Author Topic: On Other Mechanical Fronts...  (Read 3299 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
on: March 20, 2021, 07:04:27 pm
With a perpetually leaky kitchen faucet my Trophy Wife finally coerced me into pulling on my manly cisgendered Harry Homeowner overalls today and installing a brand new "Wanjinli Kitchen Faucet" care of Amazon. It's not so shabby for $36. At least it seems a bit more robust in its honest stainless steel construction than its Costco predecessor, which appeared to have been crafted from chrome-painted zip ties and old bottle caps. But I just know you and your womenfolk will all be seething with envy when I assure you that not only does it offer "SWEET INTELLIGENCE CONCISE BUT NOT", but is also "SIMPLE AND THE UTMOST ENJOYMENT TASTE", just like it says on the box. Indeed!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 07:12:08 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 08:27:49 pm
Worth it if only for the Ingrish on the box...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 09:16:47 pm
With a perpetually leaky kitchen faucet my Trophy Wife finally coerced me into pulling on my manly cisgendered Harry Homeowner overalls today and installing a brand new "Wanjinli Kitchen Faucet" care of Amazon. It's not so shabby for $36. At least it seems a bit more robust in its honest stainless steel construction than its Costco predecessor, which appeared to have been crafted from chrome-painted zip ties and old bottle caps. But I just know you and your womenfolk will all be seething with envy when I assure you that not only does it offer "SWEET INTELLIGENCE CONCISE BUT NOT", but is also "SIMPLE AND THE UTMOST ENJOYMENT TASTE", just like it says on the box. Indeed!

Did you develop "plumber's butt" while installing your new faucet?   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 09:56:39 pm
Did you develop "plumber's butt" while installing your new faucet?   ;)

Nah...I always have that handy. In fact, I keep some droopy oversize Dad jeans just for the neighbors' amusement whenever I clean out the gutters.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 03:09:22 pm
I think l will just stick to odd tap here and there l don't know much about dual fuel.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 04:07:38 pm
After reading that box I would have sent it right back.  :o
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 04:43:08 pm
At 12,000 miles of open water away from the U.S. & our Pacific Fleet, the Philippinos and Australians are certainly taking notice. China is today what America was in the 1950's, technical products supplier to the world. It would be difficult to ramp up domestic supply to meet demand if that stopped, the factory capacity just doesn't exist. These are folks that build moon rockets, space stations, hypersonic ship killing missiles, high speed rail lines, nuclear reactors and submarines, not just low-buck faucets for export. They are even working out a deal for a joint moon base with the Russians. Not a good candidate for someone to be complacent about.

South China Sea dispute: Huge Chinese 'fishing fleet' alarms Philippines
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56474847

How Australia-China relations have hit 'lowest ebb in decades'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-54458638

“2034,” a Cautionary Tale of Conflict with China
https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/political-scene/2034-a-cautionary-tale-of-conflict-with-china
American naval vessels routinely patrol the South China Sea. It is a shared maritime space, but China claims much of the area as its own. That much is true. What if one of the ships was torpedoed? The retired admiral James Stavridis teamed up with Elliot Ackerman, a journalist and former marine, to write about how, in the shadow of an increasingly tense relationship between the U.S. and China, such an incident could spiral into catastrophe. The result is “2034: A Novel of the Next World War.” The book is a thriller and also a cautionary tale; Stavridis cites Nevil Shute’s post-apocalyptic novel “On the Beach” as an inspiration. The writers tell Evan Osnos that they intend to deliver in fiction an ingredient that’s missing in military planning: “We have plenty of intelligence, we have plenty of hardware,” Ackerman notes, but “what we often lack is imagination.”

BBC: China and Russia to build lunar space station
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-56342311

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 05:29:36 pm
At 12,000 miles of open water away from the U.S. & our Pacific Fleet, the Philippinos and Australians are certainly taking notice. China is today what America was in the 1950's, technical products supplier to the world. It would be difficult to ramp up domestic supply to meet demand if that stopped, the factory capacity just doesn't exist. These are folks that build moon rockets, space stations, hypersonic ship killing missiles, high speed rail lines, nuclear reactors and submarines, not just low-buck faucets for export. They are even working out a deal for a joint moon base with the Russians. Not a good candidate for someone to be complacent about.

