Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855358 times)

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #150 on: April 23, 2011, 08:16:26 am
rode out to the coast after work and took a beautiful friend out to dinner. about 200 miles round trip but worth every mile : )

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #151 on: April 23, 2011, 10:51:54 pm
Rode it around while figured I would pull the stock bars back a couple of inches to improve the riding position - did so - moves mirror/brake/clutch brackets around so at correct angle. Then I loosened the switches on both sides and------  who designed a round switch assembly with a little 1/16 th round plastic pin in a hole in the bar to keep it from rotating on the ends of the bars!!! ::) I had to enlarge the hole so it could turn a little further around and all switches would be at correct angle for new bar position - then I had to put double sided rubber tape on the bar so that the assembly wouldnt rotate back and forth on the new hole around the retainer pin on both sides -

Worked out well but I guess thats what you do when you have plastic switch assemblies rather than metal - can' tighten them enough to grab on the bars at any placement - Oh well - fun to tinker - plus all the tighteners are different diameters on both sides !!
Dr B

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #152 on: April 24, 2011, 01:36:48 am
  • Found a place in Seattle that sells non-ethanol laced gasoline.  10 cents more per gallon
  • Rode 150 wonderful miles north and east of Seattle and south to the Snoqualmie Falls and west to Black Diamond.  66F in the area today.  Best day all year to ride!
  • I did not baby the C5 today and had it full throttle going over Tiger Mountain.
  • Stopped for a photo op at the Boeing Museum of History and Flight.
  • Got an honest 71mpg upon fillup at the same station before coming home. 
  • The C5 and I are beginning to become one.  This bike is growing on me.  It now has 1,560 miles.

A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #153 on: April 24, 2011, 03:08:57 am
Where is the gas station, I want some clean gas !!!!!!!

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #154 on: April 24, 2011, 07:22:41 pm
Most stations in Canada, at least where I am have no alcohol in the gas - usually its in the drivers ;)

Took 10 minutes today to straighten out my speedometer as it came off line - top and bottom were at about 2 minutes to 12 and 29 after - funny how when you glance down it throws off the lines - anyway got it done without breaking anything other than doing it twice as I turned it too far the other way  ::)
Dr B

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #155 on: April 24, 2011, 07:54:06 pm
Where is the gas station, I want some clean gas !!!!!!!

Yeah, it might slow down the inner paint from flaking off.

The station is a Spirit station located at 35th NE and NE 95th. 

There is also a station in south Seattle:  CFN:  Schultz Cardlock    465 South Holgate

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #156 on: April 24, 2011, 11:32:48 pm
I finally got over the 900 mile mark so I went for a 100 mile ride in the country.  Got the bike up to 70 mph.  It has quite a buzz at the speed; I don't think I could do that very long.  Great at 55 though.  Almost no wild flowers in central Texas this year.  But it was a beautiful day for a ride.

Stephan
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #157 on: April 25, 2011, 12:07:35 am
gave grrenmachine a bath and took her on a 50 mile ride..a couple of miles on a mix of gravel and dirt....she runs like she always does...fantastic
Oh Magoo you done it again

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #158 on: April 25, 2011, 02:40:48 am
Whew, today was a busy one for me. Rode the bike a few times(07 iron barrel) to get my final "inital break in miles" done. Did that and changed the engine oil/filter, trans oil, greased brake linkage fittings, cleaned/lubed chain, and polished up the bike. Man it was an enfield marathon today ;D

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #159 on: April 25, 2011, 09:35:31 pm
fitted rear pillion pad and carrier back on C5 in the hope the doc's will let me go abroad,tried running the bike with screen+tank bag ,without screen but with tank bag then naked (the bike not me) all at around 65-70 to try and find why it;s wobbling like a scary jelly but to no avail gonna try tyre pressures in morn as think reccomended  pressures in manual way too low especially the front(18psi) can't see what else it could be as bike is only 4 month old and I haven't altered any components, still love riding the thing though,Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #160 on: April 25, 2011, 10:03:00 pm
to try and find why it;s wobbling like a scary jelly but to no avail
Did you see the thread on this forum about C5 wobbles and tension in the fender subframe?  It looked to me like the root of the problem was discovered and the smart guys on this forum found the fix.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #161 on: April 26, 2011, 12:42:54 am
... all at around 65-70 to try and find why it;s wobbling like a scary jelly but to no avail ...
I admire greatly your motivation to get out and ride with bigger issues on your mind and, sadly, in your body.  Keep at it!

The other thread has LOTS of info.  For my wobbly C5, I did loosen the frame and retighten everything.  Tire pressures of 21F and 24R seem to work for me.  Getting the rear tire aligned properly helped.  Keeping a loose grip on the controls helps, too.  But I think the C5's best speed is below 65mph.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #162 on: April 26, 2011, 01:10:48 am
Mine does 80 no sweat, no wobble.  I got lucky.  Check that thread.  I don't think Gas House Gorilla could get much over 50, then he discovered the fender problem and he's been fine sice, any speed he wants.

It's not fun to ride a C5 at 80mph for very long but it's possible.

Scott

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #163 on: April 26, 2011, 08:15:49 am
"Any speed he wants"  Scott for goodness sakes don't let Gas House Gorilla hear you say that!  ;D
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #164 on: April 26, 2011, 04:16:04 pm

It's not fun to ride a C5 at 80mph for very long but it's possible.

Scott
"Any speed he wants"  Scott for goodness sakes don't let Gas House Gorilla hear you say that!  ;D
What an ironic thread this is...... schnicker.....schnicker ;)

Don, try the lower tire pressures. While we were testing this, we found that with added weight, the problem would get worse, if the pressures were to high.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.