Author Topic: Extreme backfiring  (Read 2031 times)

mumblemouth

• Scooter
on: August 25, 2016, 02:13:39 am
Hey guys..this started all of a sudden. Everything was fine..and then loud backfires and a bit of flame from the silencer. I checked for air leaks in the intake system, as well as exhaust leaks..I did have a loose header pipe. But I tightened it all down no more leak..but I'm still getting extreme backfires and a blue small flame for the tail end. Any suggestions?

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 02:31:33 am
just a thought - even though you tightened up the system are you sure your loose exhaust didn't chop out your header pipe gasket.
I know they can cause you a bit of drama once that header pipe gasket goes

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 02:32:54 am
just a thought - even though you tightened up the system are you sure your loose exhaust didn't chop out your header pipe gasket.
I know they can cause you a bit of drama once that header pipe gasket goes
+1,  I haven't looked closely at the RE ones, but the jap bikes' are usually crush gaskets...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 03:15:39 am
CMW offers the gaskets, crush type, for $9.95. Worth keeping a couple around as spares since they're easy to change.
CMW Part # C90127.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mumblemouth

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 06:47:50 pm
Solved it. I thought it could be the gasket as well. So I ordered one. But, when the header bolts got loose it let the pipe drop a bit. Just got a little cock eyed. Once I adjusted that it stopped. So I got a gasket coming anyways....better to have and not need, then need and not have, I reckon.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 08:13:05 pm
I recently replaced my copper donut exhaust seal, which was necessitated as a result of head removal. At first, upon head pipe removal, I thought it had dissapeared!  After searching all around on the floor and everywhere I could think to look,  it occurred to me that it had to still be in the head.  After closer investigation I discovered that it was in there, smashed completely flat, seated deep in the exhaust port. :o  I used a seal removal tool, (about a foot long flat bar with two hooks on one end) and carefully fished it out. :)

I bought a new copper donut from the local Honda dealer.  The one for a CB 750 is readily available and is the same.  I also added a light coat of Permatex Hi-Temp Sealant. ;)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.