South China Sea dispute: Huge Chinese 'fishing fleet' alarms Philippines
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56474847

How Australia-China relations have hit 'lowest ebb in decades'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-54458638

“2034,” a Cautionary Tale of Conflict with China
https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/political-scene/2034-a-cautionary-tale-of-conflict-with-china
American naval vessels routinely patrol the South China Sea. It is a shared maritime space, but China claims much of the area as its own. That much is true. What if one of the ships was torpedoed? The retired admiral James Stavridis teamed up with Elliot Ackerman, a journalist and former marine, to write about how, in the shadow of an increasingly tense relationship between the U.S. and China, such an incident could spiral into catastrophe. The result is “2034: A Novel of the Next World War.” The book is a thriller and also a cautionary tale; Stavridis cites Nevil Shute’s post-apocalyptic novel “On the Beach” as an inspiration. The writers tell Evan Osnos that they intend to deliver in fiction an ingredient that’s missing in military planning: “We have plenty of intelligence, we have plenty of hardware,” Ackerman notes, but “what we often lack is imagination.”

BBC: China and Russia to build lunar space station
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-56342311

I'll be looking for that book on my next trip to Barnes and Nobel. Do you recall the movie "The Bedford Incident?"

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 05:53:01 pm
Well china is a superpower now, come a long way since buying buying redundant spitfires, the probably have the largest spy network in the world, they have masses of nukes stored under mountains, the technology there has grown beyond proportion is true.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 06:17:51 pm
Zimmemr @ #7: Sure do. WW1 started with some dumbass and  bad attitude, lots more willing participants this time around trying to replicate "Fight Club". I haven't forgotten about what a great idea the "Southeast Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" was in 1939 either, just maybe the players have changed. Regardless of what you think about the Chinese battle prowess, starting with a 12,000 mile open ocean supply chain to a battle front is a very bad idea. Modern weaponry rather stalemates your ships. The hypersonic ship killers reduce you to aircraft & submarines. The very best we could do is to jump off with aircraft from an Argentinian base over the South Pole to Australia, and that will require some very fancy footwork to repair the rift between the US and Argentina, not to mention all of those other South American countries the CIA has hammered on inbetween.

China is patient. The reinforced islands are part of their 50 year plan. Hard to sink an island unless you go nuclear, and then the rules get real ugly fast. You know it's part of the long plan because the Chinese have recreated the flying boat. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVIC_AG600 ) Flying boats don't need a landing strip. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-runway_penetration_bomb ) If the opposition makes your runway unusable, you still get to resupply. The artificial islands all have landing strips. There is virtually no other justification for flying boats, they were phased out in the 1950's when wheeled planes became stone reliable. It's not a good idea to underestimate these boys.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 07:11:32 pm
Ho they will just abide their time, they are not in any rush.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 07:16:23 pm
I think this plane is quite useless. How do you want to load or unload cargo without a dedicated harbour? And a new landing strip is much more easy to reconstruct than a harbour.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 07:47:36 pm
I think this plane is quite useless. How do you want to load or unload cargo without a dedicated harbour? And a new landing strip is much more easy to reconstruct than a harbour.
They off-load onto an LST type lighter, then run the lighter onto a beach, it's not the most efficient way to do it, but it gets the job done. Think of D-day plus 1.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 07:55:36 pm
Zimmemr @ #7: Sure do. WW1 started with some dumbass and  bad attitude, lots more willing participants this time around trying to replicate "Fight Club". I haven't forgotten about what a great idea the "Southeast Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" was in 1939 either, just maybe the players have changed. Regardless of what you think about the Chinese battle prowess, starting with a 12,000 mile open ocean supply chain to a battle front is a very bad idea. Modern weaponry rather stalemates your ships. The hypersonic ship killers reduce you to aircraft & submarines. The very best we could do is to jump off with aircraft from an Argentinian base over the South Pole to Australia, and that will require some very fancy footwork to repair the rift between the US and Argentina, not to mention all of those other South American countries the CIA has hammered on inbetween.

China is patient. The reinforced islands are part of their 50 year plan. Hard to sink an island unless you go nuclear, and then the rules get real ugly fast. You know it's part of the long plan because the Chinese have recreated the flying boat. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVIC_AG600 ) Flying boats don't need a landing strip. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-runway_penetration_bomb ) If the opposition makes your runway unusable, you still get to resupply. The artificial islands all have landing strips. There is virtually no other justification for flying boats, they were phased out in the 1950's when wheeled planes became stone reliable. It's not a good idea to underestimate these boys.

The Chinese are patient, imaginative, and have a national will that's second to none. They'd be a formidable adversary, and you're right it's a really bad idea to underestimate them. My guess is that their idea of forward planning extends well into the next century. I'd be surprised if ours extends much past labor day.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 08:31:44 pm
Well we are falling into chaos now with all this short term fix it. The Chinese on the other hand have great foresight, history always does a complete circle and goes round and round, the covid chaos is just a glimpse of things to come to pass.