I fixed that up today. 

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #248 on: May 22, 2011, 04:12:07 pm
u guys are raising hell on these things..admit it...you guys are not the picture of a sunday outing in the British countryside on your enfield....this isn't a 1970 commercial of coco cola its the real thing....no wonder the dam things are breaking in half...now admit it and ask for absolution.....hope u are having a great day.. ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #249 on: May 22, 2011, 05:26:37 pm
I know I shouldn't be keeping up with Ducatis and GSXrs but I can't help myself. They get me on the straights but I catch up in the curves. One even marveled at my "moped tires" compared to the wide rubber on modern bikes. A little research tells me the broken part is known as the "head stay". Royal Enfield should hire some of us to test their product in American conditions. They have had decades to perfect it for India.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #250 on: May 22, 2011, 06:31:42 pm
u guys are raising hell on these things..admit it...

Hell, yeah!   I bought it to ride it, not polish it.  It's a year old now, and I've washed it twice.  8)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #251 on: May 22, 2011, 11:44:44 pm
I've had my bike in the shop since April 29 waiting for this wank too install a side car, his bone of contention was the othere guy would be at least a month!!! This is his last order/and or sale from this consumer. You would think when you drop that much coin on a new bike then follow up with a sidecarhe would be all over it. Not so. Apperantlly tis a sidleline/partime business for this dealer. Not happy!!!

Dude,  that is uncool..  I would go collect my things and do it myself at this point...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #252 on: May 23, 2011, 03:17:18 am
i started to replace some of the 'hardware store' style bolts that are on the thing...

started by replacing the ones around the front wheel and guard with some nice silver dome head allen key style bolts. Looks good :)

wish there were some nicer high tensile ones i could use elsewhere on the bike...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #253 on: May 23, 2011, 03:21:16 am
wish there were some nicer high tensile ones i could use elsewhere on the bike...

This rabbit hole goes deep  8)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=cf889i
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #254 on: May 23, 2011, 05:22:19 am
I wonder if Pro-Bolt does a titanium kit.  Then again, I'm better off not knowing.